Undergrade GPA vs. Grad GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DC_Patent_Law

Undergrade GPA vs. Grad GPA

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Hey All,

I have 3.72 BS and a 3.5 MS GPA from a top 10 engineering school. I know that grad school GPA doesn't matter much. Should I leave it out? I can add an addendum explaining why I got a 3.5 - I finished grad school in 1 year with a minor in computer science and management. I had to do it in 1 year because of financial reasons.

Thanks,
DCPL

SoPro

Re: Undergrade GPA vs. Grad GPA

Postby SoPro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "leave it out."

As far as I know, your grad school grades aren't calculated into your LSDAS GPA.
Do law schools receive a copy of your grad school transcript?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:46 pm

I believe you are required to submit a grad transcript. I wouldn't write an addendum, though.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:51 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Hey All,

I have 3.72 BS and a 3.5 MS GPA from a top 10 engineering school. I know that grad school GPA doesn't matter much. Should I leave it out? I can add an addendum explaining why I got a 3.5 - I finished grad school in 1 year with a minor in computer science and management. I had to do it in 1 year because of financial reasons.

Thanks,
DCPL

Don't even mention it, it just brings attention to it. And 3.5 isn't even that bad.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:26 pm

cinephile wrote:I believe you are required to submit a grad transcript. I wouldn't write an addendum, though.

Any reason why I shouldn't write an addendum? Most people graduate master's programs with a 4.0 (mostly phd track students who take 1 or 2 classes per semester). That's why I was leaning towards an addendum.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks,
DCPL

Don't even mention it, it just brings attention to it. And 3.5 isn't even that bad.

DF, they really won't notice it? That's great! Like I said above, a lot of MS grads get a 4.0. That's why I was leaning towards an addendum.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:36 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks,
DCPL

DF, they really won't notice it? That's great! Like I said above, a lot of MS grads get a 4.0. That's why I was leaning towards an addendum.

They might notice, but they won't really care. They are mostly focused on LSAT and UGPA. Either way I doubt they are going to know your MS was easy A's.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:58 pm

Agree that it doesn't matter, plus I remember reading something from the Ivey guide saying that superfluous addenda make reading your file more frustrating for admissions officers.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Your master grades arent looked at in the rankings, so they dont care.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:39 pm

This question has been addressed at length in other forums. If the question is "leave it out" of your resume, I would say yes. 3.5 GPA in grad school is not impressive, but if you don't put it on there, no one is going to ask you what your GPA was. The admissions people will see your grad transcript regardless. And definitely do not include an addendum. If you had scored a 3.0, that would be a different story.

As I have said in a bazillion other forums (I will continue this crusade), grad school does matter. I had a 4.0 in my PhD program and almost all of my interviewers commented on it. (I'm a little more skeptical of the worth of an MA/MS/MBA, but...)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:57 pm

snichols16 wrote:This question has been addressed at length in other forums. If the question is "leave it out" of your resume, I would say yes. 3.5 GPA in grad school is not impressive, but if you don't put it on there, no one is going to ask you what your GPA was. The admissions people will see your grad transcript regardless. And definitely do not include an addendum. If you had scored a 3.0, that would be a different story.

As I have said in a bazillion other forums (I will continue this crusade), grad school does matter. I had a 4.0 in my PhD program and almost all of my interviewers commented on it. (I'm a little more skeptical of the worth of an MA/MS/MBA, but...)

You assume your interviews matter. One of my class mates smelled like Barf and got called out by the interviewer for it, and she's here on scholarship.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
snichols16 wrote:This question has been addressed at length in other forums. If the question is "leave it out" of your resume, I would say yes. 3.5 GPA in grad school is not impressive, but if you don't put it on there, no one is going to ask you what your GPA was. The admissions people will see your grad transcript regardless. And definitely do not include an addendum. If you had scored a 3.0, that would be a different story.

You assume your interviews matter. One of my class mates smelled like Barf and got called out by the interviewer for it, and she's here on scholarship.

