Summer Entry???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jesspaletsky

Summer Entry???

Postby jesspaletsky » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:12 pm

I am looking for summer entry, I could go in fall but would prefer to get a jump start. I cannot find a comprehensive list of schools that allow for summer entry. Can anyone help? Thanks.

bk1

Re: Summer Entry???

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:20 pm

This is a very poor way to pick a school. While there are some schools that do this, they vary widely in how good they are. The only summer start program that is at a respectable school is UMich.

johndelclay

Postby johndelclay » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:26 pm

bk1 wrote:This is a very poor way to pick a school. While there are some schools that do this, they vary widely in how good they are. The only summer start program that is at a respectable school is UMich.

Definitely agree with you. :)

jesspaletsky

Postby jesspaletsky » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:40 pm

There is also Duke and University of Richmond
Last edited by jesspaletsky on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:45 pm

jesspaletsky wrote:There is also Duke and University of Richmond. You are correct in that schools offering summer entry vary widely in quality. DOES ANYONE KNOW MORE SCHOOLS THAT OFFER SUMMER ENTRY? I am not coming straight out of college, after college I got my MBA and then was a broker for Morgan Stanley and I can't wait any longer so going early is a huge priority. Everyone makes their choices based on their own needs, not everyone is the same! There are only 11 schools that offer spring admission which also vary widely in quality. Baylor seems decent as does Yeshiva but I do not want to live in Waco or NYC. I haven't got my June LSAT scores back but on practice I was a 164, I could be anywhere from 160-167. My undergrad GPA was a 3.8 and I went to Emory, my GPA for my MBA was a 4.0. I have some nice soft factors in my favor such as serving on the board of directors for 2 years for a nonprofit Arts organization. Do I even have a chance at UMich?

3 months is really that big a deal? I am being serious that the only real summer start JD program worth going to is Michigan's, which your LSAT will likely be too low for. If you score in your 164-167 range, you should retake the LSAT and select schools based on quality rather than whether or not they start 3 months earlier. I mean how on earth you are valuing 3 months as being worth more than the quality of the program you attend is beyond me.

Also, Duke does not offer summer entry for a JD, only for certain dual degree programs.

jesspaletsky

Postby jesspaletsky » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm just trying to get a list together to figure out my options. I have a feeling there are a lot of things beyond you.

jesspaletsky

Postby jesspaletsky » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Ok I feel bad about my post with my snappy reply. I usually type my reply and then edit it to be more professional what can I say other than I have long hours at work.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:02 pm

jesspaletsky wrote:Ok I feel bad about my post with my snappy reply. I usually type my reply and then edit it to be more professional what can I say other than I have long hours at work.

So interested in starting in the summer? Cooley has a summer term:
http://www.cooley.edu/prospective/calendar.html
EDIT: And it's in Michigan!
Last edited by scammedhard on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:02 pm

jesspaletsky wrote:Ok I feel bad about my post with my snappy reply. I usually type my reply and then edit it to be more professional what can I say other than I have long hours at work.

I understand I am being very brusque, but I seriously cannot fathom why you would make 3 months more important than school quality (or scholarship money or location of the school). For example, let's say you only wanted to go to school in NYC. Of the schools you could get into, it makes no sense to take Cardozo over Fordham just because it starts 3 months earlier. Fordham is much more reputable and places its students into much better jobs (see here --LinkRemoved-- for data showing this, though it is old).

jesspaletsky

Postby jesspaletsky » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:05 pm

It is a priority for me, it may not be what I do but it is a priority. I did not know UMich offered summer entry till you told me, so thanks. Does anyone know of any others so I can get together a comprehensive list of options?

I could go earlier in Spring but I really don't like the 11 schools that offer so I extended my range, I will extend again if I feel there is nowhere worth going to in summer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:11 pm

jesspaletsky wrote:It is a priority for me, it may not be what I do but it is a priority. I did not know UMich offered summer entry till you told me, so thanks. Does anyone know of any others so I can get together a comprehensive list of options?

A quick Google does not provide a comprehensive list. Off the top of my head the top 2 programs that do this are UMich and Cardozo, which means that anybody else who does it is worse than Cardozo. I understand being impatient but I am trying to help you and say that going to a summer start program other than Michigan is generally a bad career move. The reason I say this is that only about 70% of 2009 Cardozo grads got full time jobs as lawyers (source: --LinkRemoved--) and the schools below Cardozo are uniformly worse than this.

But I'll give it a rest.

jesspaletsky

Postby jesspaletsky » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks, I am listening to you.

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm pretty sure not a lot of schools have this option. Why is this so important to you. It seems like a really foolish way to pick a school...

jesspaletsky

Postby jesspaletsky » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:25 pm

It's just one priority (not the only) and I'm just looking for the list. I have other priorities and I could very well wait and take Oct 2011 LSAT. I am so anxious to get my score back so I have a better idea of what is possible!

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:29 pm

jesspaletsky wrote:It's just one priority (not the only) and I'm just looking for the list. I have other priorities and I could very well wait and take Oct 2011 LSAT. I am so anxious to get my score back so I have a better idea of what is possible!

Another priority of mine is to be in the Northeast actually. My boyfriend works in Philly and we are anxious to get married and start our life.

Unless you get a 180, most of TLSers (myself included) are going to advocate for RETAKE/REAPPLY.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:30 pm

scammedhard wrote:Unless you get a 180, most of TLSers (my self included) are going to advocate for RETAKE/REAPPLY.

This is a bit hyperbolic. Once you get a 170+ diminishing returns start to kick in (especially once you hit 172+).

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:32 pm

scammedhard wrote:
jesspaletsky wrote:It's just one priority (not the only) and I'm just looking for the list. I have other priorities and I could very well wait and take Oct 2011 LSAT. I am so anxious to get my score back so I have a better idea of what is possible!

Another priority of mine is to be in the Northeast actually. My boyfriend works in Philly and we are anxious to get married and start our life.

Unless you get a 180, most of TLSers (myself included) are going to advocate for RETAKE/REAPPLY.

Don't think so...

jesspaletsky

Postby jesspaletsky » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Other question:
Can your recommendations and evaluations come from the same person? And if they can, should they? Or is it better to cast a wider net of people?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 pm

jesspaletsky wrote:Other question:
Can your recommendations and evaluations come from the same person? And if they can, should they? Or is it better to cast a wider net of people?

I assume they can. I might be out of the loop because I applied this cycle and evals were brand new to this cycle so no schools really cared, but you should check to see if schools actually care about receiving them.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:05 am

IUb had a one class summer start. Some schools like Cardozo are full time class loads, and from ppl there i've heard they want to die. May-May with little break.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:57 am

no summer entry, but if time is your concern, Northwestern and I believe Widner in deleware has a 2 year jd.

jesspaletsky

Postby jesspaletsky » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

[quote="jesspaletsky"]There is also Duke and University of Richmond. You are correct in that schools offering summer entry vary widely in quality.

jable500

Postby jable500 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Drake offers an summer entry program. It basically puts you ahead one semester unless you want to lighten your course load.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”