2011-2012 Cycle Applicants!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
minnbills

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle Applicants!

Postby minnbills » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:17 pm

update for post june lsat:

LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.4 (higher not counting older grades)P

Reach: Cornell
Targets: MN, Wisc, Boulder, BC, BU
Safeties: William Mitchell.

Softs: prez of a student org, coach a high school athletic team, double major.

I'm hoping I can snag a scholly to MN, in which case I will almost certainly go.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Got my first LOR in. Second teacher hasn't responded to her school email or gmail... It's been over a month. You'd think if she didn't want to write me one she would at least have just kindly replied saying so. But that doesn't make sense either because I approached her in person at the end of the semester and she agreed no problem at all.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:22 pm

mickeyD wrote:Got my first LOR in. Second teacher hasn't responded to her school email or gmail... It's been over a month. You'd think if she didn't want to write me one she would at least have just kindly replied saying so. But that doesn't make sense either because I approached her in person at the end of the semester and she agreed no problem at all.

Is there any other way to get in touch with her? Office on campus, phone number?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:35 pm

maxpower430 wrote:lsat: 174
gpa: 3.91

reach: harvard
target:not sure that i have a target but wherever i get most money/best vibe out of CCNPV
safety: vandy

also i have a question for you guys, b/c my chances thread didn't get any responses. basically, i have a decent amout of experience doing a legalish type job (a couple summers) which i continued after i graduated on a full time basis. i left that job, however, b/c i was worried about the company folding and got the job i'm currently at. it's basically a temp job, which was great b/c i could study etc but i'm worried that it might look bad, esp b/c it seems like a lot of people have much more interesting work experience. would it be worth it to try and find a job that looks better on paper? i'm also worried b/c if i leave this job after 6 months too, it might look like i'm bouncing around etc. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks.

No one cares about work experience unless you moved heaven and earth, except maybe Northwestern (even there, they'd buy your LSAT score). Your writing is extremely difficult to read, btw. Not sure if it's the capitalization, the excessive use of the pronoun "I," or the excessive use of "b/c."

You'd get Harvard this cycle, I'd think - assuming your personal statement isn't written like that.

pdftlvson

Postby pdftlvson » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:50 pm

LSAT: 169
GPA: 4.0

Favorite Reach: Michigan
Favorite Target: GW
Favorite Safety: American/Iowa/Indiana?

PS: not for sure yet... possibly something about a few international experiences, or a story from my state's attorney's internship

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:29 pm

mickeyD wrote:Got my first LOR in. Second teacher hasn't responded to her school email or gmail... It's been over a month. You'd think if she didn't want to write me one she would at least have just kindly replied saying so. But that doesn't make sense either because I approached her in person at the end of the semester and she agreed no problem at all.

Depends on your relationship with her. My closest teacher (thesis adviser) in undergrad was a very close friend as well, and when I left the city unexpectedly, it was difficult for us to maintain a friendship. She had agreed to the LOR so I emailed her the pertinent info. I don't think we actually talked again until well over LSAC had reported having her LOR, which wasn't quick. And spending time with her, I know how frequently profs get hit up for LORs, and how almost assembly-line the process is.

So, it may be that your professor is asked to write 100 LORS every year, and she's printed out the info and preparing to write in send it in but didn't necessarily have the time/energy to respond back and then it got lost in the box. It's really, really, really, really not crunch time yet, and you have no idea what issues she may be dealing with, so I'd either wait her out (CALLING when you finally want to touch base again; either her cell/home if you have it, or the office during office hours), or find another recommender.

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:06 pm

sea15 wrote:
swinger wrote:
sea15 wrote:LSAT: 172
UGPA: 4.0
LSAC GPA: 3.98

Softs: 4 years work experience in non-profits including 2 years Americorps State

Favorite Reach School: UVA, Duke, Northwestern
Favorite Target School: Georgetown, Vandy
Favorite Safety School: UNC, American

I plan on doing public interest law, so I am aiming for some serious scholarship money

In ten words or less, what you plan to put in your personal statement: Not sure yet

I dont know that I would consider your 'reach' schools reach schools, seeing as you are above both medians for all of them.

