Running a Law Firm like a Business Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Running a Law Firm like a Business

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:00 am

blink wrote:
It could mean that your're 19 or 20 years old, which would make this question understandable.
Actually it's completely understandable regardless. How many people actually competently know how to run a business?

Maserati91

New

Post by Maserati91 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:06 am

r6_philly wrote:
blink wrote:
It could mean that your're 19 or 20 years old, which would make this question understandable.
Actually it's completely understandable regardless. How many people actually competently know how to run a business?
I'm 19 and pondering the field of Law. I'm a business major and I like the idea of being a Lawyer but want to do something in the corporate world and have my own business one day.. so that's why I asked the question. Wanted to know how real it was to start a big law firm

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:08 am

Maserati91 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
blink wrote:
I'm 19 and pondering the field of Law. I'm a business major and I like the idea of being a Lawyer but want to do something in the corporate world and have my own business one day.. so that's why I asked the question. Wanted to know how real it was to start a big law firm
TBF, I've always tried thinking up similar stuff. Just worry about being a successful lawyer first, you can go from there.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 am

NYC Law wrote: TBF, I've always tried thinking up similar stuff. Just worry about doing well in school and enjoying life, you can go from there.
Also, compelling associates to work stupid-crazy hours in a firm for market pay with no partnership possibility is not likely to attract many quality employees.
Last edited by notanumber on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 am

Maserati91 wrote: I'm 19 and pondering the field of Law. I'm a business major and I like the idea of being a Lawyer but want to do something in the corporate world and have my own business one day.. so that's why I asked the question. Wanted to know how real it was to start a big law firm
I have owned multiple businesses with varying degrees of success. Even after the fact, luck was the number one factor. The world is too dynamic to predict how "real" it is to start a big business. I am sure Zuckerberg did not envision a billion dollar company when he started ... point is, you may be tempted to study a certain success and find out what it did well, but that doesn't mean if you do just as well or better you area assured of the same success. I think it is not very "real" to start a big firm in the statistical sense, but if you have what it takes (luck + skill) then it's as real as anything else you can think of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 am

r6_philly wrote:
blink wrote:
I just meant that it is so far down the road that even if it were realistic for OP, it is not really worth worrying about just yet. (LSAT, applications, 1L, SA, 2L,.....partnership track at a big firm, attract enough clients to go elsewhere, etc)

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:46 am

this site does a remarkable job of telling people to not be ambitious because you'll probably fail. it's actually pretty amazing how consistent it is.

that said, kinda a silly question.

Maserati91

New

Post by Maserati91 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:51 am

dkt4 wrote:this site does a remarkable job of telling people to not be ambitious because you'll probably fail. it's actually pretty amazing how consistent it is.

that said, kinda a dumb question.
I've learned to look over the negative criticism and just absorb the useful information. :D

Not just this site, but life in general.

Me: "My goal is to one day have my own firm"
Person: "GL with that, you know how many people fail.. you have to be extremelyyy lucky"
Me: "I know but I'm gonna work really hard, besides there are plenty of people that did it"
Person: "They are exceptions or geniuses, not everyone has what it takes" *basically insinuating I will fail*

I love people :)

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:55 am

Do you have any experience actually running a business?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Maserati91

New

Post by Maserati91 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:00 am

dr123 wrote:Do you have any experience actually running a business?
Nope, not as of yet.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:04 am

Might be helpful to get some management type experience if you plan on opening your own firm, most of management cant really be taught in school.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:11 am

i would have to guess that the only way for your own law firm to work would be if you

1. used a different business model from the billable hour to attract clients
2. yet still paid full price, or even more, to attract top lawyers
3. maximized on new legal technology to hire less scrubs
4. ?????
5. make forbes?

i don't know. it all comes down to "rainmaking" ability which i am still trying to figure out... i don't think it's possible without being from one of those families that just knows everyone.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:14 am

dkt4 wrote:this site does a remarkable job of telling people to not be ambitious because you'll probably fail. it's actually pretty amazing how consistent it is.

that said, kinda a silly question.
You are confusing telling people that you will probably fail with telling someone not to be ambitious. Tell people they are not going to get 180 != telling people not to aim for 180.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:15 am

glitched wrote:i would have to guess that the only way for your own law firm to work would be if you

