Better LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uncjtd20

Better LOR?

Postby uncjtd20 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:30 am

I have one good LOR lined up , but I'm having difficulty trying to decide who should write the second. I had a pretty close relationship with a Spanish teacher of mine in undergrad, and although this subject doesn't relate to law school, I think she would write a better letter than some of my other professors whose subject are more akin to what I'll be learning in law school. I guess my question is, does it matter from what academic area your LORs come from? Thanks in advance.

hds2388

Re: Better LOR?

Postby hds2388 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:43 am

Get it from the Spanish teacher. Law schools really aren't going to care what subject the teacher taught (because none of them are that related to what you'll be learning, especially during 1L). More importantly, a teacher you're close with can provide the personal stories and non-template language that will make a LOR go from about 1% of your application to 3%....which is about all you can really ask for.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:01 am

hds2388 wrote:Get it from the Spanish teacher. Law schools really aren't going to care what subject the teacher taught (because none of them are that related to what you'll be learning, especially during 1L). More importantly, a teacher you're close with can provide the personal stories and non-template language that will make a LOR go from about 1% of your application to 3%....which is about all you can really ask for.

+1. If adcomms don't give a shit about majoring in basket weaving, they won't care what subject your professor teaches. You want to get the best LOR possible.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 pm

hds2388 wrote:Get it from the Spanish teacher. Law schools really aren't going to care what subject the teacher taught (because none of them are that related to what you'll be learning, especially during 1L). More importantly, a teacher you're close with can provide the personal stories and non-template language that will make a LOR go from about 1% of your application to 3%....which is about all you can really ask for.

+2

uncjtd20

Postby uncjtd20 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:54 am

Appreciate it guys.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”