I realize this. However, I don't want to go into serious debt (or any at all if possible) to go to law school. I think that looking at lower schools and setting them as my targets and reaches allows me better opportunity for scholarships. Do you think this is reasonable?

Should I be aiming higher?

Do you have a story to go with the numbers? A compelling essay?

I'd say on your numberes alone you have a strong shot at NYU, a good shot at CLS, and even H and S (LOOK AT 25/75 AND MEDIANS FOR THE TOP SCHOOLS. STANFORD TAKES HIGH gpa LOWER LSAT, you are above NYU medians. Your chances are maybe 50-50 at these top schools, maybe better. Honestly, You shoud apply to all up through HLS. You never know.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

Depends on your relationship with her. My closest teacher (thesis adviser) in undergrad was a very close friend as well, and when I left the city unexpectedly, it was difficult for us to maintain a friendship. She had agreed to the LOR so I emailed her the pertinent info. I don't think we actually talked again until well over LSAC had reported having her LOR, which wasn't quick. And spending time with her, I know how frequently profs get hit up for LORs, and how almost assembly-line the process is.

So, it may be that your professor is asked to write 100 LORS every year, and she's printed out the info and preparing to write in send it in but didn't necessarily have the time/energy to respond back and then it got lost in the box. It's really, really, really, really not crunch time yet, and you have no idea what issues she may be dealing with, so I'd either wait her out (CALLING when you finally want to touch base again; either her cell/home if you have it, or the office during office hours), or find another recommender.

I really hope you're right. I tried following up by calling the department office but apparently she's not on campus for the summer and won't be back until the fall. I will try to catch up her then, if I get a hold of her by mid-September she'll still have plenty of time, I'm not submitting my apps until I receive my October retake scores.

I just took the June test, anyone have any idea when we should start hearing back for fee waivers? Also do you think a URM 170 should be good enough to get fee waivers from T14 schools? Money is a big issue.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:36 pm

LSAT: 178
GPA: 3.5

Reach: Harvard?
Targets: Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Penn
Safeties: USC, UCLA

Scored a 166 and applied last cycle, so the PS is pretty well handled.

Klinklang

Postby Klinklang » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:43 pm

4.0 GPA
163 LSAT

Reach: Minnesota (ED)
Target: Fordham
Safety: Colorado - Boulder

PS is about having a chronic autoimmune disease; good softs in Moot Court from 2009-2011 and the 2011 ACMCA Nationals in New Orleans.

/catharsis/ :D

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:57 pm

mickeyD wrote:

I really hope you're right. I tried following up by calling the department office but apparently she's not on campus for the summer and won't be back until the fall. I will try to catch up her then, if I get a hold of her by mid-September she'll still have plenty of time, I'm not submitting my apps until I receive my October retake scores.

I just took the June test, anyone have any idea when we should start hearing back for fee waivers? Also do you think a URM 170 should be good enough to get fee waivers from T14 schools? Money is a big issue.

Oh def. I'm non-URM 171 w/ shitty GPA and I got Columbia, Penn, Michigan, Northwestern, and UVA fee waivers. Here's the thread from last year with dates: Fee Waivers. It looks like he didn't update much past mid-September, and none of the T-14s issued until 9/1, so you have a couple of months at least. If they haven't come by, say, 3 weeks or so before you want to submit your app, no harm in requesting one. If not for merit (which would give you at least Chicago, NYU, Duke, Cornell, GTown as well as those I listed before), then for need.

nids333

Postby nids333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:41 pm

pdftlvson wrote:LSAT: 169

PS: not for sure yet... possibly something about a few international experiences, or a story from my state's attorney's internship

Considering your GPA, I think you have chances at a lot of other T-14 school. You should include more in your target list!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:04 pm

nids333 wrote:

Considering your GPA, I think you have chances at a lot of other T-14 school. You should include more in your target list!

Yea Boalt and Cornell definitely if you want them. OP, do you want any t-14 beside Mich?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:29 am

LSAT: 168

Favorite Reach: Cornell (BIG reach)
Favorite Target: WUSTL
Favorite Safety: UConn

PS: Something along the theme of being transient.

