The JD/MBA Program

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby bdubs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:59 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:
bdubs wrote:FYI -

Kellogg is 33% LA but more than 50% of those are econ majors
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... ofile.aspx

Booth is 49% LA but again more than 50% are econ majors
http://www.vault.com/images/pdf/samples ... Report.pdf

Yeah, that makes more sense now. Majoring in economics, getting a really good job, and then attending an M7 makes sense instead of half of the class majoring in a cake major. I bet most LA majors went to a elite UG.


Yeah, I know that there are some straight up liberal arts people in the programs, but top jobs also like people with math or statistics majors. Not everyone who is a liberal arts major does something fluffy and easy.

User avatar
fatdouche
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby fatdouche » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:00 pm

bdubs wrote:
fatdouche wrote:JD MBA's have a lower income potential than just JD's and just MBA's. Pick one.


That is just not true. Perhaps debt adjusted, but raw income potential is as good or better for JD/MBAs at top programs.

ETA: Your username is apt

No. A JD/MBA who goes into law gets screwed out of jobs against other JD's cause he's a flight risk. Same thing with business jobs. They end up making less in both fields.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby bdubs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 pm

fatdouche wrote:
bdubs wrote:
fatdouche wrote:JD MBA's have a lower income potential than just JD's and just MBA's. Pick one.


That is just not true. Perhaps debt adjusted, but raw income potential is as good or better for JD/MBAs at top programs.

ETA: Your username is apt

No. A JD/MBA who goes into law gets screwed out of jobs against other JD's cause he's a flight risk. Same thing with business jobs. They end up making less in both fields.


Tell that to this guy:
http://www.wlrk.com/Page.cfm/Thread/Att ... 2C%20Leigh

Curry

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby Curry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:02 pm

bdubs wrote:
fatdouche wrote:
bdubs wrote:
fatdouche wrote:JD MBA's have a lower income potential than just JD's and just MBA's. Pick one.


That is just not true. Perhaps debt adjusted, but raw income potential is as good or better for JD/MBAs at top programs.

ETA: Your username is apt

No. A JD/MBA who goes into law gets screwed out of jobs against other JD's cause he's a flight risk. Same thing with business jobs. They end up making less in both fields.


Tell that to this guy:
http://www.wlrk.com/Page.cfm/Thread/Att ... 2C%20Leigh

Glad we're taking exceptions to the rule to be the rule now.

User avatar
nphsbuckeye
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 am

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby nphsbuckeye » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 pm

bdubs wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:
bdubs wrote:FYI -

Kellogg is 33% LA but more than 50% of those are econ majors
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... ofile.aspx

Booth is 49% LA but again more than 50% are econ majors
http://www.vault.com/images/pdf/samples ... Report.pdf

Yeah, that makes more sense now. Majoring in economics, getting a really good job, and then attending an M7 makes sense instead of half of the class majoring in a cake major. I bet most LA majors went to a elite UG.


Yeah, I know that there are some straight up liberal arts people in the programs, but top jobs also like people with math or statistics majors. Not everyone who is a liberal arts major does something fluffy and easy.

Yeah, I'm sure ITE they're definitely the exception to the rule (well, maybe not as much with a HYSP degree). It's not like STEM majors have a lot of experience out of the gate, but at least they majored in something useful.

User avatar
nphsbuckeye
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 am

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby nphsbuckeye » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:26 pm

fatdouche wrote:
bdubs wrote:
fatdouche wrote:JD MBA's have a lower income potential than just JD's and just MBA's. Pick one.


That is just not true. Perhaps debt adjusted, but raw income potential is as good or better for JD/MBAs at top programs.

ETA: Your username is apt

No. A JD/MBA who goes into law gets screwed out of jobs against other JD's cause he's a flight risk. Same thing with business jobs. They end up making less in both fields.

Isn't that forum conjecture? I've heard many angles of the JD/MBA, and most opinions are ignorant and not of first-hand experience.

wojo96
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby wojo96 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:28 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:most opinions are ignorant and not of first-hand experience.


=90% of TLS’ collective wisdom.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby glewz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:42 pm

bdubs wrote:
glewz wrote:
bdubs wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:I don't know how it affects its acceptance rate, but CBS is a rare b-school that has a ED option.


If you have the numbers to get into CLS and the CLS/CBS program is your top choice, I would highly encourage doing ED applications to both schools.

Although this would prevent you from accepting Penn/Wharton, Kelogg/NU Law, or HBS/HLS acceptances if you had them.


Hmm, I think it might be a better decision to not ED because you run the risk of being accepted to a single program (JD or MBA exclusively) and would thereby be compelled to attend without a dual degree.


I don't think you would be compelled to attend, but you could check with them.


Oh I don't mean that OP must attend that specific program. But if OP EDs and is admitted to only CLS for instance (and not CBS), it would be unlikely for OP to pursue a JD/MBA in general.

Unless:
- OP reapplies to CBS, during 1L, after being rejected
- OP attends another business school and applies to that university's LS after bus school's 1st year

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby bdubs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Curry wrote:
bdubs wrote:
fatdouche wrote:No. A JD/MBA who goes into law gets screwed out of jobs against other JD's cause he's a flight risk. Same thing with business jobs. They end up making less in both fields.


Tell that to this guy:
http://www.wlrk.com/Page.cfm/Thread/Att ... 2C%20Leigh

Glad we're taking exceptions to the rule to be the rule now.


I can find you a number of other "exceptions". JD/MBAs from Kellogg, Wharton, and HBS all do pretty well on the job market. I know from talking to current NU/Kellogg students and from LinkedIn/conversations with alumni.

The CLS 3 year program is new, so there are no data on it. Very few people opt for the JD/MBA when it takes 4 years (outside of HLS/HBS).

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby bdubs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:07 pm

glewz wrote:
bdubs wrote:
glewz wrote:
bdubs wrote:If you have the numbers to get into CLS and the CLS/CBS program is your top choice, I would highly encourage doing ED applications to both schools.

Although this would prevent you from accepting Penn/Wharton, Kelogg/NU Law, or HBS/HLS acceptances if you had them.


Hmm, I think it might be a better decision to not ED because you run the risk of being accepted to a single program (JD or MBA exclusively) and would thereby be compelled to attend without a dual degree.


I don't think you would be compelled to attend, but you could check with them.


Oh I don't mean that OP must attend that specific program. But if OP EDs and is admitted to only CLS for instance (and not CBS), it would be unlikely for OP to pursue a JD/MBA in general.

Unless:
- OP reapplies to CBS, during 1L, after being rejected
- OP attends another business school and applies to that university's LS after bus school's 1st year


I think that an applicant who did a joint application (which you can consider them, even though they are evaluated separtely) and who was admitted to only one school, shouldn't be bound to attend that one school over other schools. Obviously the applicant would need to check with the schools first, but it seems unlikely to me that they would enforce the ED requirements for just one of the programs.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: The JD/MBA Program

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:26 pm

fatdouche wrote:
bdubs wrote:
fatdouche wrote:JD MBA's have a lower income potential than just JD's and just MBA's. Pick one.


That is just not true. Perhaps debt adjusted, but raw income potential is as good or better for JD/MBAs at top programs.

ETA: Your username is apt

No. A JD/MBA who goes into law gets screwed out of jobs against other JD's cause he's a flight risk. Same thing with business jobs. They end up making less in both fields.


This is just absolutely not true (at least at top programs). In fact, it's the opposite. I say this (1) from firsthand experience, (2) based on the well over a dozen JD/MBAs I know, almost all of whom did better during law or b school recruiting than their grades/credentials would otherwise predict, and (3) from statistics from career services.

Edit: Not to mention that the idea that a business would see a JD/MBA as a flight risk is pretty ridiculous. I literally have never heard of one example of a JD/MBA leaving business to practice law.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dclaw93, lymenheimer, Sinatra, smile0751, sublime, Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests