2011-2012 Cycle Applicants! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spek

Bronze

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle Applicants!

Post by spek » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:35 pm

Hedwig wrote:Favorite Reach: Y
Favorite Target: Michigan
Favorite Safety: Canadian school

I've got a 174 and a 4 point something right now.

As for personal statement... I have a few ideas but nothing concrete. I'm kind of in the "afraid to even start" mode right now. Whoops...

I'm hoping to have everything in as soon as I have fee waivers. Which means I need to get my info and things to my LOR writers ASAP.

Hello fellow Canadian! I totally get the anxiety about starting the PS. I'm a perfectionist so I'm worried I'll never completely love my essay...

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:44 pm

spek wrote: Hello fellow Canadian! I totally get the anxiety about starting the PS. I'm a perfectionist so I'm worried I'll never completely love my essay...
Hey! Yeah, and since I went to a Canadian undergrad that didn't require a PS, this is really the first time I've written ANYTHING like this so it's difficult. I have sort of a July deadline for a rough draft, though, since one of my recommenders would like to read it before he writes his letter, so I've got to get a draft down :).

Are you applying to any schools in Canada as well?

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Hedwig wrote:
spek wrote: Hello fellow Canadian! I totally get the anxiety about starting the PS. I'm a perfectionist so I'm worried I'll never completely love my essay...
Hey! Yeah, and since I went to a Canadian undergrad that didn't require a PS, this is really the first time I've written ANYTHING like this so it's difficult. I have sort of a July deadline for a rough draft, though, since one of my recommenders would like to read it before he writes his letter, so I've got to get a draft down :).

Are you applying to any schools in Canada as well?
Nope I'll just be applying to American ones. My family's here now so I no longer have those ties to Canada.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

New

Post by blehGPAgoodLSAT » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:39 am

Reach Schools: Cornell/Northwestern, will apply to NYU for the hell of it... would LOVE to be in manhattan but it's a stretch with my #s.
Target Schools: USC/Fordham
Safety School: Indiana U/Davis
In ten words or less, what you plan to put in your personal statement: goals for international public policy/experience to support said goals

Cornell seems to be a go-to again this year, I read the applicants went up an absurd amount last cycle as well. Will be a fun one :) I'll definitely EA Cornell (since, correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't offer ED).

GPA: ~3.5 (upward trend)
LSAT: 170
Last edited by blehGPAgoodLSAT on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:08 am

Last edited by dasani13 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:53 am

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:01 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Good luck to all of you!

By the way, I had this FAQ up and running for our cycle: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=131727

If you guys want to use it and update it as it goes along, let me know. You might need to PM me during the fall, though, because I'll be a 1L and less likely to check up in the fall.

Don't forget Knock's Useful Links thread either: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=152447

Also, for the record, applying earlier is fantastic.
I miss you.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:40 pm

GPA: 3.23
LSAT: 163 in February, retook today and feel good about it (and my gut feeling was right last time -- I walked out of it thinking 163). Guessing 167-173.
Virginia resident

Favorite Reach: UVA ED
Favorite Target: William and Mary, GW
Favorite Safety: UC Davis, American, Washington and Lee

PS -- My struggles with my sexuality and how that ties into my former life as a musician and my future lawyer-ness.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

New

Post by blehGPAgoodLSAT » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:GPA: 3.23
LSAT: 163 in February, retook today and feel good about it (and my gut feeling was right last time -- I walked out of it thinking 163). Guessing 167-173.
Virginia resident

Favorite Reach: UVA ED
Favorite Target: William and Mary, GW
Favorite Safety: UC Davis, American, Washington and Lee

PS -- My struggles with my sexuality and how that ties into my former life as a musician and my future lawyer-ness.
Doesn't it feel awesome to be finally done?? :) Hope you got that 173 bud!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nids333

Bronze

Post by nids333 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:18 pm

Glad to see that we are all talking about this

Favorite Reach: Columbia
Favorite Target: Penn/Michigan
Favorite Safety: Georgetown

LSAT: 170
GPA: 4.00 + (Haven't submitted my transcript to LSAC for them to recalculate my GPA)

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:48 am

I wanted to be the one who started this thread you fucking div.

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:50 am

naterj wrote:I wanted to be the one who started this thread you fucking div.
Your post count is too low.

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 am

Favorite Reach School: UT/UCLA
Favorite Target School: UC Davis UC Hastings
Favorite Safety School: Some crappy one that has a joint MSW/JD with San Diego State
In ten words or less, what you plan to put in your personal statement: AmeriCorps and how it lead to my interest in Social Work and PI law

Right now my GPA is completely up in the air due to an academic petition with some grade changes not being finalized but I think it is hopefully going to be a 3.6ish. I take the LSAT in Oct I haven't started studying yet but I will be taking a live Blueprint course and because I will not be taking any actual academic classes and will only be work part time I will be able to devote a lot of time to studying... I have read that it is possible to get fee waivers for simply being an AmeriCorps alum so I will most likely apply to every school that gives me a wavier!

Was anyone else a lot more excited about applying a few months ago? I feel now that it is approaching I am getting way more anxious! Anyways glad to have this thread started.