4. ?????
5. make forbes?

i don't know. it all comes down to "rainmaking" ability which i am still trying to figure out... i don't think it's possible without being from one of those families that just knows everyone.
I think OP referred to "big" law firm, not just a law firm.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:16 am

Maserati91 wrote: I've learned to look over the negative criticism and just absorb the useful information. :D

Person: "GL with that, you know how many people fail.. you have to be extremelyyy lucky"
Me: "I know but I'm gonna work really hard, besides there are plenty of people that did it"
Person: "They are exceptions or geniuses, not everyone has what it takes" *basically insinuating I will fail*

You will love people much, much, much more after you hold a job for 20 years or so.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
glitched wrote:i would have to guess that the only way for your own law firm to work would be if you

4. ?????
5. make forbes?

I think OP referred to "big" law firm, not just a law firm.
gotta start small to turn big.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
Maserati91 wrote: I'm 19 and pondering the field of Law. I'm a business major and I like the idea of being a Lawyer but want to do something in the corporate world and have my own business one day.. so that's why I asked the question. Wanted to know how real it was to start a big law firm
I have owned multiple businesses with varying degrees of success. Even after the fact, luck was the number one factor. The world is too dynamic to predict how "real" it is to start a big business. I am sure Zuckerberg did not envision a billion dollar company when he started ... point is, you may be tempted to study a certain success and find out what it did well, but that doesn't mean if you do just as well or better you area assured of the same success. I think it is not very "real" to start a big firm in the statistical sense, but if you have what it takes (luck + skill) then it's as real as anything else you can think of.
I hate when people use the word "luck" to describe factors that they didn't or wouldn't account for. Just because it's not something you can easily or accurately calculate (and thus account for) doesn't make it luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Maserati91

New

Post by Maserati91 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:19 am

r6_philly wrote:
Maserati91 wrote: I've learned to look over the negative criticism and just absorb the useful information. :D

You will love people much, much, much more after you hold a job for 20 years or so.
I can't waittt :D

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:20 am

Ty Webb wrote: I hate when people use the word "luck" to describe factors that they didn't or wouldn't account for. Just because it's not something you can easily or accurately calculate (and thus account for) doesn't make it luck.
so what word would you use for a factor you can't account for or control?

luck, noun, success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions - from my mac dictionary.

edited for typo
Last edited by r6_philly on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:21 am

Is it Luck = Opportunity + Preparation
or
Opportunity = Preparation + Luck?

If it is the former, would Preparation just be Opportunity minus luck?

I can't keep my entrepreneurship quotes straight.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:24 am

Maserati91 wrote:
Actually, seeing that you have not had that experience yet, you should treasure the fact that you can wait. l 8)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Maserati91

New

Post by Maserati91 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 am

r6_philly wrote:
Maserati91 wrote:
Actually, seeing that you have not had that experience yet, you should treasure the fact that you can wait. l 8)
This shall be the elevator song at my law firm when I make it.. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3DPvbmJTo

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:27 am

NYC Law wrote:Is it Luck = Opportunity + Preparation
or
Opportunity = Preparation + Luck?

If it is the former, would Preparation just be Opportunity minus luck?

I can't keep my entrepreneurship quotes straight.
It's a philosophical question. But philosophy should only guide your decisions, not dictate it.

Luck is just the things you don't directly control. You can influence your luck, but there is still an element of chance at the end. We can't and don't control every factor, might as well focus our strength on things we can control and hope for the best.

But I believe in the latter.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 am

Maserati91 wrote:

You can be pragmatic and ambitious BTW. They are not mutually exclusive, unlike the others would have you believe.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 am

Maserati91 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Maserati91 wrote:

i believe that if you have a good plan, then you can do it. but don't expect to represent companies like goldman sachs, mckinsey, or apple. you'll probably represent small people who are looking for relief from personal injury or petty crimes for most of your career. and you'll be putting in monster hours while barely turning a profit. finally when you get a few lawyers on your payroll, you'll still have to spend all your time finding clients, meeting them, begging them to represent them. mergers and acquisitions? i highly doubt you'll ever see that at your own firm. tax work? probably not. patent? unless you yourself have a degree in a hard science, laughable. most likely you'll deal with torts, criminal, and maybe contracts. can you deal with that?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”