What are my chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nsv

New

What are my chances?

Post by nsv » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:28 am

I have a bachelors in Computer Science from UCLA. My cumulative GPA was 3.783, and my upper division GPA was 3.892. How do law schools look at majors that are not related to law? For the past few months I have been studying very hard for the LSAT, most of the practice tests that I took were in the ~170 area. The only law related class that I took was introduction to constitution law during my last year at UCLA. Please advice as to how I can make my application shine. I am willing to take extra law related courses if that would boost my chances.

Thank you.

TheFactor

Silver

Re: What are my chances?

Post by TheFactor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:35 am

Only thing that matters is GPA and LSAT. Law schools don't give a shit about whether or not you take law-related courses in UG.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:42 am

nsv wrote:I have a bachelors in Computer Science(Very useful if you want to go into IP law) from UCLA. My cumulative GPA was 3.783(pretty good, get a 170+ and you'll be looking at T-14), and my upper division GPA was 3.892(irrelevant). How do law schools look at majors that are not related to law? For the past few months I have been studying very hard for the LSAT, most of the practice tests that I took were in the ~170 area. The only law related class that I took was introduction to constitution law during my last year at UCLA.(irrelevant) Please advice as to how I can make my application shine. I am willing to take extra law related courses if that would boost my chances.(don't do it)

Thank you.
Your GPA is good and your major is one of the more useful ones when seeking employment. Want to make your app shine? Score a 170+ on a real LSAT and you'll be looking at multiple T14 acceptances.

nsv

New

Post by nsv » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:02 am

bhan87 wrote:
nsv wrote:I have a bachelors in Computer Science(Very useful if you want to go into IP law) from UCLA. My cumulative GPA was 3.783(pretty good, get a 170+ and you'll be looking at T-14), and my upper division GPA was 3.892(irrelevant). How do law schools look at majors that are not related to law? For the past few months I have been studying very hard for the LSAT, most of the practice tests that I took were in the ~170 area. The only law related class that I took was introduction to constitution law during my last year at UCLA.(irrelevant) Please advice as to how I can make my application shine. I am willing to take extra law related courses if that would boost my chances.(don't do it)

Thank you.
Your GPA is good and your major is one of the more useful ones when seeking employment. Want to make your app shine? Score a 170+ on a real LSAT and you'll be looking at multiple T14 acceptances.
Yes, I am planning on going into intellectual property law. The practice LSAT tests that I am scoring around ~170 are from the 1999-2004. I don't know how much the test has changed since then. Should I take one of those online prep courses?

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:06 am

nsv wrote:
bhan87 wrote:

Thank you.
Yes, I am planning on going into intellectual property law. The practice LSAT tests that I am scoring around ~170 are from the 1999-2004. I don't know how much the test has changed since then. Should I take one of those online prep courses?
The test has changed a bit since that era, but that doesn't mean the scores you're getting are terrible indicators of your current performance (the curves from the 1990-95 era were very forgiving so those scores can be misleading).

Course vs. no course is a classic question, but imo I feel that if you're gonna opt for a course at all, might as well go all out with a live one. If you're still in the UCLA area, I highly recommend Blueprint. If Trent or Matt are teaching a course, you should take it in a heartbeat.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:16 am

TheFactor wrote:Only thing that matters is GPA and LSAT. Law schools don't give a shit about whether or not you take law-related courses in UG.
I met many pre-law people who scored less than a 150. It is funny how small a %age of prosecutors were criminal justice majors when so many criminal justice majors talk about their future as a prosecutor. i believe they have the lowest mean LSAT score of any college major as unfortunately Benson is not a choice on any question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”