Apply Early or Wait for Fall Semester Grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cogitoergosum

Apply Early or Wait for Fall Semester Grades?

Postby cogitoergosum » Tue May 31, 2011 7:22 pm

Last edited by cogitoergosum on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Re: Apply Early or Wait for Fall Semester Grades?

Postby bk1 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:24 pm

I'd wait for the grades.

I'd also recommend retaking the LSAT because bumping up even a point or two would make a huge difference in your apps.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue May 31, 2011 7:27 pm

I know a few grade points ( .1, .2, .3, etc) don't usually matter that much, but I think a 3.11 looks much better than a 2.97.

Just my thoughts.

edit - You could apply early, and request that your application be held until fall grades are released. Schools don't have to honor your request though.

fatdouche

Postby fatdouche » Tue May 31, 2011 10:35 pm

bk1 wrote:I'd wait for the grades.

I'd also recommend retaking the LSAT because bumping up even a point or two would make a huge difference in your apps.

this guy knows what he's talking about

bsawyer1

Postby bsawyer1 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:57 pm

I would be interested in the same question but for my situation, obviously.

I'll be applying next year and I have a 3.23 which should jump to a 3.31 after the fall and I have a 164 on the LSAT. Not great numbers but not awful. I'm looking at law schools in the University of Georgia/Wake Forest range and would appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue May 31, 2011 11:06 pm

bsawyer1 wrote:I would be interested in the same question but for my situation, obviously.

I'll be applying next year and I have a 3.23 which should jump to a 3.31 after the fall and I have a 164 on the LSAT. Not great numbers but not awful. I'm looking at law schools in the University of Georgia/Wake Forest range and would appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

OP should wait for fall grades. Some schools have hard 3.0 GPA floors, so the difference between a 2.97 and a 3.11 is enormous.

bsawyer, it will depend on the medians and 25% percentiles for the c/o 2014 at each school. If the difference in your GPA is the difference in being above the GPA median and not, then it would be worth it to wait. If it's the difference between being over the 25% percentile or not, then the benefit isn't as big, and is maybe even negated by the cost of applying late. If both GPAs are under the 25% percentile then there is no benefit to waiting for fall grades.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”