Very confused at the LOR forms

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bittner1989

Very confused at the LOR forms

Postby Bittner1989 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Sorry that this may be the dumbest question you will look at this month, but I currently have 4 people willing to give me great LORs (3 professors, one former boss who is a lawyer)

Obviously, Sending 4 to each school is overkill and unnecessary. But I still don't know which schools I'll be applying for, as I wont get my LSAT score back until the 29th and may be taking them again this upcoming October.

When it comes to adding recommenders like this:

I get confused at what it means when it asks how many LORs that person will write. When I select 1, does it mean for just one school or does it mean the recommender will give me one recommendation that I would use to apply to all different schools?

Underneath it where it asks for the special instructions, I obviously don't want my recommender to give it to all law schools because I have 4, but I don't know what to specifically say in the directions, as I still lack a list of law schools I plan on applying to.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks.

bk1

Re: Very confused at the LOR forms

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm

When you select one it means that recommender is writing a single LoR. Recommenders send the LoR's to LSAC and then you can assign them (once you get to the actual application) to as many or as few law schools as you want.

Bittner1989

Postby Bittner1989 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:32 pm

So should I leave the Letter Description blank or should I fill it in?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Bittner1989 wrote:So should I leave the Letter Description blank or should I fill it in?

It has an asterisk next to it, which I assume means you have to fill in that field. Call it 'for all law schools.' That doesn't mean you're required to send it everywhere, it's just to remind you that Prof X wrote you a generic letter (for all law schools) and Prof Y wrote you one for Stanford only, because you won't be able to view the letters themselves in the LSAC system.

Later on, when you're working on individual school applications, you'll pick which letters go to that school from your list of four 'for all law school' letters.

Bittner1989

Postby Bittner1989 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bittner1989 wrote:So should I leave the Letter Description blank or should I fill it in?

It has an asterisk next to it, which I assume means you have to fill in that field. Call it 'for all law schools.' That doesn't mean you're required to send it everywhere, it's just to remind you that Prof X wrote you a generic letter (for all law schools) and Prof Y wrote you one for Stanford only, because you won't be able to view the letters themselves in the LSAC system.

Later on, when you're working on individual school applications, you'll pick which letters go to that school from your list of four 'for all law school' letters.

Man, I'd kill for Professor X to write me a LOR....

But in all sincerity, thanks. I really appreciate the quick responses.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Bittner1989 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I'd just have him control the adcomm's mind into admitting me. :D

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:50 pm

Bittner1989 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Didn't even realize I'd done that. :P

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”