2011-2012 Cycle Applicants!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cartman

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle Applicants!

Postby Cartman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:00 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Cartman wrote:@ the OP, waiting for the cycle to start is ridiculous! It's almost as bad as waiting the 3 weeks for LSAT scores to come out! It does feel as if it's dragging on and on and on.

In other news:
162/169(Retake)/3.32

Reach: UT Austin or U of Washington (UW Averages LSAT scores, so even with a 169 it's a reach. Also, my GPA is low.)
Target: University of California Irvine
Safety:Lewis and Clark

Good news: For the last 2 years (since transferring from a community college to university) my GPA has been a 3.78, so a strong upward grade trend. Good letters of recommendation.

Anyone feel like chancing those schools? :P

Congrats on the higher LSAT! Are you instate at UT or Washington? That'll help to chance you. Looks like you want to end up on the west coast, but I would throw apps to some schools between UT and Washington in the late-teens/twenties - especially IUB and UIUC because you're probably looking at $$$ that you may be able to use to leverage Washington if you get it. I'd also apply to Cornell since that's probably your safest T-14 bet that may offer $$ that Texas might pay attention to. I'd say UT is definitely a good reach - you're not a lock but you've definitely got a good shot if your app plays right.

Irvine? Do you mean Hastings?

I'm actually instate at California, so it won't help me there on either count =\ I would preferably like to stay west coast, but I would go as far as Texas if I got into UT Austin. Also, you might have to help me with some of the acronyms - IUB and UIUC? And that's a great idea, seeing where else I get into and what gives me money as leverage, especially if I get waitlisted.

As for Irvine, I actually mean UC Irvine - which is confusing for lots of people, especially if you don't live in California. UC Irvine is a brand new law school that opened up in Southern California just a couple years ago, and it only recently got its provisional accreditation so it isn't yet ranked. Though based on its selectivity, the fact that it's got some amazing staff members (including the Dean), and the fact that it's trying to be competitive with UCLA and USC means that it's probably going to be a Tier one school when it does, if not top 30 pretty quickly. I'm sure when new schools open up they don't automatically get placed into the top 20, but it's certainly aiming to be. Hastings is a good idea though, especially since I live in the Bay Area. I bet I would also have a good shot at Davis, I'm just not sure if I would like it (though I confess I haven't been to Davis before.) I suppose throwing in an app to Cornell wouldn't hurt either. Thanks for the advice! Do you know of any success stories where applicants were able to use other acceptances as leverage at a school?

Leverage is a necessary part of this game. I am an alum of the 10-11 cycle, and I applied pretty liberally to places because I like options. If not for my late apps (some hours before the deadline), it would have been a pretty good plan. When I told my mom I was reapplying, she said "well, to less schools, right?" and I said, "well, actually, more." You absolutely are able to leverage scholarship offers; for some really well-reputed places, even saying "I got in to X" will get you more money at a lower-ranked place. Considering most of the T15-T35 should give you a fee waiver (if not automatically, it doesn't hurt to request one), it won't be that expensive and may save you $$ at the place you end up matriculating.

IUB - Indiana University (Bloomington) and UIUC - Illinois @ Urbana/Champaign. They as well as WUSTL (Washington University - St. Louis) love LSATs >168. If you have good cause for the 162 (illness, etc.), it may not hurt to write an LSAT addendum for Washington so they may just consider the 169. Indiana has been giving out 120k scholarships this cycle like candy, but unfortunately nowhere else will honor that at face value. (For instance, ND, even though it's in the same state and ranked the same, will not match a 120k offer from IUB). A lot of places will up their offer (even significantly) with a good scholarship offer somewhere at or above their ranking. (You won't get UT to offer you more money because of a scholarship at Washington, for instance.)

Since you're in-state, definitely try for UCLA as well. Be careful about L&C as a safety- apply early. They filled up their class quickly this year and had to defer all applicants who applied late, even locks, and offered them spot on the waitlist. I didn't follow the rest of the drama, whether many/most of them got off of the waitlist, but just be sure to apply before or around Thanksgiving.

Great advice, thanks! I already planning on applying day 1 of the cycle - with my LSAT done and the rest of the summer to prepare the rest of my application, I should have no issues applying early. I'll also seriously consider writing an addendum for Washington, but unfortunately it wasn't due to illness. Does anyone ever fudge that fact? Anyways, I do have to write one for L&C anyways, since they like one if it's a 5+ point jump. Would a school that usually averages actually consider taking only the higher one?

