community college professor letter of rec? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mooseman2216

New

community college professor letter of rec?

Post by mooseman2216 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:41 am

i have a professor at a community college this summer who also happened to be my senior year high school english teacher. i know her very well and she is very familiar with my academic
capabilities. one of my other LOR will come from a professor in my major at my undergrad and the third(optional at most schools) one will be from my supervisor at the job I worked all through undergrad.

will ad comms look down on the community college professors letter? my gut tells me no because she is probably much more familiar with the qualities ad comms are looking for than my university professor, but i dont want to make a fatal mistake in my apps process. so i come to you TLS community.

any helpful advice?

Bashy

Bronze

Re: community college professor letter of rec?

Post by Bashy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:31 am

I imagine you wouldn't be adversely affect by turning in an LOR from a community college professor. As best as I can tell, adcomms are more interested in the quality of the candidate than the pedigree of the recommending professor.

Note: I could be completely wrong. Maybe build a consensus, but I just wanted to throw in what I thought to be a quick, common sense answer in case you were pressed for time.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:00 am

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, adcoms want letters that reveal important insights about your abilities. They, to a certain degree, don't care who wrote them. I've seen suggestions that you get letters from TAs if they knoy your work better than the professors do. In academia, TAs are at the very bottom of the food chain. If these letters are acceptable, even at T1 schools, then I don't see any reason why a letter from a CC prof would detrimental as long as he/she knows you well. A well-written letter is a well-written letter.

BTW, I had letter of recommendation of a CC dean (who also happens to be my boss) and it didn't seem to hurt me.

JayTeeDee

New

Post by JayTeeDee » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:26 am

I didn't want to start a new thread but I was wondering if the credibility of a teacher matters? Such as the head of a department vs an associate professor and a masters vs a ph.d?

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:16 am

JayTeeDee wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread but I was wondering if the credibility of a teacher matters? Such as the head of a department vs an associate professor and a masters vs a ph.d?
I imagine as long as it's a professor who can give an objective evaluation of your ability and not just your friend who also happens to be a junior professor in the basket weaving department, the adcomms don't care.

Edited for clarity.

mooseman2216

New

Post by mooseman2216 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:44 pm

thanks for the advice guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”