MA and 5 Years Work Experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arcticjoe

MA and 5 Years Work Experience

Postby arcticjoe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:41 am

Alright, this is what I have been trying to figure out for the last few weeks.

So, I have an undergraduate History degree with a GPA of 3.5 from University of Colorado.

I have five years work experience as a History Teacher, in a tremendously diverse school in Urban Chicago.

Further I have an MA-History from DePaul with a 3.4 GPA.

An LSAT of 160.

My real question is, does the MA mean anything, does my work experience mean anything? Or are we solely talking numbers here?

When I plug my numbers into the predictor--it is essentially deny, deny, deny, deny...etc

So, what should I think?

Any insight would be helpful.

Patriot1208

Re: MA and 5 Years Work Experience

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:43 am

your MA and work experience are fairly meaningless. You need an LSAT retake.

arcticjoe

Postby arcticjoe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:46 am

That is too bad as I am an awful standardized test taker.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 am

1-3 points higher on the LSAT > PhD, according to most adcomms.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:47 am

Your MA and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee (at a gas sation at least). Best advice is to retake.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:50 am

Your grad school degree and work experience are tiebreakers at best. Right now you're looking at T50 territory.

jdMission

Postby jdMission » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:03 am

You ask an excellent question. I would never argue that scores are unimportant to admissions committees – they are indeed quite important. Still, there are many law schools with an abundance of applicants and thus there are many applicants, who have similar scores, on the admissions “bubble.” For these applicants, the quality of their applications can make the difference. (And, it should be noted that strong scores are no guarantee! Some with very strong scores, can make a mess of the application process and potentially jeopardize their chances). Unequivocally, stats are what get candidates into the game, but qualitative factors including letters of recommendations, graduate degrees, work experience, personal statements and leadership/professional activities all play a role in the admissions committees decisions -- otherwise, the admissions committees would not solicit the information! Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Makeup artist to ZZ Top

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:05 am

It's better than having a 3.5/160 straight out of college with no work experience or grad degree.

But agree that retaking is the best option.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:38 am

As other people have said, MA is a tie breaker. WE might give you a little boost, but it wont be anything major. Depending on what your goals are, a retake is probably the right way to go.

Things besides the numbers can make a difference sometimes. This cycle one of my non-URM friends actually cracked the T20 with your numbers and I'm pretty sure it was because of the PS and LOR. I read both of them and they were quite good. But that is the exception and not the rule. You can't depend on things like that. Retaking the LSAT after several hundred hours of study is your strongest option.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”