LOR Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ArtVandalay

LOR Question

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:26 pm

I have been working at a Fortune 20 company the past few summer's as an intern, and really have gotten some great experience and worked very hard while there. I can get a very good recommendation from my immediate manager(s) (whichever one I decide would be better), but I was wondering whether or not it would be beneficial to get a recommendation from a higher up manager, like a Senior VP in my area of the company (not super super high up or anything). I have a family connection to the company, which is how I originally got my first chance, so the SVP would be more than willing to write me the recommendation, attest to my abilities (which he would check with my immediate manager's first for details and examples, etc) and also does know me on at least somewhat of a personal letter. Thanks for any input.

JamMasterJ

Re: LOR Question

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Unless you have been out of school for a long time and don't have contact with any of your profs, you really shouldn't use managers for LOR's. They can't speak to the type of talent that adcomms want to hear about. Even a Congressman's LOR is weaker than a run-of-the-mill prof in most cases

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm

So even if I think its a better LOR I should only use professors? And even if I include one as a 3rd LOR you didn't answer my question

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Definitely still use the manager, do you think that you could have the immediat emanager write it and get both to sign it? At my small law firm I worked at I got the two associates who I work closely with to write a letter but the guy whose name is on the door agreed to sign it as well.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:52 pm

splitmuch wrote:Definitely still use the manager, do you think that you could have the immediat emanager write it and get both to sign it? At my small law firm I worked at I got the two associates who I work closely with to write a letter but the guy whose name is on the door agreed to sign it as well.

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for helping me out multiple times today. Should I ask the SVP then to also sign or is it worth seeing how high up I can go to get that second signature? I may be able to get higher.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:59 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Definitely still use the manager, do you think that you could have the immediat emanager write it and get both to sign it? At my small law firm I worked at I got the two associates who I work closely with to write a letter but the guy whose name is on the door agreed to sign it as well.

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for helping me out multiple times today. Should I ask the SVP then to also sign or is it worth seeing how high up I can go to get that second signature? I may be able to get higher.

I mean SVP seems pretty high to me, if you can get the CEOs name on it I'm sure that would help. Just remember that when you ask for it everyone is clear that you are asking for a joint letter. You don't want to offend your immediate manager by going "behind his back" for additional signatures and with multiple people signing you want the pronouns to be "we" instead of "I".

In fact, by asking for a joint letter you might strike gold because having them all agree to sign but none really wanting to spend the time to write it may mean they have you write it yourself and they all sign.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:18 pm

splitmuch wrote:
ArtVandalay wrote:

I mean SVP seems pretty high to me, if you can get the CEOs name on it I'm sure that would help. Just remember that when you ask for it everyone is clear that you are asking for a joint letter. You don't want to offend your immediate manager by going "behind his back" for additional signatures and with multiple people signing you want the pronouns to be "we" instead of "I".

In fact, by asking for a joint letter you might strike gold because having them all agree to sign but none really wanting to spend the time to write it may mean they have you write it yourself and they all sign.

Ha ha. From all I've read that isn't the best idea either. But yes SVP is definitely higher up, but at this company there are a lot of SVPs, and I may be able to go up to a VP (higher/more meaningful). But thanks for the advice on the joint letter and how to go about it. Appreciate it.

One last thing: Would this letter and one from a professor be good enough? Or should I be looking for TWO solid professor LORs and then this just as a 3rd?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:24 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
ArtVandalay wrote:

Ha ha. From all I've read that isn't the best idea either. But yes SVP is definitely higher up, but at this company there are a lot of SVPs, and I may be able to go up to a VP (higher/more meaningful). But thanks for the advice on the joint letter and how to go about it. Appreciate it.

One last thing: Would this letter and one from a professor be good enough? Or should I be looking for TWO solid professor LORs and then this just as a 3rd?

Well its risky but if you are confident you can pull it off, it could very well be worth it. Not that I would know. If you can get two solid prof ones thats more desirable than one, but I dont think it should matter too much. I actually didn't have a single recommendation from a prof. That probably hurt me, but I didn't actually get to know a single UG professor.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:44 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:One last thing: Would this letter and one from a professor be good enough? Or should I be looking for TWO solid professor LORs and then this just as a 3rd?

Two from profs, then use this as a third letter if the school let's you submit one.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:21 pm

bp shinners wrote:
ArtVandalay wrote:One last thing: Would this letter and one from a professor be good enough? Or should I be looking for TWO solid professor LORs and then this just as a 3rd?

Two from profs, then use this as a third letter if the school let's you submit one.

Yeah, professor recs letters are more important. I sent 3 prof recs to some places, including Yale.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:31 pm

bp shinners wrote:

This. If you want to use a non-academic letter, it should be your third one, unless you've been out of UG for quite a while

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”