In the context of this conversation, my point was that it gets noticed. But if we want to take it one step further, it does indeed matter (whether that was to interviewers or the admissions people who read mine and other PhD holders applications). It's been covered in other threads and doesn't really pertain to OP's original question, so I won't go into it.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks. If my grad GPA does get noticed and as you said, and its not considered impressive, then why skip the addendum? A little confused here. Also, is not mentioning the grad degree considered dishonest?

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:41 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:

Thanks. If my grad GPA does get noticed and as you said, and its not considered impressive, then why skip the addendum? A little confused here. Also, is not mentioning the grad degree considered dishonest?

By "not impressive" I mean that it's not exceptionally good or bad, so there is no need for an addendum. 3.5 is good enough for grad school. I agree with the other poster that one should limit the amount of stuff admissions reps have to read (e.g. addendums) unless they are in extreme cases (e.g. addendum to a 2.0 UGPA, extra LOR from Bill Clinton, picture of you knocking out Mike Tyson, etc).

Also, why wouldn't you mention the grad degree? It's an accomplishment and a good soft. I'm not sure if there is a rule that you have to disclose all post-secondary education, but I would definitely include it if I were you.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:57 pm

By "not impressive" I mean that it's not exceptionally good or bad, so there is no need for an addendum. 3.5 is good enough for grad school. I agree with the other poster that one should limit the amount of stuff admissions reps have to read (e.g. addendums) unless they are in extreme cases (e.g. addendum to a 2.0 UGPA, extra LOR from Bill Clinton, picture of you knocking out Mike Tyson, etc).

Sweet, thanks all.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:00 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Your master grades arent looked at in the rankings, so they dont care.

this- but you may still need to send your graduate transcript to the schools. Keep it on there, you earned that degree ( even though it doesnt help in admissions, its still an accomplishment)

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:31 pm

northwood wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Your master grades arent looked at in the rankings, so they dont care.

this- but you may still need to send your graduate transcript to the schools. Keep it on there, you earned that degree ( even though it doesnt help in admissions, its still an accomplishment)

This just about covers it.

If TLS has taught me anything, its that law school is a numbers game. Though they might notice your grade degree, and they may even comment on it, its not going to make one bit of difference on whether or not you get in.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks,
DCPL

Graduate programs have minors? What?

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 am

bport hopeful wrote:
If TLS has taught me anything, its that law school is a numbers game. Though they might notice your grade degree, and they may even comment on it, its not going to make one bit of difference on whether or not you get in.

I will stick on my crusade that TLS wisdom on the impact graduate degrees have on admissions is false. Again, MA/MS/MBA will not help so much, but a PhD improves your file much more than TLS wisdom would suggest.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:43 am

Cant imagine they would give it much attention due to most everyone else not even submitting a grad gpa

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:59 pm

snichols16 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

I will stick on my crusade that TLS wisdom on the impact graduate degrees have on admissions is false. Again, MA/MS/MBA will not help so much, but a PhD improves your file much more than TLS wisdom would suggest.

Im going to go stand on a street corner and yell "The sky is green and the grass is blue", despite the overwhelming, and in the open evidence against these claims.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:22 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

Im going to go stand on a street corner and yell "The sky is green and the grass is blue", despite the overwhelming, and in the open evidence against these claims.

Best of luck in your legal career...

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:26 pm

snichols16 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

Best of luck in your legal career...

You too man. Sorry about that last comment. May have been a bit harsh, but it popped in my head.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:20 pm

snichols16 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

I might have some anecdotal evidence to suggest that this might be true. Some of the peeps at my firms who had Phds got into Georgetown 4-5 years ago with 163-165 LSATs. /2cents.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:37 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

I might have some anecdotal evidence to suggest that this might be true. Some of the peeps at my firms who had Phds got into Georgetown 4-5 years ago with 163-165 LSATs. /2cents.

I think some schools will give a boost for people they think are very employable, like PhD in Eng/Sci.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”