ZERO softs. what to do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wolfpack37

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 pm

ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby wolfpack37 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:39 am

Hey everyone,

TLDR VERSION: 3.5 LSAC GPA, 172 LSAT, mediocre-poor LORs, no softs. Applying in the fall. Advice?

I slacked pretty hard my freshmen year, and ended it with a 2.77 GPA (maybe 2.76 LSAC). Anyways, my sophomore year I started realizing that I was a jackass, and picked it up a bit, but not as drastically as I probably should have. Anyways, it was near the end of sophomore year that I really decided I wanted to go to law school (it was always a sort of far off dream). I decided that the route to take was improving my GPA, and honestly I was just too lazy to pursue any soft factors that could benefit my application. Regardless, by the time I realized it might become an issue, I was in GPA-improvement mode, taking as many classes as possible. In the fall I took 20 units, and in the spring I took 28 (for reference a regular courseload is 15 units). The courseload that I've had this year is my only thing that is remotely out of the ordinary. That puts me here, now. I'm not at a great school (a state school), my major isn't especially difficult (Finance, minor in Psychology), and I really feel like my applications, beyond the numbers, are set up to be horrific right now. I plan to apply in the fall. I'd really appreciate some advice, especially from someone who may have been in a similar situation.

Thanks!

User avatar
MURPH

Silver
Posts: 852
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby MURPH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:52 am

Just write a decent PS and apply early. No one gives a shit about your softs. Go to whatever school offers you the $$$$. You can have a life later.

User avatar
Wade LeBosh

Bronze
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby Wade LeBosh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 am

I don't mean to hijack your thread but this ties in. I'm a year away from applications with only music-related softs (I'm a music major). Considering I don't apply until Fall 12 would it be worth it to reallocate sometime to student organizations? I'm into politics so I could would a political organization (do schools care about political affiliation?), but I'm not very big on "volunteering" because music courses and LSAT are so time-consuming. I don't want it to look like all I did in college was play piano and study for LSAT (I also drank a lot, but I won't put that in the app :lol: ). Keep in mind that I'm an AA Male

User avatar
Kilpatrick

Silver
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:46 am

wolfpack37 wrote:172 LSAT



You don't need softs when you have this.

User avatar
TTH

Diamond
Posts: 10470
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:57 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
wolfpack37 wrote:172 LSAT



You don't need softs when you have this.

User avatar
Wade LeBosh

Bronze
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby Wade LeBosh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:37 am

TTH wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
wolfpack37 wrote:172 LSAT



You don't need softs when you have this.


Even for T10 schools?

User avatar
TTH

Diamond
Posts: 10470
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40 am

Wade LeBosh wrote:
TTH wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
wolfpack37 wrote:172 LSAT



You don't need softs when you have this.


Even for T10 schools?


Well, not for you. Your atrocious username will result in auto-dings from every reputable school in the country.

User avatar
Kilpatrick

Silver
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 am

Softs matter for HYS, but 3.5/172 probably wasn't going to get you there any way. But you're virtually assured at least one T14, especially if you're app is already to go and you submit on the first day possible

SG09

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby SG09 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:57 am

Just about every updated profile on LSN this cycle with a 172 LSAT and a GPA between 3.5 and 3.6 got into a top 6 school.

So you're probably in pretty good shape. Just make sure to apply early.

User avatar
almightypush

Bronze
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby almightypush » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:07 am

TTH wrote:Well, not for you. Your atrocious username will result in auto-dings from every reputable school in the country.


god, this reply is SO credited.

futurelawstudent1

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby futurelawstudent1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:58 am

SG09 wrote:Just about every updated profile on LSN this cycle with a 172 LSAT and a GPA between 3.5 and 3.6 got into a top 6 school.

So you're probably in pretty good shape. Just make sure to apply early.


Yes, but the vast majority of them had at least some softs, probably significant ones. The top law schools do care about softs; they just aren't obsessed with them like undergraduate schools are.

Also, telling the OP he is likely to get into a T6 is horribly misleading. The only T6 where he has a decent shot is NYU.

094320

Gold
Posts: 4086
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby 094320 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:10 pm

..

SG09

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby SG09 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm

...
Last edited by SG09 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
bostonlawchick

Bronze
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Did you have a part time job or did you just focus on schoolwork? I had no softs at all either (not one EC while in college) and I think I did exactly how my numbers predicted I should have.

wolfpack37

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby wolfpack37 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:23 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Did you have a part time job or did you just focus on schoolwork? I had no softs at all either (not one EC while in college) and I think I did exactly how my numbers predicted I should have.


I've had a part-time job for 2 of 6 semesters.

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's really uplifting. And ya, I've looked at LSN profiles with similar numbers to me, and almost all of them have significant other softs, WE, better UG institution, etc. I just really feel like what is backing my #'s is noticeably worse than others', so hopefully y'all are correct and everything works out!

User avatar
Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold
Posts: 1724
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:27 pm

Don't need softs when you got that 170+ LSAT SWAG bro.

User avatar
Deuce

Silver
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:I don't mean to hijack your thread but this ties in. I'm a year away from applications with only music-related softs (I'm a music major). Considering I don't apply until Fall 12 would it be worth it to reallocate sometime to student organizations? I'm into politics so I could would a political organization (do schools care about political affiliation?), but I'm not very big on "volunteering" because music courses and LSAT are so time-consuming. I don't want it to look like all I did in college was play piano and study for LSAT (I also drank a lot, but I won't put that in the app :lol: ). Keep in mind that I'm an AA Male


Your username..... nice.

CanadianWolf

Diamond
Posts: 10714
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:30 pm

May hurt at a few highly selective law schools, but the 172 & respectable GPA will satisfy the rest.

User avatar
Wade LeBosh

Bronze
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: ZERO softs. what to do?

Postby Wade LeBosh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:24 pm

TTH wrote:Well, not for you. Your atrocious username will result in auto-dings from every reputable school in the country.


I'm born and raised in Miami-Wade county, I have the right :lol:

I'm starting to think I should not worry about ECs. It would be kind of silly to do something only for the sake of applications right?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests