MA before JD?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vicky_speaks

Re: MA before JD?

Postby vicky_speaks » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:36 pm

flcath wrote:
TTH wrote:
flcath wrote:Depends on how much it costs. 6 hours (half-time) gets you a break on your loan payments, and if he's going to, say, FSU, the tuition is like nothing.

We're talking like $400.

Well, that's fair, but don't most online programs (even online programs offered through legit universities) charge through the nose?

I am proud to say that I have no idea.

I would hope to god that if OP is really taking classes just to put off loans, he isn't going substantially deeper into debt. I guess we're on the same page; I just assumed that OP isn't retarded.

thanks, you seem to be one of the few posters that didn't! lol...but yeah, I have a scholarship offer from one school (that is a not for-profit just to clarify) and I have some help from family that would basically cover all my costs. Plus I figure having something to show on the resume for the two years I can't work and I have to take classes is better than not.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:53 pm

vicky_speaks wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:r6_philly has the right idea. If your aim is to avoid repayment rather than to get valuable education, you'd be far better off obtaining a forbearance or enrolling in income-based repayment. Don't put yourself further into debt for something that doesn't sound like it will be of much value to you.

Again, just to clarify, I have to be enrolled in school for economic reasons besides the loan repayment. Deferment is really not an option. The question is whether it is better to get a degree out of the equation or not.

Go to community college and take 2 art/photography/music/dance classes and pay the minimum.

BeaverHunter

Postby BeaverHunter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Unless you delve deeper into the financial "benefits" of attending an online MA program you are not going to get helpful advice because at first thought your plan seems ludicrous. An MA degree from an online institution is worth the same in law school admissions as it is in real life, which is to say nothing.

I'd consider a babysitter and a job.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:55 pm

BeaverHunter wrote:Unless you delve deeper into the financial "benefits" of attending an online MA program you are not going to get helpful advice because at first thought your plan seems ludicrous. An MA degree from an online institution is worth the same in law school admissions as it is in real life, which is to say nothing.

I'd consider a babysitter and a job.

Just to clarify, there is a difference between online institutions and legitimate universities that have some classes online.

I wonder if that Harvard extension program is a good idea (hypothetically, I wouldn't do it). I know it isn't prestigious/selective, but surely it would still trick unsuspecting HR reps into hiring you - at least if they aren't from the Northeast region.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”