Long Arrest Record, C&F What will they think???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Long Arrest Record, C&F What will they think???

Postby 20121109 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Wait. So your ex is the crazy one, but the restraining order was placed against you, an order that you happened to violate twice? Did I read that wrong?

We're none of us perfect, but you don't seem very apologetic for your actions. For your sake, I hope you are able to convey at least some remorse and humility in your LS apps and C&F.

Good luck.

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Obviously check with an attorney who knows about the C&F process. If that person says youre fucked, then obviously don't go to law school. If he isn't sure, then think long and hard. I don't think he or she will though, an arrest record is not the same thing as a criminal record.

Assuming you've got hope there, the two other issues are getting past law school admissions and whether or not your personality will be able to function it the legal profession.

Start thinking about things like "I haven't missed a meeting in 14 months." I'm not recommending outright lying, but i'm also saying you need to explain to law schools that you've changed.

Hell, you can probably write a pretty nice PS about your past problems, subsequent enlightenment and newfound respect for the law. Regardless of your approach, your record definitely isn't going to help. I doubt it will be a deal-breaker for most law schools, but it will probably affect your chances negatively by a few points on your LSAT.

As for the few posters suggesting that your record reflects a personality incompatible with law/law school: fuck them do what you want (but want the right things.).

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:41 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Wait. So your ex is the crazy one, but the restraining order was placed against you, an order that you happened to violate twice? Did I read that wrong?

Good luck.

In my experience, the people who are trigger-happy when it comes to getting restraining orders and alleging harassment and violations of such orders tend to be the "crazy" ones. I'm not suggesting some kind of rule that everyone who requests one is crazy, i'm just saying that my personal experience doesn't make me believe he is contradicting himself.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:16 am

TheKingintheNorth wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Wait. So your ex is the crazy one, but the restraining order was placed against you, an order that you happened to violate twice? Did I read that wrong?

Good luck.

In my experience, the people who are trigger-happy when it comes to getting restraining orders and alleging harassment and violations of such orders tend to be the "crazy" ones. I'm not suggesting some kind of rule that everyone who requests one is crazy, i'm just saying that my personal experience doesn't make me believe he is contradicting himself.

I have found this to be true on cases as well.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:24 am

Lawquacious wrote:
jra5070 wrote:
bhan87 wrote:The biggest concern is you have virtually no distance between the last offense and now. There's no way to write this off as youthful ignorance. I don't think this will get past law school adcomms, much less passing C&F

I know but whats frustrating is having to explain non convictions. It's not youthful ignorance, because they were dismissed (most) expecially the last offense. Dismissed in my mind means, didn't do it, but they still want some story about how it changed me and I'm a better person because of it. Had no idea the cab driver would drive me in circles around the city to run up an 80 dollar far while I took a little nap in the back. That was just an unlucky day.

Well, not all apps do make you admit to 'charges' or 'arrests' as far as I know. So you might want to look through apps and the LSAC website to get an idea of which schools might be easier for you to apply to. But with your history I think you will probably need to make some disclosure at almost all or all schools based on the apps.

Some of your comments do sound to be like you are avoiding taking responsibility, which, if that is the case, may not come off well in C and F process IMO.

This is pretty bad advice. Actually, it's awful. Come clean on all your apps and provide full disclosure. Be contrite, but brief and get it on record. Should you be admitted to a law school (which I bet you probably will, not withstanding your inability to not get locked up every 2 years or so), it would suck to go through 3 years only to get dinged on your C&F for failing to fully disclose your past criminal issues properly on a LS application. Contrary to what most people believe, the criminal past section of the LS application is not the time to demonstrate your statutory reasoning skills, its the time to be completely honest.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:43 am

Just write a short, brief addendum. Something like "Bitches be crazy, tax drivers are crooks, and I likes to party" should work just fine.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 am

This thread is remarkably full of fail. OP needs to heed naterj's and RM's advice and tune out the needless moralizing.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:15 am

naterj wrote:The only answer is to get in touch with your local state bar or an attorney who specializes in C and F issues. Some states have a "pre-screening" for 1Ls. I would suggest doing those things and not taking advice from those on TLS who for the most part have not been through the C and F process and don't really know what the fuck they're talking about.

+1. No one on TLS is going to have anything to say except wild speculation. But definitely discuss your situation with the local bar or an attorney before going to law school, so you don't graduate just to find out you won't be able to pass the character and fitness.

ArchitectureVince03

Postby ArchitectureVince03 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:35 am

Echo the advice on contacting a C&F attorney and going for full disclosure on your apps.

In terms of people's reactions and comments about the arrest record I think jra you can expect to get this reaction from some/many people. I think that most admissions officers probably work on keeping an open mind (and at least from anecdotal evidence I've seen on TLS plenty of people with records still get into good schools depending on their numbers), but some might still have a similar reaction as people here on TLS to a pattern of initial charges.

My point here is that you should use people's reactions to craft your addendum and possibly PS. You should think about what sort of things created this pattern (it doesn't necessarily have to be the alcohol or anger issues if you don't feel that is the cause, but come up with something to write about that takes some personal responsibility) and as several people already mentioned don't try to justify it. Your comments about the difference between the two different cities in Jersey and the underage drinking no offense made it hard for me to believe these things won't happen again and are irrelevant when you're trying to become a lawyer and deal with the law.

Disclose briefly, highlight that many were dismissed and/or expunged, and discuss your personal responsibility in the matter and what you're doing about it. My two cents.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Moxie wrote:
naterj wrote:The only answer is to get in touch with your local state bar or an attorney who specializes in C and F issues. Some states have a "pre-screening" for 1Ls. I would suggest doing those things and not taking advice from those on TLS who for the most part have not been through the C and F process and don't really know what the fuck they're talking about.

+1. No one on TLS is going to have anything to say except wild speculation. But definitely discuss your situation with the local bar or an attorney before going to law school, so you don't graduate just to find out you won't be able to pass the character and fitness.

TITCR along with my prior post.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”