Are Law Schools Responsible for Their Graduates' Jobs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DietCoke

Are Law Schools Responsible for Their Graduates' Jobs?

Postby DietCoke » Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 pm

or lack thereof? Not sure where this idea comes from, but I thought law schools give legal education and theoretical training necessary for practice, and the rest is up to the graduates? Law schools do give notice in advance of the cost of tuition and living expenses etc. Even if the schools faked their employment statistics, does this amount to false advertising? (Granted it's morally and possibly legally reprehensible) I have a hard time feeling sympathy for people who invested a huge amount of money knowing the associated risks.

InLikeFlint

Re: Are Law Schools Responsible for Their Graduates' Jobs?

Postby InLikeFlint » Sun May 29, 2011 9:34 pm

DietCoke wrote:or lack thereof? Not sure where this idea comes from, but I thought law schools give legal education and theoretical training necessary for practice, and the rest is up to the graduates? Law schools do give notice in advance of the cost of tuition and living expenses etc. Even if the schools faked their employment statistics, does this amount to false advertising? (Granted it's morally and possibly legally reprehensible) I have a hard time feeling sympathy for people who invested a huge amount of money knowing the associated risks.

yfwgi

DietCoke

Postby DietCoke » Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:
yfwgi

deathly cerious

DietCoke

Postby DietCoke » Sun May 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Everyone knows law schools cost just about the same regardless of USNWR rankings. Everyone also knows the possibilities of getting a biglaw salary to pay off said 6 figure tuition is difficult.

Where's the contradiction/hypocracy on part of the law school? They made a PSA in advance, "We're in the business of selling legal education/diploma. Enter at your own risk."

Enter at your own risk.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun May 29, 2011 9:42 pm

DietCoke wrote:or lack thereof? Not sure where this idea comes from, but I thought law schools give legal education and theoretical training necessary for practice, and the rest is up to the graduates? Law schools do give notice in advance of the cost of tuition and living expenses etc. Even if the schools faked their employment statistics, does this amount to false advertising? (Granted it's morally and possibly legally reprehensible) I have a hard time feeling sympathy for people who invested a huge amount of money knowing the associated risks.

This is the problem. Law schools--all of them--flat out lie about the job prospects their degrees offer. If they provided honest information, people would know the associated risks, and then might act accordingly.

DietCoke

Postby DietCoke » Sun May 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Renzo wrote:

This is the problem. Law schools--all of them--flat out lie about the job prospects their degrees offer. If they provided honest information, people would know the associated risks, and then might act accordingly.

Are you really telling me that 90% of Suffolk Law grads don't find $110k employment after 6 months?

DietCoke

Postby DietCoke » Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Even though I should know better than to take one of these threads seriously, I'll bite:

The simple answer to your question is "no, but..."

The longer answer is that yes, matriculating students should do their homework. Law schools are not temp agencies (well, except Duke and SMU, but SMU's program actually seems to work somewhat, so maybe I shouldn't knock it); they are institutions of education. The primary responsibility falls on the students.

That said, law schools should not be able to hide behind this fact in order to absolve themselves of any responsibility. Graduate employment statistics shouldn't require a decoder ring. For as long as law schools continue to advertise with all the openness and honesty of a 3am diet infomercial - and they might actually be worse, since they don't bother to put the "results not typical" disclaimer on the bottom of the screen - then people will have a reasonable gripe against law schools.

So all in all, law schools prey on sheep and the sheep had it coming. Sounds good to me.

--ImageRemoved--

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:34 pm

I'm unsure if it is possible to misrepresent what he said worse than you just did.

Postby 20121109 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:23 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm unsure if it is possible to misrepresent what he said worse than you just did.

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun May 29, 2011 11:31 pm

DietCoke wrote:Even if the schools faked their employment statistics, does this amount to false advertising? .

This part I do not understand. How is the answer not clearly "Yes, yes it does."?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 12:23 am

I give this troll attempt a 4.8.

You need to be more subtle when you totally misrepresent what someone said; that's how you really sink the hook.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon May 30, 2011 12:41 am

Why do I have the feeling that OP is a TTTTTTT adcomm rep...

http://www.autoinfozone.com/motoring_im ... totbuy.jpg

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:03 am

Lawquacious wrote:Why do I have the feeling that OP is a TTTTTTT adcomm rep...

http://www.autoinfozone.com/motoring_im ... totbuy.jpg

Out of everything I've learned/seen on TLS, the fact that reps from TTT/TTTTs actually come on here to advertise is by far the most amazing. Or maybe they're not actually reps but really good trolls trying to make TTT/TTTTs look even worse than they are.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”