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:34 am

anewaphorist wrote:LSAT: 17X, where X is to be determined in October.

Personal Statement: An attempt to unify science's knowledge without thought and philosophy's thought without knowledge.

lol

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:37 am

Deuce wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:LSAT: 17X, where X is to be determined in October.

Personal Statement: An attempt to unify science's knowledge without thought and philosophy's thought without knowledge.

lol

That just made my day.

annyong

Postby annyong » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:34 am

Hey guys! In to join the fun.

4.0/172

Favorite Reach: Harvard
Favorite Target: CCN
Favorite Safety: Virginia(?)

Any idea about when we might start hearing about fee waivers after the June LSAT?

acadec

Postby acadec » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:36 am

annyong wrote:Hey guys! In to join the fun.

4.0/172

Favorite Reach: Harvard
Favorite Target: CCN
Favorite Safety: Virginia(?)

Any idea about when we might start hearing about fee waivers after the June LSAT?

Well, if history is any guide...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122246

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:31 am

acadec wrote:
annyong wrote:Any idea about when we might start hearing about fee waivers after the June LSAT?

Well, if history is any guide...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122246

Yeah, I got my first waiver in July (Georgetown) and they kind of trickled in from there. Some will pop up as hidden waivers on LSAC, so be sure you check for those closer to application time (I don't think any were out this early).

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:44 am

I emailed some schools that have a track record of giving fee waivers (via LSN) and got responses back from UCLA and WashU saying I should re-submit fee waiver emails towards the middle/end of August.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Last edited by ladybug89 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:22 pm

ladybug89 wrote:And I can probably find the answer to this using the search function but whatever - what are fee waivers based on, typically? high lsat or mid-high or some other factor?

Typically LSAT, but there are definitely other factors in play. I got every T-14 waiver, while my almost-numbers twin (same LSAT, but she had a better GPA) didn't get some that I did.

acadec

Postby acadec » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 pm

ladybug89 wrote:3.84 (HYPS), 177

Favorite Reach: Stanford in a vacuum, but Harvard because of an SO
Favorite Target: Columbia/NYU
Favorite Safety: Duke idk what constitutes a safety?

And I can probably find the answer to this using the search function but whatever - what are fee waivers based on, typically? high lsat or mid-high or some other factor?

Your life...is a good one. Nice.

Fee waivers are based mostly on LSAT (and maybe whichever of the grade options you picked--the highest one, for your--on CRS). That's basically all the information they have. You'll do fine.

annyong

Postby annyong » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks for the info and the link to the thread - I'm working a boring desk job this summer and getting a little antsy for the cycle to start, so fee waivers would be something nice to see in my inbox soon...

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:17 pm

GEORGETOWN FEE WAIVER WAHOO!

brownpride

Postby brownpride » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:34 pm

mickeyD wrote:GEORGETOWN FEE WAIVER WAHOO!

Just got it too =)

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Im down to join the fun

lsat 167
gpa 3.69

favorite reaches- Cornell, UTexas
favorite Matches- BU, GW
Favorite safeties fordham, Wash and Lee

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Just got my BluePrint books today! Anxiously excited for my class to start Saturday is Bizerkeley. I wonder how many TLSers will be in my class :)

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Joining in the fun, too!

I have no real reach/target/safety yet since I have been out of the country for a while and unable to take the LSAT until October. I just really, really want to go to Georgetown, though, so hopefully I can make that happen.

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Totally lost about where to apply/what to expect. I'm first gen and I kind of feel less in the know with the whole admissions thing. I'm trying to make a list of schools based on #s, but I'd love to hear other people's opinions. Reaches too high/too low? All I

GPA: 3.8
LSAT: 168
Softs: put myself through school teaching everything from preschool to UG english/writing courses, and on a trial team

Favorite Reach School: UT, UCLA, Michigan, Duke, Boalt (!!!)
Favorite Target School: BU, UC Davis
Favorite Safety School: UWashington
personal statement: observations/experiences w prisoner neglect: the first time I visited my HIV+ friend in prison.

Thinking of writing an addendum to explain my grades. I earned straight A's every year except my first year, where I couldn't pull even a 3.5. We lost our house and the family business that year, and the stress of not knowing where my family was going to live kind of got to me. Worth it?

Thanks!

