Airfare for west-coast visits/interviews: Worth it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlabamaIceman

Airfare for west-coast visits/interviews: Worth it?

Postby AlabamaIceman » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:30 pm

It would be a cross-country trip, probably from Atlanta to LAX. I'm more or less broke, so obviously this would be a shoestring trip, possibly planned right before school starts this fall, considering that my semesters are going to be busy and
I would have my LSAT score by then.

So is it worth it for the sake of seeing these places I might otherwise be moving to blindly? About 70% of my schools I would love to be accepted to are west coast, and 4 of them (USC, UCLA, Loyola, Pepperdine), are in Los Angeles, with Stanford lying a bit further out. Still though, the big thing for me would trying to figure out how to stay and drive around the area.

Do any of these schools allow prospective students to stay in any on-campus housing while looking around, or is that a vestige of undergrad tours? Also, considering that my LSAT score (from June, pending absence of any tragedies) will be firm and in place and that I'll be otherwise ready to line up some applications (hopefully early) ASAP, are interviews a possibility for me to line up as well? That is, one that would be useful?

tl;dr: Fly to L.A. to see/interview at schools on my own dollar before my senior year of UG starts, yay/nay?

bk1

Re: Airfare for west-coast visits/interviews: Worth it?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Considering Loyola, Pepperdine, and... Stanford? That is odd.

These schools (like most schools) don't do interviews. Law schools also don't do tours during the summer because there is nothing going on.

Basically, I would also wait to visit these schools until you actually have acceptances from them. It makes no sense to visit them now.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:37 pm

bk1 wrote:Basically, I would also wait to visit these schools until you actually have acceptances from them. It makes no sense to visit them now.

TITCR

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:37 pm

bk1 wrote:Considering Loyola, Pepperdine, and... Stanford? That is odd.

These schools (like most schools) don't do interviews. Law schools also don't do tours during the summer because there is nothing going on.

Basically, I would also wait to visit these schools until you actually have acceptances from them. It makes no sense to visit them now.

Well Stanford is more of a consideration if I get a "dance around the house naked" result when my score comes in later this month, and Pepperdine is something of an off-setting consideration to that hypothetical.

But you did answer my question. No visits are worthwhile without acceptances then?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:40 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:Well Stanford is more of a consideration if I get a "dance around the house naked" result when my score comes in later this month, and Pepperdine is something of an off-setting consideration to that hypothetical.

But you did answer my question. No visits are worthwhile without acceptances then?

Well I mean you basically can't afford it right now and it might be a waste of money depending on where you get in (LA is a big place and these schools are in different areas). Plus, it makes far more sense to do it when you get in and make a trip out of going to admitted student days and some of them even give you a stipend when you attend those things.

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
AlabamaIceman wrote:Well Stanford is more of a consideration if I get a "dance around the house naked" result when my score comes in later this month, and Pepperdine is something of an off-setting consideration to that hypothetical.

Well I mean you basically can't afford it right now and it might be a waste of money depending on where you get in (LA is a big place and these schools are in different areas). Plus, it makes far more sense to do it when you get in and make a trip out of going to admitted student days and some of them even give you a stipend when you attend those things.

Understood. Thanks. Back to agonizing over my PS then.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:50 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Understood. Thanks. Back to agonizing over my PS then.

You should post it here

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:52 pm

shoeshine wrote:You should post it here

I plan on it, once it reaches that stage.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”