IP Law vs Patent Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Maserati91

New

IP Law vs Patent Law

Post by Maserati91 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:29 am

Hello, I was doing research on Intellectual Property Law and Patent Law. I can't seem to figure out whether they are the same thing or not. I am very interested in IP Law but am not sure whether I need an engineering degree in undergrad. I'm pursuing a finance degree at the moment. I know for patent law you do need an engineering degree, so that is why I was wondering if they were the same or not. Also, Fashion law falls under IP Law right?

Platinum

Re: IP Law vs Patent Law

Post by 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:38 am

Wow you are beyond confused. And what the fuck is fashion law??

Start here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=3&t=316

LurkerNoMore

Bronze

Post by LurkerNoMore » Tue May 31, 2011 6:39 am

Patent law is a subset of IP law. IP law includes patent, copyright and trademark. If you want to do patent prosecutions, you need to pass the patent bar and must have a hard science background. For most of this work you really want an advanced degree. Patent litigation does not require that you have a hard science background, but most elite firms will want you to have it anyway.

Copyright and trademark are what are known as "soft IP." You don't need a particular background for these. Some of what you are calling "fashion law" would fit in here. Beware of choosing an industry and and sticking "law" on to it though. Lawyers tend to break down along functional legal roles, not by industry (though more firms are starting to put together teams that focus on particular industries). So a fashion industry client would not generally have one attorney at a firm that does all of their work -- they would have one attorney for IP issues, another for their employment law issues, another for tax, another for contracts, etc.

Maserati91

New

Post by Maserati91 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:18 pm

chimp wrote:Wow you are beyond confused. And what the fuck is fashion law??

Start here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=3&t=316
--LinkRemoved--

That's fashion law

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Sounds like a really obscure sector. I don't know about you, but I would prefer to work at a firm like this:

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Maserati91

New

Post by Maserati91 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:47 pm

chimp wrote:Sounds like a really obscure sector. I don't know about you, but I would prefer to work at a firm like this:

--LinkRemoved--
Isn't that personal injury?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Maserati91 wrote:
chimp wrote:Sounds like a really obscure sector. I don't know about you, but I would prefer to work at a firm like this:

--LinkRemoved--
Isn't that personal injury?
lol clearly you didn't look at the name of the firm...

Maserati91

New

Post by Maserati91 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:49 pm

lmao

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:51 pm

I was just pulling your leg guy. I hope the above link helped a bit though. :wink:

And for the record, I know nothing about "fashion law" and doubt many people do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:58 pm

chimp wrote:I was just pulling your leg guy. I hope the above link helped a bit though. :wink:

And for the record, I know nothing about "fashion law" and doubt many people do.
You know, fashion law. Like when you feel society has been slighted by the horrible outfit your friend is wearing. This is an important area of the law. If there weren't lawyers prosecuting these crimes, offenders would be back on the street wearing ugly clothes with complete disregard for the law.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:02 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
chimp wrote:I was just pulling your leg guy. I hope the above link helped a bit though. :wink:

You know, fashion law. Like when you feel society has been slighted by the horrible outfit your friend is wearing. This is an important area of the law. If there weren't lawyers prosecuting these crimes, offenders would be back on the street wearing ugly clothes with complete disregard for the law.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Maserati91 wrote:Hello, I was doing research on Intellectual Property Law and Patent Law. I can't seem to figure out whether they are the same thing or not. I am very interested in IP Law but am not sure whether I need an engineering degree in undergrad. I'm pursuing a finance degree at the moment. I know for patent law you do need an engineering degree, so that is why I was wondering if they were the same or not. Also, Fashion law falls under IP Law right?
You should really do some real research instead of just posting questions over and over again. Also, go to a party, get laid, enjoy college, worry about this when you actually know enough to worry.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:08 pm

paratactical wrote:
Maserati91 wrote:Hello, I was doing research on Intellectual Property Law and Patent Law. I can't seem to figure out whether they are the same thing or not. I am very interested in IP Law but am not sure whether I need an engineering degree in undergrad. I'm pursuing a finance degree at the moment. I know for patent law you do need an engineering degree, so that is why I was wondering if they were the same or not. Also, Fashion law falls under IP Law right?
You should really do some real research instead of just posting questions over and over again. Also, go to a party, get laid, enjoy college, worry about this when you actually know enough to worry.
Bruins defeated in 4 straight starting tonight. :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:10 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Bruins defeated in 4 straight starting tonight. :mrgreen:
USA USA USA

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:48 am

paratactical wrote:
+1. You don't need to start a thread for every neurotic concern of yours that arises during your "research". I'm pretty sure if you had done actual research on any of the topics you keep creating threads about, instead of searching Yahoo Answers, you would've found the answers to your questions.

Oh hey, look what I found by searching "intellectual property" on Wikipedia!
Common types of intellectual property include copyrights, trademarks, patents, industrial design rights and trade secrets in some jurisdictions.
That's some in-depth research you're conducting there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”