Legacy Status

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Legacy Status

Postby Helicio » Mon May 30, 2011 9:58 pm

.
Last edited by Helicio on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby NYC Law » Mon May 30, 2011 10:07 pm

Helicio wrote:Hi guys,

As a white applicant who does not come from money, I was just wondering how much legacy, rich people who donate to the school, and the such play a role in law school admissions. Do they play as much of a role in law school admissions as they did in undergrad. admissions?

In other words, are there more spots open in law school admissions for white people who aren't rich and who aren't legacy to be accepted on merit alone? Or do legacy/donors play as large a role as they did in undergrad. admissions?


Why do you always put a period between undergrad admissions?

Anyway, no, legacies aren't nearly as prominent in law school admissions. It can help at schools like Yale, but its occurance is very rarely publicly known.

But who knows. Published medians always seem much lower than lawschoolnumbers medians, maybe it's due to a ton of legacies who keep it on the down low.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby delusional » Mon May 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Helicio wrote:Hi guys,

As a white applicant who does not come from money, I was just wondering how much legacy, rich people who donate to the school, and the such play a role in law school admissions. Do they play as much of a role in law school admissions as they did in undergrad. admissions?

In other words, are there more spots open in law school admissions for white people who aren't rich and who aren't legacy to be accepted on merit alone? Or do legacy/donors play as large a role as they did in undergrad. admissions?

Dude. Don't sweat the odd stuff. Kill the LSAT, and Harvard is your oyster.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby Helicio » Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 pm

How do people know that donors/legacies aren't as important in Law School admissions? I've heard this before, but is there any concrete evidence? Does legacy play less of a role since with less spots, law schools want a stronger class?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby fatduck » Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 pm

in the absence of evidence, assume whatever you please

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby delusional » Mon May 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Helicio wrote:How do people know that donors/legacies aren't as important in Law School admissions? I've heard this before, but is there any concrete evidence? Does legacy play less of a role since with less spots, law schools want a stronger class?

I think someone once pointed out on the board that people with too much money don't bother going to trade school.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby flcath » Mon May 30, 2011 10:30 pm

delusional wrote:
Helicio wrote:How do people know that donors/legacies aren't as important in Law School admissions? I've heard this before, but is there any concrete evidence? Does legacy play less of a role since with less spots, law schools want a stronger class?

I think someone once pointed out on the board that people with too much money don't bother going to trade school.

I was going to say the same thing.

Families with buildings named after them don't send their kids to law school. UG is all that's required to pass the social muster.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby Helicio » Mon May 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Well then, this is encouraging. Thanks :).

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon May 30, 2011 10:36 pm

flcath wrote:
delusional wrote:
Helicio wrote:How do people know that donors/legacies aren't as important in Law School admissions? I've heard this before, but is there any concrete evidence? Does legacy play less of a role since with less spots, law schools want a stronger class?

I think someone once pointed out on the board that people with too much money don't bother going to trade school.

I was going to say the same thing.

Families with buildings named after them don't send their kids to law school. UG is all that's required to pass the social muster.


Exactly, unless you feel you have to prove something like the Kennedys, why the hell would you go to law school if you were from a wealthy family?

wester0
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby wester0 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 am

...
Last edited by wester0 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slacker
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby slacker » Tue May 31, 2011 12:24 am

wester0 wrote:Proof that legacy status can play a significant role in admissions.


I've never really understood the brother mentioned in that LSN profile. If the brother had good enough numbers to go to Columbia, he easily could've gotten Yale assuming a similar legacy boost was given.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Legacy Status

Postby dr123 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:25 am

wester0 wrote:Proof that legacy status can play a significant role in admissions.


He's not your average run of the mill legacy, his uncle is a professor at YLS and from the sounds of it his father and grandfather are/were donors

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby flcath » Tue May 31, 2011 1:27 am

dr123 wrote:
wester0 wrote:Proof that legacy status can play a significant role in admissions.


He's not your average run of the mill legacy, his uncle is a professor at YLS and from the sounds of it his father and grandfather are/were donors

If this is real then we should be able to easily verify it.

wester0
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby wester0 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:59 am

...
Last edited by wester0 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Legacy Status

Postby ahduth » Tue May 31, 2011 8:46 am

Whatever, this guy is an anecdote. This isn't Fox News - one anecdote doesn't make "legacy status impact" true or interesting.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Legacy Status

Postby flcath » Tue May 31, 2011 5:20 pm

ahduth wrote:Whatever, this guy is an anecdote. This isn't Fox News - one anecdote doesn't make "legacy status impact" true or interesting.

More to the point, the quantity of ppl we'd be talking about is really low. It's not like, say, URM preference, which affects a substantial enough portion of applicants to make a difference to everyone's odds.

(Not a shot at AA.)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arthrod, Bing [Bot], Kimmysradscreenname and 6 guests