How much do softs help? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brownpride

Bronze

How much do softs help?

Post by brownpride » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:27 pm

My goals in the fall are HY, but after yesterday's LSAT I no longer feel like I have a strong chance at getting into either of these. My GPA is 4.18, but the LSAT could very well have put me into the 160s and I may not be able to rewrite for the rest of the cycle. I'm wondering how much softs will help me out. I have a lot of leadership experience, gone through a few leadership programs, have led many student groups and even founded one, 150 hours of volunteering with my Students Union and 450 hours with a hospital. I've also got varied work experience and a full-time research position for the current summer. The research and many of the student groups are directly related to the area of focus I want to have in law school, so I can definitely put together a sincere and coherent application. I'm also expecting my LORs to be quite strong. How much will these softs help me to compensate for the poor LSAT? Will I still stand a good shot at HY?

glitter178

Silver

Re: How much do softs help?

Post by glitter178 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm

brownpride wrote:My goals in the fall are HY, but after yesterday's LSAT I no longer feel like I have a strong chance at getting into either of these. My GPA is 4.18, but the LSAT could very well have put me into the 160s and I may not be able to rewrite for the rest of the cycle. I'm wondering how much softs will help me out. I have a lot of leadership experience, gone through a few leadership programs, have led many student groups and even founded one, 150 hours of volunteering with my Students Union and 450 hours with a hospital. I've also got varied work experience and a full-time research position for the current summer. The research and many of the student groups are directly related to the area of focus I want to have in law school, so I can definitely put together a sincere and coherent application. I'm also expecting my LORs to be quite strong. How much will these softs help me to compensate for the poor LSAT? Will I still stand a good shot at HY?
are you a URM ? that GPA is golden but you're still going to need an LSAT score in the 170's to get HY, unless URM.

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:30 pm

No :(
I'm Indian, still a minority, but that's not gonna do anything for me is it?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Your softs aren't going to give you a 5-10+ point boost on the LSAT.

You really just need to retake.

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Indian is not URM, unfortunately.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 pm

brownpride wrote:No :(
I'm Indian, still a minority, but that's not gonna do anything for me is it?
Nope, Indian is not an UNDER REPRESENTED minority, as far as law schools are concerned. People tend to forget the UR part of URM.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:49 pm

bk187 wrote:Your softs aren't going to give you a 5-10+ point boost on the LSAT.

You really just need to retake.
+1

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Definitely retake.

And also, don't get all maudlin without seeing your score. If you were testing high, it's normal to feel that you underperformed on test day. Not saying you didn't, but give it a day or two to settle.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:23 pm

lol at TLS telling ppl who don't even know their score to retake...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:25 pm

crit_racer wrote:lol at TLS telling ppl who don't even know their score to retake...
Troof. Also lol at the OP running around seeking all kinds of HY advice without a score.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:32 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Good softs are necessary, but not sufficient, at YLS.
Oh you think you're clever.

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Like everyone has said, we can't help you based on your feeling that you may have scored in the 160s. The LAST is designed to wear on you psychologically, and nearly everyone thinks they did worse than they actually did. I wanted to post because I applied last cycle with the exact same GPA. Your softs are going to be necessary (especially for a chance at Yale), but they will not make up for a poor LSAT. Neither will a fantastic GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:38 pm

ebeth wrote:Like everyone has said, we can't help you based on your feeling that you may have scored in the 160s. The LAST is designed to wear on you psychologically, and nearly everyone thinks they did worse than they actually did. I wanted to post because I applied last cycle with the exact same GPA. Your softs are going to be necessary (especially for a chance at Yale), but they will not make up for a poor LSAT. Neither will a fantastic GPA.
I thought I did better than I actually did.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 pm

I'd also like to point out that OP is clearly neurotic and, I would be willing to bet, is seriously underestimating his/her LSAT score in this moment of temporary PTSD-induced LSAT self-doubt.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:41 pm

crit_racer wrote:I'd also like to point out that OP is clearly neurotic and, I would be willing to bet, is seriously underestimating his/her LSAT score in this moment of temporary PTSD-induced LSAT self-doubt.
I dunno. I was PTing 12ish points above my diagnostic score and ended up getting my diagnostic. I thought I'd done okay. It's hard to tell and there's no point worrying about it until the score comes.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 pm

crit_racer wrote:lol at TLS telling ppl who don't even know their score to retake...

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:38 pm

I normally think the retake crowd is lame, but you have a stellar GPA, it'd be a shame to waste it with impatience and an LSAT below your potential.

Of course, you don't even know your score so this post is basically worthless.
I mean, there's no point in considering how your softs might mitigate your score without even having a score.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”