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:19 pm

outsidethescope wrote:Totally lost about where to apply/what to expect. I'm first gen and I kind of feel less in the know with the whole admissions thing. I'm trying to make a list of schools based on #s, but I'd love to hear other people's opinions. Reaches too high/too low? All I

Softs: put myself through school teaching everything from preschool to UG english/writing courses, and on a trial team

personal statement: observations/experiences w prisoner neglect: the first time I visited my HIV+ friend in prison.

Thinking of writing an addendum to explain my grades. I earned straight A's every year except my first year, where I couldn't pull even a 3.5. We lost our house and the family business that year, and the stress of not knowing where my family was going to live kind of got to me. Worth it?

Thanks!

If you're willing to pay sticker and have a summer start, might be worth a try to ED Michigan?

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 pm

outsidethescope wrote:Totally lost about where to apply/what to expect. I'm first gen and I kind of feel less in the know with the whole admissions thing. I'm trying to make a list of schools based on #s, but I'd love to hear other people's opinions. Reaches too high/too low? All I

Thanks!

I wouldn't. Your GPA is above median everywhere outside of HYS. If anything, I'd worry about your LSAT. From someone on the other side of the scale, I also wouldn't advise a 173 to write an addendum about how they were sick on test day. Even if it's true, it's not necessary.

I think ED to Michigan is TCR if you want Michigan more than the others, although you do have a decent shot at Duke so I'd say you're not likely to get shut out of MBD if you apply to all early and have an otherwise solid app.

I don't think UT or UCLA are reaches. Those should be your targets. You're definitely in at BU and Davis so those can be your safeties.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:26 pm

173 LSAT (First time)
3.77 GPA from UF

Reach: Harvard, maybe Stanford (don't want to live in NY or Chi)
Target: Duke, UVA, Mich
Safety: Ehh, UF?

Personal statement: Something about being Cuban and how I want to practice business law in some connection to the hopefully imminent regime change probably

So, like, can we start on personal statements already? Do schools not have unique prompts for them, or is that just for their other essays?

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:39 pm

vincanity1 wrote:173 LSAT (First time)
3.77 GPA from UF

Personal statement: Something about being Cuban and how I want to practice business law in some connection to the hopefully imminent regime change probably

So, like, can we start on personal statements already? Do schools not have unique prompts for them, or is that just for their other essays?

You can write everything now.

Your PS that will be sent to each school should be about you and, if you want, your desire to practice/pursue law. You could tack on a paragraph about that specific law school if you want, but it's definitely not necessary. If you want early apps, I'd write this now.

Outside of that, I know Penn has specific essays every year, and a lot of schools have specific scholarship essays, but if your PS is good and polished, if you're writing a diversity statement and that's good and polished, then you should start on Why Xs. If you don't know what any of this means, do a forum search. hth

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:45 pm

vincanity1 wrote:173 LSAT (First time)
3.77 GPA from UF

You can write everything now.

Your PS that will be sent to each school should be about you and, if you want, your desire to practice/pursue law. You could tack on a paragraph about that specific law school if you want, but it's definitely not necessary. If you want early apps, I'd write this now.

Outside of that, I know Penn has specific essays every year, and a lot of schools have specific scholarship essays, but if your PS is good and polished, if you're writing a diversity statement and that's good and polished, then you should start on Why Xs. If you don't know what any of this means, do a forum search. hth

I had always wondered lol. Thanks a lot, descartes. Much appreciated.

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:I wouldn't. Your GPA is above median everywhere outside of HYS. If anything, I'd worry about your LSAT. From someone on the other side of the scale, I also wouldn't advise a 173 to write an addendum about how they were sick on test day. Even if it's true, it's not necessary.

I think ED to Michigan is TCR if you want Michigan more than the others, although you do have a decent shot at Duke so I'd say you're not likely to get shut out of MBD if you apply to all early and have an otherwise solid app.

I don't think UT or UCLA are reaches. Those should be your targets. You're definitely in at BU and Davis so those can be your safeties.

thank you. this is super helpful. :D

annyong

Postby annyong » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:52 am

Anyone have a general idea of what schools really want to see Why Xs? To me, it seems some schools really want it/ask that you write it, but for others it just doesn't seem that important and in the case of a few of the very top schools, it seems kind of like a rhetorical question...

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:06 am

annyong wrote:

Anyone have a general idea of what schools really want to see Why Xs? To me, it seems some schools really want it/ask that you write it, but for others it just doesn't seem that important and in the case of a few of the very top schools, it seems kind of like a rhetorical question...

UVA is another one that likes to see a Why essay.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”