The smart people that underachieved -- what did you do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DerangedGoose

Re: The smart people that underachieved -- what did you do?

Postby DerangedGoose » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:15 pm

delusional wrote:I can't speak for a lot of people, but I don't see why it wouldn't make sense to calculate what it would do for you. Because yes, once you graduate, your GPA is set in stone forever.

I dont have the extra 12,000 or so to drop on another year of UCI, I would have to do community college. How would it look if I postpone my graduation but dont actually take any UCI classes?

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:I would check with UCI's policies on this. My undergrad required we take the last 30 units before graduation directly from our university so we can't inflate our GPAs but if UCI allows this, I would take advantage of it. I'm fairly sure that when you graduate, your undergrad GPA is locked in.

I'm assuming he is referring to my LSAC gpa, which would include all the classes I ever took at undergraduate institutions.

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:18 pm

DerangedGoose wrote:
delusional wrote:I can't speak for a lot of people, but I don't see why it wouldn't make sense to calculate what it would do for you. Because yes, once you graduate, your GPA is set in stone forever.

I dont have the extra 12,000 or so to drop on another year of UCI, I would have to do community college. How would it look if I postpone my graduation but dont actually take any UCI classes?

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:I would check with UCI's policies on this. My undergrad required we take the last 30 units before graduation directly from our university so we can't inflate our GPAs but if UCI allows this, I would take advantage of it. I'm fairly sure that when you graduate, your undergrad GPA is locked in.

I'm assuming he is referring to my LSAC gpa, which would include all the classes I ever took at undergraduate institutions.

I am not the right person to give information about any of this, because your guess is as good as mine. But conventional TLS wisdom is that the biggest real factor is the numbers. I wouldn't feel comfortable generalizing based on my experience, but my college career was loooong and odd, and I did not perform significantly worse than my numbers. YMMV.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 pm

DerangedGoose wrote:

Right, I don't think I was very clear. I'm just warning you to verify with UCI that they will allow you to graduate after taking transfer units so late in the game. Some universities, like the one I went to, try to keep overall GPAs of graduating classes close to a bell curve so they force you to take your last 30 units at their school instead of taking community college courses which tend to be academically less demanding. I'm not sure how rare this is but definitely a concern you should run by your school if you're looking to take some easy courses at a JC to boost your GPA immediately before graduating.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 pm

Smart People that underachieve suck at law school, hence the underachievement. No matter what your lsat is, you will suck at law school if you don't have a drastic change in work habits.

DerangedGoose

Postby DerangedGoose » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:34 pm

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:Right, I don't think I was very clear. I'm just warning you to verify with UCI that they will allow you to graduate after taking transfer units so late in the game. Some universities, like the one I went to, try to keep overall GPAs of graduating classes close to a bell curve so they force you to take your last 30 units at their school instead of taking community college courses which tend to be academically less demanding. I'm not sure how rare this is but definitely a concern you should run by your school if you're looking to take some easy courses at a JC to boost your GPA immediately before graduating.

I wouldnt try to transfer in those classes, I would just keep them at the home community college and they would get factored into my LSAC score. UCI would never know about them.

$$$$$$ wrote:Smart People that underachieve suck at law school, hence the underachievement. No matter what your lsat is, you will suck at law school if you don't have a drastic change in work habits.

That much is a given. I just need answers to my hypotheticals: assuming I get right the things that I have control over, what are my options and available strategies? I already know what will happen if I dont do well on the LSAT: I wont go to a good school. If I dont graduate at or near the top of my class I wont get a good job. I need someone to tell me what will happen if I DO.

I appreciate the answers and understanding guys, they have been very helpful

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 pm

The title of this thread is "The smart people that underachieved..."

I guess the word "smart" depends on your definition of it. If you mean IQ/brain power, perhaps you can still be labeled smart.

But if you knew you wanted to do grad school at a good place, and still went through undergrad as a lazy POS, then I don't think "smart" is the correct term.

Je suis desoile ;).

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:These are my favorite threads.

*Subtle brag*
*Excuse*
*Subtle Brag*
*Excuse*
*Subtle Brag*
*Why I will pwn law school*
*Subtle brag*

If I tried in HS as much as I did in MS, I could have attend Hahvahd.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:22 pm

TCR: your not that smart anymore

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:24 pm

HyeMart wrote:TCR: your not that smart anymore

You're like rain on a wedding day.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 pm

DerangedGoose wrote:That much is a given. I just need answers to my hypotheticals: assuming I get right the things that I have control over, what are my options and available strategies? I already know what will happen if I dont do well on the LSAT: I wont go to a good school. If I dont graduate at or near the top of my class I wont get a good job. I need someone to tell me what will happen if I DO.

I don't get what your question.

If you do well on the LSAT, you will get into a good school because law school admissions is formulaic and the high LSAT will make up for your low GPA. If you get good grades in law school, you will have a higher chance at getting a good job (biglaw if that's what you're after) but of course it is not set in stone because you still need to go through the interview and SA process where there are no guarantees.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”