Elite undergrad to shitty law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Exeter

Elite undergrad to shitty law school?

Postby Exeter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:19 pm

I applied to a large amount of schools and have joined many facebook pages/admitted student sites. I keep seeing a great deal of people from elite UG going to TTT and TTTT law schools. I am going to safely assume that most are paying sticker at the school. Anyone have any reason as how this happens? Are they unaware of what is going on? For exmaple, I just find it hard to believe that someone who went to Princeton UG in stuck going to Suffolk Law.

JamMasterJ

Re: Elite undergrad to shitty law school?

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 pm

If you suck at the LSAT and don't have good grades, no one gives a shit that you went to Princeton. Mediocre is mediocre

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Elite undergrad and shitty numbers, I guess

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:28 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:If you suck at the LSAT and don't have good grades, no one gives a shit that you went to Princeton. Mediocre is mediocre

No one cares that you went to Princeton period.

théo

Postby théo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Hmmm…maybe it depends on how they got into Princeton. Were they actually smart or did their parents just fund a new building? You never know.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:33 pm

théo wrote:Hmmm…maybe it depends on how they got into Princeton. Were they actually smart or did their parents just fund a new building? You never know.

OP is Matt Damon from School Ties, though I guess that was Harvard

EDITED for accuracy of reference

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:41 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:If you suck at the LSAT and don't have good grades, no one gives a shit that you went to Princeton. Mediocre is mediocre

This, basically.

futurelawstudent1

Postby futurelawstudent1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Considering that the average LSAT at most Ivies and other elite schools is in the low 160s, no one should find this trend surprising.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 pm

The "reason" for it is self-evident. A better question is why you would do it.

If you're an HYPSM undergrad, and you aren't that bright but really want to be a lawyer and you get a 165 on the LSAT, that's fine: go to Emory and be the best damn Emory student you can be.

But when you start hearing kids go Columbia --> BLS/Touro, that's what I really don't get. This should be a personal pride thing.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:06 pm

A surprising amount of people at elite schools really aren't that smart. A lot got in on URM status/legacy/donating to the school. There's a surprisingly low amount of people who got in on merit alone (IE, poor White/Asian/Indian dude from a trailer park who happens to be smart).\

Also, maybe the smart people in elite schools just slacked off as well. Who knows. Meh.

slacker

Postby slacker » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:10 pm

This shouldn't surprise anyone who actually knows a lot of people at elite undergrads.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Helicio wrote:A surprising amount of people at elite schools really aren't that smart. A lot got in on URM status/legacy/donating to the school. There's a surprisingly low amount of people who got in on merit alone (IE, poor White/Asian/Indian dude from a trailer park who happens to be smart).\

Also, maybe the smart people in elite schools just slacked off as well. Who knows. Meh.

Wait, so if you aren't poor you didn't get into school on merit?

Your post is so full of fail.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:12 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

This, basically.

To add on to it: even if you have decent grades, if you suck at the LSAT you will still often go to poor schools. Being a 4.0/150 is pretty crappy.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Helicio wrote:A surprising amount of people at elite schools really aren't that smart. A lot got in on URM status/legacy/donating to the school. There's a surprisingly low amount of people who got in on merit alone (IE, poor White/Asian/Indian dude from a trailer park who happens to be smart).\

Wait, so if you aren't poor you didn't get into school on merit?

Your post is so full of fail.

All of Helicio's posts are failtastic.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

The real question is: why do you care where anyone other than yourself goes to law school? Does it make you feel better to see someone who went from HYS > Cooley, brah?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:19 pm

paratactical wrote:All of Helicio's posts are failtastic.

+1

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:26 pm

SAT and high school is too easy to promise that all elite admits are super smart. Plus, elite schools will admit people with alternative backgrounds.

SAT tests algerbra yet allows you to use a graphing calculator. It's TTT as fuck.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Exeter wrote:I applied to a large amount of schools and have joined many facebook pages/admitted student sites. I keep seeing a great deal of people from elite UG going to TTT and TTTT law schools. I am going to safely assume that most are paying sticker at the school. Anyone have any reason as how this happens? Are they unaware of what is going on? For exmaple, I just find it hard to believe that someone who went to Princeton UG in stuck going to Suffolk Law.

PrinceTTTon has retards too

they're just more entitled

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:30 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:The real question is: why do you care where anyone other than yourself goes to law school? Does it make you feel better to see someone who went from HYS > Cooley, brah?

this.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Exeter wrote:I applied to a large amount of schools and have joined many facebook pages/admitted student sites. I keep seeing a great deal of people from elite UG going to TTT and TTTT law schools. I am going to safely assume that most are paying sticker at the school. Anyone have any reason as how this happens? Are they unaware of what is going on? For exmaple, I just find it hard to believe that someone who went to Princeton UG in stuck going to Suffolk Law.

Also I don't think you should be assuming that they are paying sticker. If I went to Princeton at sticker for 40K a year and graduated with 200K in debt, I think I'd be looking for the biggest scholarship possible from a law school. That being said, unless those individuals rock their TTT/TTTT (which they very well might) their decision is probably a bad one. Also, we had a kid from Yale undergrad at our T2, but (surprise surprise) he graduated at the bottom of his class.

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:50 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:The real question is: why do you care where anyone other than yourself goes to law school? Does it make you feel better to see someone who went from HYS > Cooley, brah?

I love when people decide to randomly take the "moral highroad" for no good reason.

Take my quiz:
People on this site start threads like this because they
A. Care
B. Are bored, and curious about something they noticed and want to ask other people about it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:52 pm

kwais wrote:

I love when people decide to randomly take the "moral highroad" for no good reason.

Take my quiz:
A. Care
B. Are bored, and curious about something they noticed and want to ask other people about it. Care

Fixed the quiz for you.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:59 pm

bk1 wrote:
kwais wrote:

Take my quiz:
A. Care
B. Are bored, and curious about something they noticed and want to ask other people about it. Care

Fixed the quiz for you.

B... I think the answer is B

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:00 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
bk1 wrote:
kwais wrote:

Take my quiz:
A. Care

Fixed the quiz for you.

B... I think the answer is B

No wait, the answer is C, they start these threads to give you a platform to take the moral highroad. How nice of them.

witorres89

Postby witorres89 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Elite law schools have lots of rich kids. Going to a TTT isn't a bad financial decision if you have a trust fund and your parents pay the bills.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”