How difficult to get into JAG?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
armyparalegalnco
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: How difficult to get into JAG?

Postby armyparalegalnco » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:30 pm

shepdawg wrote:
armyparalegalnco wrote:In order of precedence (hardest to easiest) this is the order of JAG difficulty based on pure size of the branches.

1. Coast Guard (Sometimes they only take 3 a year)
2. Air Force (They are just straight picky)
3. Marine Corps
4. Navy
5. Army

6. Any reserve componet


Disagree. Marines are enlisting 0L's as JAGs. There are guys from teh bottom 10% of my school doing boot camp with them this summer, thus ensuring guaranteed employment upon graduation.


Get your facts straight. You are talking about the PLC Law option in the Corps. You have to be a college senior or a 1 or 2L. And as the poster above mentioned, its not boot camp. Because they are not enlisted.

So, I disagree.

armyparalegalnco
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: How difficult to get into JAG?

Postby armyparalegalnco » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:32 pm

tothePAIN wrote:
shepdawg wrote:
armyparalegalnco wrote:In order of precedence (hardest to easiest) this is the order of JAG difficulty based on pure size of the branches.

1. Coast Guard (Sometimes they only take 3 a year)
2. Air Force (They are just straight picky)
3. Marine Corps
4. Navy
5. Army

6. Any reserve componet


Disagree. Marines are enlisting 0L's as JAGs. There are guys from teh bottom 10% of my school doing boot camp with them this summer, thus ensuring guaranteed employment upon graduation.


This response ignores the fact that being a Marine JAG is more competitive in some ways because of qualifications more related to being a Marine than being a JAG.

Edit: There's also a shit ton of ignorance in the above post.

1. Officers don't enlist, they accept a commission.
2. Its Officer Candidate School, not boot camp.
3. As noted above, being a Marine JAG involves more than being just a JAG, it also involves being a Marine Officer. Following Marine Corps philosophy, "Every Marine a rifleman", every officer, including JAGs, have to go through 6 months of infantry centric training to be a rifle platoon commander. Marine JAG is competitive, but not for the same reasons as say, biglaw.


Regardless of the extra training Marine JAGs go thru, we are talking stictley acceptance here. Not graduation or success. That said, the extra training is kind of moot.

tothePAIN
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: How difficult to get into JAG?

Postby tothePAIN » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:34 pm

In terms of acceptances, the Marine Corps is selective both because it is small and because it is looking for JAGs who could also serve an rifle platoon commanders. Its more than just grades, its leadership and physical fitness. 285 PFTs are about average for officers, even for JAGs.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bns212, fakemoney, MSNbot Media and 7 guests