I got the "sure I'll write it" but haven't heard anything else from my recs. If I want to submit as early as possible, when should I start politely bugging them?

boosk

Postby boosk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:47 am

URM
LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.65

Reach: Harvard
Target: Penn
Safety: USC

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:33 am

franklyscarlet wrote:LSAT: 168

Favorite Reach: Cornell (BIG reach)
Favorite Target: WUSTL
Favorite Safety: UConn

PS: Something along the theme of being transient.

I got the "sure I'll write it" but haven't heard anything else from my recs. If I want to submit as early as possible, when should I start politely bugging them?

I already asked both of mine last week. I've heard too many bad stories to risk leaving it for later.. I kept putting it off cause it's an annoying process, but it felt much better afterwards knowing it's one less thing to worry about.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:34 am

By the way, Cornell is one of my top choices as well so good luck to both of us :)

taliepuff

Postby taliepuff » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 am

LSAT: 177
GPA: 3.74

R: H
T: C
S: N

Only applying to YHSCN so far... should I apply to more to leverage scholly?

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 am

LSAT: 170
GPA: 3.0

R: Vandy or UTX
T: WUSTL
S: ??? Wake Forest maybe?

cmckid

Postby cmckid » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 am

citykitty wrote:LSAT: 170

If Vandy you attend
nicer to me you must be
I might be there too

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:54 am

cmckid wrote:
citykitty wrote:LSAT: 170

If Vandy you attend
nicer to me you must be
I might be there too

Is hilarious
that haiku now follows me
around tls.

pdftlvson

Postby pdftlvson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:25 am

nids333 wrote:

Yea Boalt and Cornell definitely if you want them. OP, do you want any t-14 beside Mich?

As far as other t14 schools, I'm targeting UVA, Duke, and Georgetown. I'll apply to WUSTL as well. I plan on doing international law (most likely public interest).

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:59 pm

LSAT: 162 (ugh, don't want to talk about it)
GPA: 3.8

Reach: not interested
Target(s): Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo
Safety: CUNY
Last edited by sd5289 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sea15

Postby sea15 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:18 pm

westbayguy wrote:
sea15 wrote:
swinger wrote:
sea15 wrote:LSAT: 172
UGPA: 4.0
LSAC GPA: 3.98

Softs: 4 years work experience in non-profits including 2 years Americorps State

Favorite Reach School: UVA, Duke, Northwestern
Favorite Target School: Georgetown, Vandy
Favorite Safety School: UNC, American

I plan on doing public interest law, so I am aiming for some serious scholarship money

In ten words or less, what you plan to put in your personal statement: Not sure yet

I dont know that I would consider your 'reach' schools reach schools, seeing as you are above both medians for all of them.

I realize this. However, I don't want to go into serious debt (or any at all if possible) to go to law school. I think that looking at lower schools and setting them as my targets and reaches allows me better opportunity for scholarships. Do you think this is reasonable?

Should I be aiming higher?

Do you have a story to go with the numbers? A compelling essay?

I'd say on your numberes alone you have a strong shot at NYU, a good shot at CLS, and even H and S (LOOK AT 25/75 AND MEDIANS FOR THE TOP SCHOOLS. STANFORD TAKES HIGH gpa LOWER LSAT, you are above NYU medians. Your chances are maybe 50-50 at these top schools, maybe better. Honestly, You shoud apply to all up through HLS. You never know.

Thanks. The more I look through these forums and at the US news rankings and 25/75 percentiles, I think I will apply at least to Harvard and definitely Stanford (don't want to write the 250 Yale essay). For Harvard, my LSAT is on the low side, but my GPA may compensate some. My uncle went to Harvard law, though I've read that that doesn't really matter.

I don't have a compelling story. I studied abroad in Fall 2007 in Uganda and lived with a Ugandan family for 4 months, so I think I might write something along the lines of adjusting to that and realizing the call into public interest work. Boring?

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:38 pm

sea15 - Sounds interesting to me.

HLS legacy might help if he still keeps active in the alumni network/current administration. If I were you, I'd at least ask him about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”