2011-2012 Cycle Applicants!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jack Smirks

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle Applicants!

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 am

Yeah you guys should register with LSAC and start sending transcripts in if you want to apply first thing in September or October. I'm not saying you guys are running late or anything but sometimes it can take longer than you might think to get everything in order.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:41 am

naterj wrote:Yeah you guys should register with LSAC and start sending transcripts in if you want to apply first thing in September or October. I'm not saying you guys are running late or anything but sometimes it can take longer than you might think to get everything in order.

Yeah I'm going to get on that next week. I'm gonna ask professors to fax LOR's if they can.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:58 am

naterj wrote:Yeah you guys should register with LSAC and start sending transcripts in if you want to apply first thing in September or October. I'm not saying you guys are running late or anything but sometimes it can take longer than you might think to get everything in order.

I'm waiting for my school to fix my transcripts cause there was a mistake made with one of my grades which brought me down to graduating with honors instead of high honors.. that's why I asked if that shows on the LSAC report. Since you said it does, I'll wait for my school to fix it and I'm gonna send it in as soon as it's done.

I already asked 2 professors for a letter.. they both said yes and I already gave one of them everything they need to write it, so I'm just waiting on her now. The other professor moved to freakin Mississippi so I'm working on mailing him all the stuff.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:27 am

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:
mickeyD wrote:
Hedwig wrote:Just got my academic summary report, so relieved to find they calculated my GPA exactly the same as I did.

Just got mine today, is it weird how excited I am to have it? It's not even a high GPA, just stoked to have taken another step towards apps.

How long ago did you send your transcripts? My UG uses the national student clearinghouse and they told me they sent my transcripts to lsac last tuesday... my profile still isn't updated.

Sent mine June 15. My UG is only a couple hours from the LSAC office in PA so mail time might be faster. Also mine never said "received" before it was officially processed, it always said "none received" and then one day it was up with the GPA and everything.

meleliz

Postby meleliz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:58 am

GPA: 3.88
LSAT: recently started prep~ baseline score 157, aiming for 165 in October
Favorite Reach School: William & Mary
Favorite Target School: American
Favorite Safety School: Pittsburgh
In ten words or less, what you plan to put in your personal statement: Passion for art history & volunteer experience in an art museum; or something about my leadership experience

Most likely I am applying to W&M, American, Pitt, Washington & Lee, WVU, UNC

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Yeah, I think they receive it, process it, and then tell you that they have it. I was thoroughly convinced that my transcript had gotten held up by our Canadian postal system being all, you know, on strike. But both my first LOR and my transcript got through, so good thing I got moving on that earlier.

I'm going to send in an updated transcript after my summer course, which will hopefully move my GPA up a bit overall.

I've somewhat crazily decided to apply for Rhodes as well. Might as well throw my hat in the ring, I guess - my university sent me a letter informing me of my eligibility and it set me off wondering if I should apply. Like I needed MORE applications to worry about, but oh well.

Also re: amount of schools, I originally was thinking quite a few, but further research into a) practicing in the States as a Canadian and/or b) returning to Canada and the difficulties associated with either convinced me to only apply to schools that I would actually attend if admitted. I know, leverage, blah blah, but unless you can leverage your way into a full scholarship, not worth it. So I'm applying Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Michigan, and the university I currently attend for undergrad in Canada. Short & sweet.

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Hedwig wrote:Yeah, I think they receive it, process it, and then tell you that they have it. I was thoroughly convinced that my transcript had gotten held up by our Canadian postal system being all, you know, on strike. But both my first LOR and my transcript got through, so good thing I got moving on that earlier.

I'm going to send in an updated transcript after my summer course, which will hopefully move my GPA up a bit overall.

I've somewhat crazily decided to apply for Rhodes as well. Might as well throw my hat in the ring, I guess - my university sent me a letter informing me of my eligibility and it set me off wondering if I should apply. Like I needed MORE applications to worry about, but oh well.

Also re: amount of schools, I originally was thinking quite a few, but further research into a) practicing in the States as a Canadian and/or b) returning to Canada and the difficulties associated with either convinced me to only apply to schools that I would actually attend if admitted. I know, leverage, blah blah, but unless you can leverage your way into a full scholarship, not worth it. So I'm applying Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Michigan, and the university I currently attend for undergrad in Canada. Short & sweet.

No Stanford?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:30 pm

I haven't been too impressed with what I've heard about Stanford's loans for foreign students & repayment program. I'd love to go there but I'm not sure it's worth the 100$ app fee since I'm not sure it would even be possible, financially speaking, to attend.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Last edited by thelawschoolproject on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:10 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Anyone have any advice/knowledge on how law schools consider graduate transcripts? I know that graduate school GPAs aren't calculated into LSAC's GPA, and I'm assuming that the higher it is the better, but does anyone have any specific or more concrete information on this?

From what I gather, it's basically just another soft and the GPA doesn't have much of a positive effect since graduate GPAs tend to be inflated compared to UG. I've trawled a number of threads looking for more concrete info on how it compares to other softs like volunteering, work experience, etc. but to little avail. Anyone able to provide any sort of quantification?

