what is the difference between full and part time law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
slippunches

what is the difference between full and part time law school

Postby slippunches » Sun May 29, 2011 4:59 pm

If part time law school is easier to get into and you can work at the same time, why doesnt everyone go the part time route(besides the obvious fact that you are finishing quicker). Is the prestige of a part time law degree lower than a full time one?

ViIIager

Re: what is the difference between full and part time law school

Postby ViIIager » Sun May 29, 2011 5:13 pm

The differences as I see them (as a part-timer myself):

1. Part-timers won't study with you or interact with you outside of class. We've got families and jobs to deal with. Social interaction seems to be a big deal to the day students I see on campus.
2. If you're a part-timer with a job, you have to split your time--and most people fail to do that effectively. Also note that if you get a full-time job, expect that internships/clerkships are out of the question, which pretty much kills chances at a biglaw career (or any law job at all as of late).
3. Law school is a terrible hazing experience, and anyone who wants to be there for four years is a lunatic. Nearly everyone I know in my part-time program is taking summer classes (hey, what's the difference between summer, fall, and spring when you're working every weekday?) to graduate a semester early.

Also, at least at my school, part-timers' jobs pretty much prohibit attendance at networking events and other legal-field-related functions. We're there to pay our tuition to support the day students' quests for 150k jobs while we take our degrees and advance in our existing fields.

DietCoke

Postby DietCoke » Sun May 29, 2011 9:26 pm

slippunches wrote:If part time law school is easier to get into and you can work at the same time, why doesnt everyone go the part time route(besides the obvious fact that you are finishing quicker). Is the prestige of a part time law degree lower than a full time one?

Yes. Part time diplomas are printed on white, standard printing papers from Staples clearly noted, "Part-Time Graduate Lulz" as opposed to those thick, resume papers with no such notation.

Either that or some dads have work during the day.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Mon May 30, 2011 8:11 pm

part time is not necessarily easier to get into despite the lower medians. I was rejected at safety part time programs while accepted with money to full-time target/semi-reach schools.

part time spots are extremely limited and they can have acceptance rates in the single digits

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon May 30, 2011 8:20 pm

HyeMart wrote:part time is not necessarily easier to get into despite the lower medians. I was rejected at safety part time programs while accepted with money to full-time target/semi-reach schools.

part time spots are extremely limited and they can have acceptance rates in the single digits

My school cut their PT program by 50% last year. They want to make PT more exclusive, more tailored to the people who need it. I love the idea that this degree is less prestigious. Maybe if you do it and don't work... but good god- most of us are working (many 40+ hours/wk), have families AND we're going to law school. (Who would CHOOSE to do law school, like this?) Yeah. Employers hate that kind of slacker shit. :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”