Leaving out a transcript for LSAC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
armyparalegalnco

Leaving out a transcript for LSAC

Postby armyparalegalnco » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Please...I don't want to hear about morals or opinions, I want to hear about facts and reality. If you have a transcript with grades that appear absolutly no where else in your academic record, is lsac in the business of investigating this stuff. Has anyone ever done this, heard of anyone doing it, or seen anyone bit in the azz by doing it.

Yes I know, the bar is god, they see all hear all and they magically WILL find out, but focus on the question. LSAC and School only...

kalvano

Re: Leaving out a transcript for LSAC

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:53 pm

There is an academic clearinghouse that keeps records. I would imagine it's easy to run a check and see.

Willing to gamble?

armyparalegalnco

Postby armyparalegalnco » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 pm

They don't work the way people think they do. They verify degrees. They are not the holy grail of records for every class you took.

And kind of yes, because the option would be acceptance vs rejection, and my school is 100% free, so it seems like a gamble worth taking.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:51 pm

armyparalegalnco wrote:And kind of yes, because the option would be acceptance vs rejection, and my school is 100% free, so it seems like a gamble worth taking.

But you're not worried about passing the bar?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:53 pm

armyparalegalnco wrote:r someone like myself who is dead set on the JAG Corps

JAG will disapprove.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:57 pm

rad law wrote:
armyparalegalnco wrote:And kind of yes, because the option would be acceptance vs rejection, and my school is 100% free, so it seems like a gamble worth taking.

But you're not worried about passing the bar?

seems like a ticket to a whole lotta pain.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:26 pm

If you don't want to hear about morals, which you should, you need to at least consider the risk/reward of doing something like this.

Worst case scenario (which is not at all unlikely) is that you're found out and subsequently barred from practicing law. On the flipside, what do you have to gain? I have a hard time believing any GPA difference is worth that risk.

I don't want to get on a soapbox, but the world doesn't need more unethical lawyers.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:34 pm

armyparalegalnco wrote:They don't work the way people think they do. They verify degrees. They are not the holy grail of records for every class you took.

And kind of yes, because the option would be acceptance vs rejection, and my school is 100% free, so it seems like a gamble worth taking.

They don't just verify degrees, they verify enrollment at schools. If you were enrolled, there will be a record of it somewhere.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:40 pm

A friend of mine left out a transcript and got away with it. He was questioned about it at the bar and easily explained it away saying he forgot.

Then again, the one he left out had 12 hours of A's and 3 hours of B's so it was easier to accept it simply slipped his mind. If it was all F's he might have had a bigger problem.

armyparalegalnco

Postby armyparalegalnco » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:56 pm

krasivaya wrote:A friend of mine left out a transcript and got away with it. He was questioned about it at the bar and easily explained it away saying he forgot.

Then again, the one he left out had 12 hours of A's and 3 hours of B's so it was easier to accept it simply slipped his mind. If it was all F's he might have had a bigger problem.

Do you know how the bar found out?

armyparalegalnco

Postby armyparalegalnco » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
armyparalegalnco wrote:r someone like myself who is dead set on the JAG Corps

JAG will disapprove.

Thanks for paying attention to the question that was posted.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:03 pm

According to your post history you're looking at T4 schools. I really don't think Washburn is gonna care that you got some community college Fs, just include the transcript.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:According to your post history you're looking at T4 schools. I really don't think Washburn is gonna care that you got some community college Fs, just include the transcript.

Since he said these transcripts would be the difference between acceptance and rejection, I'd like to amend this statement for the OP: Looks like law school isn't for you.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Even if law school's completely free for you, why would you waste 3 years of your life in law school only to risk not passing the bar?

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Does free include a stipend to live off of? Otherwise you're looking at $20k/year for three years in living costs. If it's not included, you'd still be $60k in debt or $60k poorer when you fail C&F when applying for the bar.

armyparalegalnco

Postby armyparalegalnco » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:31 pm

yes it does, and it also includes loan repayment.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:09 pm

krasivaya wrote:A friend of mine left out a transcript and got away with it. He was questioned about it at the bar and easily explained it away saying he forgot.

This! And that's pretty much how litigation works, which is why there are so many unethical lawyers. If an attorney lies, the court will consider whether it is (a) an "intentional" misrepresentation and (b) whether it is a "prejudicial" misrepresentation. If not, no harm, no foul. The same goes for court errors. If they are not prejudicial, it's no harm, no foul. The caveat is whether or not one can prove "intent". That, in and of itself, may have repercussions depending on the setting and circumstances.

As the poster above said, hidden "F's" that would have lowered your GPA and theoretically could have changed your admission decision would be deemed "prejudicial" against the other applicants who were rejected or got less money than you did as a result of your misrepresentation.

armyparalegalnco

Postby armyparalegalnco » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 pm

PDaddy wrote:

This! And that's pretty much how litigation works, which is why there are so many unethical lawyers. If an attorney lies, the court will consider whether it is (a) an "intentional" misrepresentation and (b) whether it is a "prejudicial" misrepresentation. If not, no harm, no foul. The same goes for court errors. If they are not prejudicial, it's no harm, no foul. The caveat is whether or not one can prove "intent". That, in and of itself, may have repercussions depending on the setting and circumstances.

As the poster above said, hidden "F's" that would have lowered your GPA and theoretically could have changed your admission decision would be deemed "prejudicial" against the other applicants who were rejected or got less money than you did as a result of your misrepresentation.

That's great. But that also wasn't the question.

LawWeb

Postby LawWeb » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:24 pm

There was one I didn't include from a school I didn't even take a class at/get any grades at - just registered then withdrew, one class, didn't matriculate there, etc, so I left it off thinking I didn't need it - I believe it was LSAC that said my file wouldn't be complete until I got it. Apparently they find out somehow

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:33 pm

armyparalegalnco wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

you're a real asshole

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
armyparalegalnco wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

you're a real asshole

+1 you seem like a great example to your soldiers.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:36 pm

So you just want to know if you can fool LSAC and the school regarding your transcript?

This is stupid.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:46 pm

armyparalegalnco,

Think of Adam Wheeler who got caught having provided fraudulent information to Harvard College.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/adam-wheeler- ... d=10674294

Sounds like it worked out well for him.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm

armyparalegalnco wrote:Please...I don't want to hear about morals or opinions, I want to hear about facts and reality. If you have a transcript with grades that appear absolutly no where else in your academic record, is lsac in the business of investigating this stuff. Has anyone ever done this, heard of anyone doing it, or seen anyone bit in the azz by doing it.

Yes I know, the bar is god, they see all hear all and they magically WILL find out, but focus on the question. LSAC and School only...
armyparalegalnco wrote:Please...I don't want to hear about morals or opinions, I want to hear about facts and reality. If you have a transcript with grades that appear absolutly no where else in your academic record, is lsac in the business of investigating this stuff. Has anyone ever done this, heard of anyone doing it, or seen anyone bit in the azz by doing it.

No, LSAC and the school will "probably" not find out.

That being said, you are a complete and utter douche-bag. I spent 7 years active duty Army as a grunt and it comes to no surprise that some pogue would try and scam the system. Sad thing is, this infantryman right here has an LSAT score and a GPA that would bury yours. Real soldiers sacrifices helped push the government to create the the Post 9/11 GI Bill and you want to try and scam yourself into law school.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 pm

You also give non-commissioned officers a bad name. You're a joke.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”