deleted Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:17 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: How to approach factually innoncent arrest?

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:26 pm

If disclosure is required, then reveal the facts in an unemotional, clear & concise fashion. Experienced lawyers should be aware that improper & unjustified arrests occur. The key here is the manner in which you address the issue & how you plan to use your personal experience.

puppylaw

New

Post by puppylaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:43 pm

You should state that you were arrested, that you were innocent, that the charges were dropped, and that the record was sealed. I don't think disclosing this would harm you.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Typically the facts & circumstances surrounding the arrest must be disclosed on law school & bar applications; simply stating that one was arrested, the charges were dropped & that the record was sealed will lead to further inquiry.

OP: Do not permit a wrongful arrest to define you--let it motivate you to understand & help others.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 pm

It's really easy. I had a similar situation. Just state why you were arrested, why the mistake occurred and how the situation was resolved. Just be very careful not to sound the least bit indignant/angry about it. Facts only.
gottago wrote:I was wrongfully arrested when I was factually innocent. The DA found out and dropped charges. In my state, when an action is terminated favorably to the accused, the record is sealed and not disclosed to anybody except for police officer applications and pistol permits, which the licensing bar is not.

I've read that applicants should claim responsibility and not blame others, but how should someone truly innocent discuss something like that?

On the one hand, it sounds like something everybody with a dismissed record can say. On the other, saying "I've learned my lesson" doesn't quite fit. What's the harm in denying it if no one will find out?

Don't turn this into an ultimate judgment of moral values of honesty and integrity--I'm trying to get into some top law schools here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Agree with loblaw, but anger & indignation channeled ( or channelled) appropriately can do a lot of good.

gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Last edited by gottago on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:30 pm

gottago wrote:What's the problem with exercising my legal right to deny its happening, if the bar doesn't have the statutory authority to bypass the sealing protections?
not sure this is true. in any event, full disclosure is a basic C&F point, and is far outweighed by any imaginary increase in admissions chances. what's the point of getting into law school if you can never end up taking the bar because they find out you concealed/lied about your criminal past.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:55 am

gottago wrote:It wouldn't hurt me even at places like Yale and Harvard? I have a hard time believing that another applicant with similar credentials minus the mishap wouldn't be given an advantage. I would prefer to not concede any ground, as I'm sure all of you know, competition for places like that is stiff.

What's the problem with exercising my legal right to deny its happening, if the bar doesn't have the statutory authority to bypass the sealing protections?
The thing is, it really doesn't matter. The law school seriously will not care about you being falsely accused of something. They might even feel bad for you. If you fail to disclose and they find out, however, they will care. A LOT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 pm

There are arrests resulting in dropped charges that raise concerns---such as when witnesses disappear.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:32 pm

loblaw wrote:
gottago wrote:It wouldn't hurt me even at places like Yale and Harvard? I have a hard time believing that another applicant with similar credentials minus the mishap wouldn't be given an advantage. I would prefer to not concede any ground, as I'm sure all of you know, competition for places like that is stiff.

What's the problem with exercising my legal right to deny its happening, if the bar doesn't have the statutory authority to bypass the sealing protections?
The thing is, it really doesn't matter. The law school seriously will not care about you being falsely accused of something. They might even feel bad for you. If you fail to disclose and they find out, however, they will care. A LOT.
+1

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:36 pm

You only need to disclose at schools whose apps say "even if the charges have been dropped," which is well under half of apps. I also agree it won't have an effect on you.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Without knowing the facts & circumstances of this matter, it is difficult to predict whether or not the arrest will adversely affect your law school applications.

Most law school applications are likely to ask about any arrests---regardless as to whether or not charges were filed or subsequently dropped or dismissed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”