What is the impact of credit/no credit classes on GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dsosah

What is the impact of credit/no credit classes on GPA?

Postby dsosah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Hello, I recently decided to pursue Law School but I have a weird situation with one of the schools I attended. I have a nice GPA in the first college I attended for two years, however I spent two semesters in an Art School that only gave out credit/no credit grades (I took 18 credits there) Finally I will be finishing my degree at a regular university with hopefully a good GPA as well.
My question is, how will these credit/no credit classes affect my overall GPA for the LSAT? I've heard that they are considered all grades of C and I'm freaking out over this. What if these classes did not count towards my degree? If anybody has any info on this I will greatly appreciate your response.
Thank you!

Re: What is the impact of credit/no credit classes on GPA?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Unless you failed, it looks like they will not be converted. Straight from the LSAC website: http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp

Grades Excluded from Conversion:

LSAC wrote:Passing grades from systems of one or two passing grades (e.g., Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, Credit/No Credit, or Honors/Pass/Fail, High Pass/Pass/Fail), and those for which conversion rules cannot be formulated, including courses for which a transcript gives only narratives or descriptions. Credits for the work in these courses are totaled and reported separately as unconverted credits.

LSAC wrote:A No Credit grade that does not signify failure and for which no attempt at credit was made (e.g., NC=No Credit/Withdraw, or NC=No Credit Attempted).

Failing grades:

LSAC wrote:Any grade notation that signifies failure (such as No Credit, No Credit/Fail, Not Passing, Incomplete/Fail, Withdraw/Fail, Unsatisfactory, Fail, etc.) is converted to zero on the 4.0 scale and is included in the calculation of the GPA, even if the issuing school considers the grade to be nonpunitive. Failure is defined as credit attempted but not earned. If a transcript is not clear about credit attempted, LSAC staff will contact the registrar at the issuing school to confirm whether course credit was attempted. Incomplete and Withdraw grades considered punitive by the issuing school will be included in the conversion. The only exception to this policy is for No Credit, Withdraw/Fail, repeated courses, and incomplete grades specifically explained in Grades Excluded From Conversion.

Sometimes it helps to do some research on the LSAC website. Good luck!

dsosah

Re: What is the impact of credit/no credit classes on GPA?

Postby dsosah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:26 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Unless you failed, it looks they will not be converted. Straight from the LSAC website: http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp

Thank you so much for your answer, this really helps, I didn't know where to look for this info, thank you! :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”