School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Supertme41
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:02 pm

School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby Supertme41 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:26 pm

Firstly, I searched and couldn't find anything particularly helpful.

Essentially, my question is this: which schools in the top 14 (and top 20-25) require specific recommendations/school forms other than the 2 letters from LSAC? Do any require/suggest that 1 or 2 evaluations is present? I'm starting to pull together an application for the fall 2012 semester, and my numbers put me in the running for top 14 schools. As of now, I know that both Stanford and Yale require specific letters/targeted recommendations. Are evaluations recommended in addition to the rec letters? Any other top schools have a similar practice that I should know about? I am looking to approach 2 professors within the week and want to give them all necessary materials so that I don't have to go back and add to the stack later. Thanks

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby Magnolia » Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 pm

NU had a special evaluation form for recommenders this year. There was a lot of confusion and drama about whether it was required or just preferred. I'm not sure if they'll keep it around for this coming cycle or if it will be required. If it is, you should ask for it early. My recommender said it was a pain in the ass to fill out.

User avatar
fatdouche
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby fatdouche » Tue May 31, 2011 10:13 pm

STanford likes special LOR's

Supertme41
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Re: School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby Supertme41 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:17 pm

So within the top ~20 law schools, Northwestern and Stanford are the only schools that require any sort of specific recommendation form?

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby cardinals1989 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Supertme41 wrote:So within the top ~20 law schools, Northwestern and Stanford are the only schools that require any sort of specific recommendation form?


Technically, Stanford does not REQUIRE targeted letters. They are very highly suggested, but you can just send in two regular letters without the Stanford specific form.

Peg
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 am

Re: School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby Peg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Mostly, it's a waste of time. The point of the LOR should be to reveal your good qualities and to justify the recommender's good opinion of you. If the recommender is an alumnus/alumna of the law school you're applying to, then that's a plus, but that's the only case where I'd see that writing specific LORs for the law school could help. Maybe you should do specialized LORs for HYS, but otherwise it's not worth the extra trouble IMO.

blehGPAgoodLSAT
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:14 am

Re: School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Peg wrote:Mostly, it's a waste of time. The point of the LOR should be to reveal your good qualities and to justify the recommender's good opinion of you. If the recommender is an alumnus/alumna of the law school you're applying to, then that's a plus, but that's the only case where I'd see that writing specific LORs for the law school could help. Maybe you should do specialized LORs for HYS, but otherwise it's not worth the extra trouble IMO.

What would be a good way to incorporate the fact that the person writing my LOR is a Stanford alumnus?

I know you're not supposed/it's unethical to help write the LOR in any way but I draft almost all the emails/letters/court documents for the attorney who I work for so he'll probably ask me to do a skeletal draft at the least. My other two prof LORs were all completely independently done by the profs so I'm not too worried about the LORs sounding the same.

How should I have him indicate that he has a JD from Stanford--he's also very socially and financially active with the Stanford alumni network... if that matters at all? I'm thinking of saying something in the body for the specific LOR like "blehGPA would make a great addition to Stanford's student body because [all the reasons why I'm rad]" and in the general LOR just sign his name John Doe Esq., Stanford Law Class of '6X. Any suggestions for a better way to do it?

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:03 pm

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:I'm thinking of saying something in the body for the specific LOR like "blehGPA would make a great addition to Stanford's student body because [all the reasons why I'm rad]" and in the general LOR just sign his name John Doe Esq., Stanford Law Class of '6X. Any suggestions for a better way to do it?


That's probably the best way. Honestly, it won't be nearly as much of a boost as most people think. If he had enough pull to make a difference, he'd pick up the phone and call someone.

User avatar
nids333
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby nids333 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:15 pm

What would you guys suggest for Stanford's specific recommendation if you do not know any alumni? What should the specific recommender mention? The fact that Stanford highly recommends a targeted letter suggests that it frowns heavily upon the applicants who do not submit this.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: School Specific Letters of Recommendation?

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:23 pm

nids333 wrote:What would you guys suggest for Stanford's specific recommendation if you do not know any alumni? What should the specific recommender mention? The fact that Stanford highly recommends a targeted letter suggests that it frowns heavily upon the applicants who do not submit this.


I didn't know any Stanford alumni personally, but I still did the 2 targeted letters. I told my recommenders the specific programs, professors, and other things I like about Stanford and had them say what about me makes me a good match for all that.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests