2011-2012 Cycle Applicants!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cmckid

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle Applicants!

Postby cmckid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:07 pm

annyong wrote:
cmckid wrote:Now that I've visited a lot of schools, I've got a better feel for what I want.

LSAT- 172 (have a job tutoring it, retaking in October)
GPA- 3.25

1st tier/ED: Chicago or Michigan
2nd tier: UVA, Penn, Gtown
3rd Tier/Scholarships: Vanderbilt, Wash U
Safety/Full Ride: UTk, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, BC

I loved Vandy though, and being from Nashville and wanting to practice there, I'd probably attend there over Gtown, and over UVA/Penn with a small scholly.

You're retaking a 172 in October? Are you expecting a significant boost above that?

I only studied for a month beforehand, and I didn't take any practice test after 2003, which killed my time when I ran into new rules on LG (both my LG misses were guesses when I ran out of time). 172 was also the lowest I got on my last ten practice tests before the real LSAT, so I can score higher.

With 3 months of study and having a job tutoring the LSAT for Kaplan, I think I can get mid to upper 170s. I don't think I can score worse, and with a few more points I can up my chances throughout and hopefully get some good scholarship money at Vanderbilt or WUSTL.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:50 pm

cmckid wrote:
annyong wrote:
cmckid wrote:Now that I've visited a lot of schools, I've got a better feel for what I want.

LSAT- 172 (have a job tutoring it, retaking in October)
GPA- 3.25

1st tier/ED: Chicago or Michigan
2nd tier: UVA, Penn, Gtown
3rd Tier/Scholarships: Vanderbilt, Wash U
Safety/Full Ride: UTk, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, BC

I loved Vandy though, and being from Nashville and wanting to practice there, I'd probably attend there over Gtown, and over UVA/Penn with a small scholly.

You're retaking a 172 in October? Are you expecting a significant boost above that?

I only studied for a month beforehand, and I didn't take any practice test after 2003, which killed my time when I ran into new rules on LG (both my LG misses were guesses when I ran out of time). 172 was also the lowest I got on my last ten practice tests before the real LSAT, so I can score higher.

With 3 months of study and having a job tutoring the LSAT for Kaplan, I think I can get mid to upper 170s. I don't think I can score worse, and with a few more points I can up my chances throughout and hopefully get some good scholarship money at Vanderbilt or WUSTL.

I wonder how LSAT tutors are treated as WE. I thought briefly about doing it, and the obvious dichotomy crossed my mind back then. Obviously it's work experience and that's better than a gap on the resume, but I wonder if it might put a damper on an extremely high LSAT score: say someone self-studying vs. someone who gets paid to spend time with the material all day, it seems fairly obvious that the latter would score better. Otherwise it would seem like an easy way to game the system to get a ~171/2 on your first take by self-studying (if you could), then having access to all of the materials, etc. for free and getting into the high 170s pretty easily while exerting minimal effort/still getting paid.

cmckid

Postby cmckid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 pm

With 3 months of study and having a job tutoring the LSAT for Kaplan, I think I can get mid to upper 170s. I don't think I can score worse, and with a few more points I can up my chances throughout and hopefully get some good scholarship money at Vanderbilt or WUSTL.[/quote]

I wonder how LSAT tutors are treated as WE. I thought briefly about doing it, and the obvious dichotomy crossed my mind back then. Obviously it's work experience and that's better than a gap on the resume, but I wonder if it might put a damper on an extremely high LSAT score: say someone self-studying vs. someone who gets paid to spend time with the material all day, it seems fairly obvious that the latter would score better. Otherwise it would seem like an easy way to game the system to get a ~171/2 on your first take by self-studying (if you could), then having access to all of the materials, etc. for free and getting into the high 170s pretty easily while exerting minimal effort/still getting paid.[/quote]

Haha yeah, I think it's definitely a good deal. Hopefully I can save up enough money doing LSAT/ACT/SAT tutoring to knock out my living expenses for a year or two. And of course, if it boosts my LSAT a few points, that definitely going to pay off in scholarship money.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 am

"...getting into the high 170s pretty easily" ...oh man.. lol I wish!

What's with this new FlexApp thing?? Anyone familiar with the old way to comment? Is there a conversation about this going on somewhere? I feel like I'm missing something.... lol

beezy08

Postby beezy08 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Getting back on track here...

167/3.49

Favorite Reach School: Texas
Favorite Target School: William & Mary
Favorite Safety School: UF

Work experience: Nothing significantly related to law, but I have done restaurant work (blehhhh) since high school and I volunteer as a research assistant on campus

My PS so far is related to personal development/growth...how I rebounded from a rocky start to college, how it made me realize my career goals, etc.

I have visited these 3 and love them for many reasons. I am still narrowing down the rest of my list but it's a huge combination of location, ranking, money, atmosphere and job prospects for that school/state, but I pretty much refuse to go any further north than VA and any further west than TX.

jsvaughn

Postby jsvaughn » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:43 pm

167/2.65

Favorite Reach School: Washington at St. Louis
Favorite Target School: Richmond
Favorite Safety School: South Carolina

2 Internships @ 2 DA's offices, 3 years coaching track/cross country (4 XC State Titles, 2 Top Ten finishes at XC Nationals)

PS will focus on my 1st internship that made me want to become a lawyer after my junior year and the success that I experienced coaching and the leadership skills that i gained from it.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:30 pm

A little over 41 days until the first round of applications go out!

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/cus ... =00&p0=234

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:A little over 41 days until the first round of applications go out!