Two things that got me a bit excited for law school today:
1. TLC's "What Not to Wear" featured a 2L from Nashville who was super hott but dressed somewhat like a hooker. I can relate somewhat and it just made me smile.
2. My cousin who is my age is visiting from Holland. She just finished her bachelors in law and now just has to do a 1 year masters which she has decided to focus on something to do with electronic technology and then she is done with school. I am VERY jealous but it has been great chatting with her.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:56 am

I agree with you: now that applications are approaching it's getting kinda scary. We are in a similar situation, given that I just started studying recently and will be devoting a lot of my time to the LSAT in the upcoming months. Good luck to us!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 am

JDndMSW wrote: 1. TLC's "What Not to Wear" featured a 2L from Nashville who was super hott but dressed somewhat like a hooker. I can relate somewhat and it just made me smile.
:lol:
Last edited by soj on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:29 am

SOJ, you're gonna kick ass, go to Harvard, and then own the world.
Good luck to you sir.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for the wishes, and good luck to you too! I have a soft spot for my study group thread friends. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:47 am

spek wrote:
Hedwig wrote:Favorite Reach: Y
Favorite Target: Michigan
Favorite Safety: Canadian school

I've got a 174 and a 4 point something right now.

As for personal statement... I have a few ideas but nothing concrete. I'm kind of in the "afraid to even start" mode right now. Whoops...

I'm hoping to have everything in as soon as I have fee waivers. Which means I need to get my info and things to my LOR writers ASAP.

Hello fellow Canadian! I totally get the anxiety about starting the PS. I'm a perfectionist so I'm worried I'll never completely love my essay...
Despite TLS being a gaggle of pretty arrogant (or at least of above average confidence) folks, many of the targets/reaches on this thread so far are pretty modest.

Hedwig...from what I've gleaned from the last 2 years of stalking this website, your numbers make Michigan more of a safety than a target. Are you perhaps worried that calling it a safety will jinx your cycle? =P

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:16 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
Despite TLS being a gaggle of pretty arrogant (or at least of above average confidence) folks, many of the targets/reaches on this thread so far are pretty modest.

Hedwig...from what I've gleaned from the last 2 years of stalking this website, your numbers make Michigan more of a safety than a target. Are you perhaps worried that calling it a safety will jinx your cycle? =P
I have added pressure to either go to a really great school or get a completely full ride because I'm Canadian, and I have to think about the added difficulty of being a foreign/Canadian born lawyer in America and/or the added difficulty of returning home to Canada...

So what I really mean when I say Michigan is my target is that Michigan with a full ride is my target. Although I guess that's kind of a reach as well, lol! But oh well.

Plus, I have fallen in love with Michigan. Especially since it looks like Hogwarts.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:40 pm

OMG, the pictures I've seen of Michigan are amazing. Seriously, so pretty. But coooooold!!!

androidhu

New

Post by androidhu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:10 pm

hi everybody! im gonna be joing this boat too. :)

LSDA GPA: 3.58 (from a small liberal arts college)
LSAT: 167, 171, and im waiting for the june score to come out *cross fingers*
Softs: mediocre extra-curricular activities in college, a master's degree in humanities
PS: no idea yet...

Favorite Reach: Penn, Columbia (if my june score makes some significant improvements, it might be doable?)
Favorite Target: Cornell, Georgetown
Favorite Safety: WUSTL

probably should start brainstorming for my PS..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:43 pm

androidhu wrote:hi everybody! im gonna be joing this boat too. :)

LSDA GPA: 3.58 (from a small liberal arts college)
LSAT: 167, 171, and im waiting for the june score to come out *cross fingers*
Softs: mediocre extra-curricular activities in college, a master's degree in humanities
PS: no idea yet...

Favorite Reach: Penn, Columbia (if my june score makes some significant improvements, it might be doable?)
Favorite Target: Cornell, Georgetown
Favorite Safety: WUSTL

probably should start brainstorming for my PS..
Ahh a third time retaker?? I was 166 to a 170. My studying in the 3 weeks leading up to my first retake was majorly derailed due to work. I really think I could have squeezed a few more points out of this test if I could have had those 3 weeks back.

Taking a third time seems like a big risk given the possibility of your score dropping, the time lost during the three months of commitment to study, and the potentially negative reaction your application may get from an adcomm. Did you struggle with the decision to go for the three-peat or did you know right away when you got your 171?

Would love to get some perspective on your thought process, I'm still considering an October retake in the back of my mind and would love to finally put the issue to rest.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 pm

GPA: 3.7
LSAT: 172
Softs: 2 year Americorps member, LDS mission, will have ~3.5 years experience running a business by the time I enter lawl school

Favorite Reach: CCN
Favorite target: MVPD w/ $$
Favorite safety: t13 sticker

1988AndX

New

Post by 1988AndX » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:44 pm

People on this thread do seem very modest.

cmckid

New

Post by cmckid » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Reach/Dream School: Chicago
Target: Penn/UVA
Safety: Vanderbilt/WUSTL

LSAT: Tested consistently in the high 170s, took June, expecting that.
GPA: 3.3

Softs: Co-founded a student services company and won some startup grants, operating at 5 schools, fluent in Chinese and spending 2011 in China studying and working, lots of research experience for profs, etc. Two pretty distinguished profs are writing my recs too.

I need that high LSAT to have a shot at Chicago. But I came out knowing I missed two and feeling iffy about only 4, so I'm hoping the two I know I missed were the only ones. I'd be happy at Penn and UVA, and if god forbid, I score only a 170 I think being from Nashville will still make me a shoo-in at Vandy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”