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:16 am

They just processed my transcripts. One step closer. :)

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:33 am

Hey-oh.
Reach: Columbia (ED)
Target: NU (got in this year with no money)
Safety: NU, no money maybe? Possibly Vandy or Notre Dame.

Personal Statement: Weighing the options/discussing with my SO whether I should talk about significant trauma in my childhood and how that's led me to be passionate about women's rights. Definitely think it's the right call but it's going to take countless rewrites between now and September.

Also thinking of a retake to secure Columbia. SO is English and being very gracious about moving to the states, jobless, while I suffer through law school. (After all the apps are in, we're probably going to start making headway with Visa applications, having a civil ceremony if need be so he can work while I'm in school.) However, end goal is definitely London biglaw, and since Harvard is definitely out, Columbia seems to be the only place that offers an English dual-degree. They put me on reserve this year, cut the day before my birthday in early June. Know an early/more polished app with WE won't help much, and pretty sure ED won't get me there, so looks like my only option is a retake.
Last edited by descartesb4thehorse on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:05 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Hey-oh.

171/3.4x

Personal Statement: Weighing the options/discussing with my SO whether I should talk about significant trauma in my childhood and how that's led me to be passionate about women's rights. Definitely think it's the right call but it's going to take countless rewrites between now and September.

Also thinking of a retake to secure Columbia. SO is English and being very gracious about moving to the states, jobless, while I suffer through law school. (After all the apps are in, we're probably going to start making headway with Visa applications, having a civil ceremony if need be so he can work while I'm in school.) However, end goal is definitely London biglaw, and since Harvard is definitely out, Columbia seems to be the only place that offers an English dual-degree. They put me on reserve this year, cut the day before my birthday in early June. Know an early/more polished app with WE won't help much, and pretty sure ED won't get me there, so looks like my only option is a retake.

Quick question for TL;DRs: Does anyone know how to update the cycle year on LSAC to be considered for fee waivers this year? I clicked about every button there was and nothing seemed to work.

How much work experience have you had? I have very similar numbers and have had about a year and a half of full time work experience and would LOVE a chance at northwestern.

nids333

Postby nids333 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Sign into your LSAC account. Click on CRS on the left hand side of the page. Click on the edit CRS option. Then update your expected law school enrollment year.

descartesb4thehorse wrote:H
Quick question for TL;DRs: Does anyone know how to update the cycle year on LSAC to be considered for fee waivers this year? I clicked about every button there was and nothing seemed to work.

nids333

Postby nids333 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Sorry, forgot to add that CRS was under the profile section.

nids333 wrote:Sign into your LSAC account. Click on CRS on the left hand side of the page. Click on the edit CRS option. Then update your expected law school enrollment year.

descartesb4thehorse wrote:H

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:38 pm

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:Hey-oh.

171/3.4x

How much work experience have you had? I have very similar numbers and have had about a year and a half of full time work experience and would LOVE a chance at northwestern.

When I applied the first time I had very little (less than a year, and even that was mostly temp work). This time around I'll have ~2, depending on how they take my time off. I also did not interview. I was put on hold first and wrote the hold essays which I think convinced them I was a serious applicant. Pretty much, I was a serious applicant the whole time, but I applied so late that it was hard to really do everything that was required. This time around I'll definitely be visiting the Windy City to show them love.

P.S. Thanks for the help with switching the application year. I felt like a true internet n00b spending so much time looking around the site and not finding it. I even updated all of the other information in my CRS profile. Finally I did find it. Whew! Guess I'm officially in the club now.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:30 am

Just got my June score..

170/3.5 URM (half PR male, hope that counts)

Reach: CCN, Penn w/ $$
Target: UVA, Duke, GULC
Safety: GW

I made a "chances" thread but everyone hates me, what do you guys think my shot is at CCN and more importantly, T14 schollys? I would definitely take UVA/Penn money in a heartbeat. I'm retaking in Oct, what score do you guys think I need to make that a possibility?

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:22 am

Just got my June score in- 167. Found out that I'll have a 3.39 when I apply- FML. Is there anything I can do to maneuver this up to a 3.4+? Seems like the value of going from 3.39 to 3.4 is more than just the .01. Its so damn close though...

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:37 am

!
Last edited by Ernert on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:44 am

dasani13 wrote:

I'm waiting for my school to fix my transcripts cause there was a mistake made with one of my grades which brought me down to graduating with honors instead of high honors.. that's why I asked if that shows on the LSAC report. Since you said it does, I'll wait for my school to fix it and I'm gonna send it in as soon as it's done.

I already asked 2 professors for a letter.. they both said yes and I already gave one of them everything they need to write it, so I'm just waiting on her now. The other professor moved to freakin Mississippi so I'm working on mailing him all the stuff.

I think it will just say honors on the LSAC report. I had what you might consider "high honors" (president's list as opposed to Dean's list) and it just says "Honors" but I'm not sure how that works.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:45 am

Round 2

Why not

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:52 am

Deuce wrote:Round 2

Why not

Yay! More cycle friends. :D

I'm excited to get started on my application.

Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 am

Favorite Reach School: Stanford
Favorite Target School: NYU/Columbia
Favorite Safety School: Bzerk

pkrtbx

Postby pkrtbx » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:26 am

172/3.7ish

Reach: Columbia
Target: Michigan/Duke