I'm annoyed that NYU's isn't available before then, and I'll have to put my application together on the first. I'll have to get mine in at around 9:30, instead of at 9:01. Bummer.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:58 pm

PSUdevon wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:A little over 41 days until the first round of applications go out!

I'm annoyed that NYU's isn't available before then, and I'll have to put my application together on the first. I'll have to get mine in at around 9:30, instead of at 9:01. Bummer.

Which apps are available prior to Sep 1? If not many are, then I'll just spend the entire day working on apps.

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:05 pm

GPA 3.69
LSAT 167

Reaches- Cornell, Texas, UClA, USC
Targets Bu, Bc, Gw, Fordham Notre Dame
Safeties Washington and lee, Umaryland

any help crafting this list?

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:09 pm

3.6/171

Reach: CCN (any and all, plzkthx)
Target: V or P, really tough choice at this point
Safety: GLUC

WE: a few not-so-meaningful internships, some manly construction work

PS will involve the interest in law I discovered in high school and the various points afterward that confirmed that interest.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:

Which apps are available prior to Sep 1? If not many are, then I'll just spend the entire day working on apps.

Of the T14: Chicago, Duke, and Cornell, as per appreqs.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:50 pm

I have a question. I took the LSAT last December and then retook in February. Even before the February test I started receiving fee waivers from some top schools for last cycle. Will these schools know to send me fee waivers this cycle? Thanks!

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:54 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:I have a question. I took the LSAT last December and then retook in February. Even before the February test I started receiving fee waivers from some top schools for last cycle. Will these schools know to send me fee waivers this cycle? Thanks!

Make sure you update your application year on LSAC (if it's not already this year):

Tiago Splitter wrote:Go to your LSAC page, click "Edit My Profile" on the left side, then click "CRS" also on the left side, and edit CRS preferences. You can update your expected enrollment year to 2012 there.

Even if it's set to the correct year, some schools will not have their CRS searches set up to include you. If you:

a) already received a fee waiver from them for last cycle :arrow: email them and explain you are applying this year, and ask if you can have your application fee waived for this year

or

b) didn't hear from them after December :arrow: definitely still email them and ask for a waiver (a two-line email with your numbers will suffice)

You can do this at any time, but I would wait until after the school's first CRS waive, see if you're included, and if not, ask then.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks so much! I had totally forgotten about editing CRS preferences!

I guess my numbers would be helpful for the next question... I'm 170/4.06, non-URM Hispanic. Would I have a chance at getting a fee waiver from Columbia? U. Chicago? Last cycle I got fee waivers to Northwestern, NYU, Michigan, Penn, and Virginia with a 166. Thanks again!

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:14 pm

No problem, I'm more than happy to help/answer questions when able. :D

I'm not sure what number combos typically got those fee waivers. It's hit or miss, really. For example, my almost numbers twin had a higher GPA than I did with the same LSAT, but I got every T-14 waiver (not need-based) and there were a couple schools she didn't get them from. It was rarely a "if your LSAT is over X and your GPA is over Y, you'll get one" situation.

You can search through this thread from last year to see what number combos got the Columbia/Chicago waivers, which might be a bit more helpful, and there's a thread-specific search function in the bottom left corner so you can just search for the schools' names without having to read the whole thread.

PS - congrats on the fantastic numbers. Schools seem to really love perfect GPAs like yours. Best of luck this cycle!

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:37 pm

How strange! Considering they haven't received your application yet, how could schools judge you on anything but numbers?

Thanks, that link is very helpful! I see you posted on that thread several times back in the day. :)

And thanks again for the compliment- I wish my LSAT were a few points higher, but what can you do. Congrats to you too on U. Chicago! That's awesome!

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:

I'll be getting my braces off that day :)

katie96

Postby katie96 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi guys! Good look to all the applicants this 2011-2012 cycle :)

UG from Florida public university
3.4x LSAC GPA
No LSAT score yet... hoping and striving to dominate in October

Reach: NYU
Goal: NYU, Fordham
Safety: Cardozo, UM, UF (I'm a Florida resident, but aiming for NYC schools)

Softs... ehh, nothing spectacular - worked all four years of college as a paralegal, E-board member of Pre-Law club, Honor's College, submitted research project on sex trafficking in Europe...

I am ED-ing to NYU as that is my dream school. I really want to try to tailor everything for NYU. I realize with my GPA it is a reach, so I'm working every day for that LSAT score :)

splitster1221

Postby splitster1221 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:09 pm

Sorry if this is stupid, but how are people requesting transcripts? I know you need to have the form printed from LSAC-but do you just send/fax that in or what? What else do you send?

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:12 pm

splitster1221 wrote:Sorry if this is stupid, but how are people requesting transcripts? I know you need to have the form printed from LSAC-but do you just send/fax that in or what? What else do you send?

You fax that form to your university and they send your transcripts with that form

wildcat25

Postby wildcat25 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

UG from top private liberal arts
3.83 LSAC GPA
165 on June LSAT, retaking in October (goal is to break 170)

Reach: Cornell, Georgetown, Penn CCN- (reach far, miss far????)
Goal: Cornell, Fordham
Safety: Cardozo, ND

Pretty much all rests on slaying the beast that is the LSAT, although studying is going well

Cheekie F Baby

Postby Cheekie F Baby » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:41 pm

This will be my second cycle,
waiting to dominate the October LSAT

Pleased to introduce my new and improved TLS Alter-Ego: Cheekie F Baby
and the F is for Fee Waiver

Good Luck to everyone applying this cycle, go hard or go home! 8)

Anybody here looking at westcoast schools? I'm shooting for UCLA or USC, either would be amazing

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”