Law School 2012- 3.8 UGPA; 148 LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ladylaw06

Law School 2012- 3.8 UGPA; 148 LSAT

Postby ladylaw06 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi All!

I was hoping I could get some feedback as to the likelihood/possibility of me getting in to some law schools in Texas. I graduated from the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff in May 2010 with a 3.86 cumulative GPA. My major was Political Science. I took the LSAT twice in 2009, once in October and once in December. I scored a 148 in October and a 144 in December. I'm taking/took a couple years off and am hoping to go to law school in Fall of 2012. I just completed a Kaplan Extreme Advanced course (I won't expound on how I feel about that class) and I just took the LSAT again this past Monday, June 06, 2011. So, I've taken the LSAT a total of 3 times. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to move to Texas and go to law school there, preferably at one of these schools: SMU Dedman, Texas Southern University, The University of Texas School of Law, and University of Houston Law Center. So with all of that being said, can you guys and gals give me some feedback as to my chance of getting in?

kalvano

Re: Law School 2012- 3.8 UGPA; 148 LSAT

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 pm

The only one you have even a vague shot at, as it stands, is Texas Southern. Don't go there.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am

This is just based on lawschoolnumbers.com (LSN) which is the best resource for that stuff, and is just taken from the graphs of the '10-'11 cycle.

SMU admitted 3 people with 151 LSATs, but the next lowest are 159s. If you get up past 151, with a 3.8 you have a good shot at WL at least.

You'd be very very likely to be accepted at Texas Southern, but
kalvano wrote: Don't go there.
is the correct response.

At Texas Austin, a 166 would give you a good shot, and a 168 or 169 would probably be auto-admit, but that's a big gap to traverse.

And at Houston, a 160 gives you a shot and a 162 is a sure thing.

So in your situation, unless you can really study like mad and get that 148 up past 160, I'd say SMU's your best bet in Texas. Try to get as close to 160 as possible, and if your heart's set on it, apply really early.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:52 am

Those numbers are for the PT program at SMU.

ladylaw06

Postby ladylaw06 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:56 am

kalvano wrote:The only one you have even a vague shot at, as it stands, is Texas Southern. Don't go there.

Why, may I ask, do you suggest that I don't go there? I like to do my research before I just make a decision.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:59 am

ladylaw06 wrote:
kalvano wrote:The only one you have even a vague shot at, as it stands, is Texas Southern. Don't go there.

Why, may I ask, do you suggest that I don't go there? I like to do my research before I just make a decision.

It's very low-ranked. You won't find a job after your done.

Also, if you have to retake again (can you?), try PowerScore instead of Kaplan. The books are good for self-study even without the course.

ladylaw06

Postby ladylaw06 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:59 am

JoeFish wrote:This is just based on lawschoolnumbers.com (LSN) which is the best resource for that stuff, and is just taken from the graphs of the '10-'11 cycle.

SMU admitted 3 people with 151 LSATs, but the next lowest are 159s. If you get up past 151, with a 3.8 you have a good shot at WL at least.

You'd be very very likely to be accepted at Texas Southern, but
kalvano wrote: Don't go there.
is the correct response.

At Texas Austin, a 166 would give you a good shot, and a 168 or 169 would probably be auto-admit, but that's a big gap to traverse.

And at Houston, a 160 gives you a shot and a 162 is a sure thing.

So in your situation, unless you can really study like mad and get that 148 up past 160, I'd say SMU's your best bet in Texas. Try to get as close to 160 as possible, and if your heart's set on it, apply really early.

Thanks! Why do you suggest that I don't go to Texas Southern? I like to do my research before making a decision and your opinion would help greatly. I've already taken the LSAT 3 times now. Don't law schools frown on that? Especially if they don't see a 3-5 point jump? I think the highest I've ever scored on a practice test is 155, so a 160 may not be attainable for me.

ladylaw06

Postby ladylaw06 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:02 am

TTH wrote:
ladylaw06 wrote:

It's very low-ranked. You won't find a job after your done.

Also, if you have to retake again (can you?), try PowerScore instead of Kaplan. The books are good for self-study even without the course.

Well....that would be a good reason not to go there... thanks!

I'm not sure if I can take it again. I've already taken it 3 times...and I think you're allowed 3 times in a 2 year period. But don't schools frown upon taking it 3 times esp if there's not a big jump? So I'd have to wait 5 years for the scores to clear, correct?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 am

Honestly, law school isn't for everyone. The LSAT tests your ability to absorb, analyze, and interpret information in manner similar to that which you will need to succeed in law school. If you have tried repeatedly (participated in prep courses, taken the test over again, etc) and don't possess/cannot attain the necessary skills, then don't waste your money on a T4. Like others have said, it will leave you penniless and unemployed. Dreams are great to have, but not at expense of ruining a good portion of your near future.

See how the June test comes back, but if its not marked improvement, I would look into other employment avenues. You'll probably spend less and make more money anyways.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 am

mrtoren wrote:Honestly, law school isn't for everyone. The LSAT tests your ability to absorb, analyze, and interpret information in manner similar to that which you will need to succeed in law school. If you have tried repeatedly (participated in prep courses, taken the test over again, etc) and don't possess/cannot attain the necessary skills, then don't waste your money on a T4. Like others have said, it will leave you penniless and unemployed. Dreams are great to have, but not at expense of ruining a good portion of your near future.

See how the June test comes back, but if its not marked improvement, I would look into other employment avenues. You'll probably spend less and make more money anyways.

+100000

tehrocstar

Postby tehrocstar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 am

ladylaw06 wrote:Hi All!

I was hoping I could get some feedback as to the likelihood/possibility of me getting in to some law schools in Texas. I graduated from the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff in May 2010 with a 3.86 cumulative GPA. My major was Political Science. I took the LSAT twice in 2009, once in October and once in December. I scored a 148 in October and a 144 in December. I'm taking/took a couple years off and am hoping to go to law school in Fall of 2012. I just completed a Kaplan Extreme Advanced course (I won't expound on how I feel about that class) and I just took the LSAT again this past Monday, June 06, 2011. So, I've taken the LSAT a total of 3 times. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to move to Texas and go to law school there, preferably at one of these schools: SMU Dedman, Texas Southern University, The University of Texas School of Law, and University of Houston Law Center. So with all of that being said, can you guys and gals give me some feedback as to my chance of getting in?

You're probably just studying wrong for the test. Browse these forums, and you'll pick up some great tips on how to perform well on the LSAT. There are a bunch of different methods I've encountered on these forums: Pithypike, SOS method, random other advice, etc. If you have the dedication, there really shouldn't be a reason why you can't improve tremendously.

Also in the end, if you still don't 'settle' for a law school, especially a very low ranked school, if better schools is your goal. Law school costs is virtually the same across the country, why not get the most for your $$? I know you've taken 3 times and you'll have to wait until you're allowed to take your 4th, but if it's truly your goal, then I would reckon it's worth the wait.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Take their advice, study with the methods in detailed in the forum, and retake the LSAT. That's a fantastic GPA you have and you'd have a shot at some great schools or so-so schools with money if you can add 10 pts to that LSAT (not impossible if you use the Powerscore bibles). You have a lot of room for improvement so it shouldn't be difficult to raise that score with the right methods. But please don't let all of that hard work you did in undergrad be for nothing. Work your way through the powerscore bibles and retake in October.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”