C&F Disclosure Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Oops

C&F Disclosure Question

Postby Oops » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:47 pm

Alright guys, it looks like I've run into a bit of a problem and I hope someone can help. When submitting my applications last fall, I sort of breezed through the C&F section of them given that I've never been arrested/detained/etc. However, I've had a pretty large number of speeding tickets, all but one that have been dismissed, with one being reduced. The application stated that I need not disclose traffic tickets that resulted in a fine of over $200. Now I've been driving for about 7 years now, and I'd obviously lost track of some of the tickets I'd gotten back in high school. I went to get my driving record, only four citations were listed on there (all had been dismissed), and so I just went ahead and checked that I was all clear. I checked with my advisor and she said that if those four are the only ones on my driving record then they are all have to worry about. I then discovered this site about a month ago, and after researching I am starting to worried I may be in trouble. Thus, my questions are as follows:

1. Where can I find my COMPLETE driving record? I got my copy from the clerk's office and from an online website (I'm not trying to be lazy, I'm completely unsure of where to turn to next)

2. Is this even worth worrying about?

3. If it is, and I manage to find the relevant information I need, what is the proper course of action?

This is obviously an important matter as I am preparing to sign a lease, and I get that a. I should have been more careful and b. many of the people on here are 0Ls. I just ask if anyone can steer me in the right direction I would sincerely appreciate it, as obviously my advisor thought it was no big deal and I don't want to call the school unless it is absolute necessary that I begin the process of rectifying it.

scammedhard

Re: C&F Disclosure Question

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:00 pm

1. Where can I find my COMPLETE driving record? I got my copy from the clerk's office and from an online website (I'm not trying to be lazy, I'm completely unsure of where to turn to next)

2. Is this even worth worrying about?

3. If it is, and I manage to find the relevant information I need, what is the proper course of action?

1. Usually a state agency (like the DMV) keeps track of all tickets. Call a police station and find out who keeps the info in your state. Be careful, though, because a lot of apps ask for any charges and lots of times dismissed tickets don't make it to this central repository. In that case, there is no easy way, and the only solution is to call municipal courts in or around where you thought you got the ticket and ask the clerk to search your name/info in their records.

2. Yes. You have to do your homework and recall as much as you can. You will also have to do the same in a few years for the C+F Board, so you better start now.

3. Send the school an update.

You mentioned 4 tickets found, are those a complete record according to your memory? If so, you are OK, but if not, you have to keep digging.

In my case, for example, I found all my tickets except one. I am sure there is a record of it out there, but my name may have been misspelled or the ticket info lost. I was never able to find it, even after searching for months. In that case, I think it's OK because if an exhaustive search cannot find the ticket, it is unlikely that the C+F board will find it.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Also, don't listen to your law school adviser. They usually don't know much or don't care enough to actually advise properly.

I re-read your post and there are some inconsistencies.

However, I've had a pretty large number of speeding tickets, all but one that have been dismissed, with one being reduced. The application stated that I need not disclose traffic tickets that resulted in a fine of over $200. Now I've been driving for about 7 years now, and I'd obviously lost track of some of the tickets I'd gotten back in high school. I went to get my driving record, only four citations were listed on there (all had been dismissed), and so I just went ahead and checked that I was all clear.

How can 1 tickets dismissed lead to 4? It's better if you call the courts that dealt with those tickets and ask for a "certified disposition." It's as official as it gets, and it is usually very cheap, if not free.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:39 pm

I think he/she meant that the four that appeared on the driving record had been dismissed.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:07 pm

I live in Oregon, where the DMV will NOT give you a copy of your complete driving record, as far as I could figure out. There are two versions you can request, and they only go back 3 and 5 years and include different info. I knew I had a ticket back in 2003, but the only way I could get any info on it whatsoever was through my employer. I work for a municipal agency, and the City HR department gets reports on our driving records that are more complete than the ones I could request through the DMV. So I got a copy of mine from the HR manager. I have no idea what I would have done if my employer didn't have that info.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm gonna throw this out there: it probably isn't worth worrying about. If your school doesn't care, then you are probably in the clear. The CF board cares about what is on their own affidavit and that you didn't lie on your application. If the school is fine, then wait until you get your bar app to worry about tracking down old traffic tickets. The CF boards are concerned about honesty, not technical violations. Its not like they look at your law school app, check every singe item, and if there is any inconsistency they deny your application.

Don't take this to mean that you shouldn't be completely honest in disclosing. But saying to your school, "I've done an exhaustive search, and this is what I could find," should be enough as long as it is alright with the school. If you're concerned about it, have your school write up something to that effect and file it away in the unlikely event that it causes an investigation during CF. If the bar app wants a completely accurate accounting, then you'll have to find it at that point of course, but in reality people don't get denied for highly technical inaccuracies. They get denied for big stuff like arrests etc, actively concealing stuff, ignoring child support payments, dishonesty that leads to getting fired at an earlier job, etc. For ex. if you had been arrested for a robbery but didn't disclose, that would be a huge red flag. But minor traffic violations that fall through the cracks aren't what get people denied.

If you don't believe me, google some of the cases. If people get denied, they usually appeal the decision, so the facts of the actual cases are public record. None of them are for the petty stuff that people constantly worry about on this board.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:56 pm

I had the same issue, but with more tickets and more driving time. I disclosed the ones I could remember and put in the disclosure that I had more, but that they had been dismissed and records were not available, and I wasn't attempting to hide any, I just didn't remember.

The rep from the Texas licensing board said that was fine. They aren't very concerned about it unless it looks like you're trying to hide something.

Oops

Postby Oops » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:16 pm

I appreciate all the help. I was seriously panicing because I thought the school might revoke my offer or something, but I'm going to give them a call on Monday and hopefully everything gets sorted out. Y'all are lifesavers!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”