Will this get me into harvard?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Will this get me into Harvard?

Postby Paraflam » Tue May 31, 2011 10:47 am

haus wrote:Learning to capitalize Harvard would be a nice step.

haus wrote:I think that it is a matter of showing respect. Personally I would make an effort to capitalize Cooley, as it's graduates are eligible to sit for the bar, and although I have [no?] desire to go there I do not have the negitive feelings towards it that are common here at TLS.

I readily admit my spelling and gramer leave much to be desired, but making an effort to show respect for the institutione I aspire to become a member of seems merely to be good form.


I have never, EVER seen a grammar nazi who is this awful of a speller. LOL

Also, if you aspire to go to law school and become a lawyer, then you also aspire to become a licensed member of the Bar in your respective state, correct? Why are you not showing respect to the Bar Association by capitalizing Bar????????????
Last edited by Paraflam on Tue May 31, 2011 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Will this get me into Harvard?

Postby Kabuo » Tue May 31, 2011 10:54 am

Paraflam wrote:I have never, EVER seen a grammar nazi who is this awful of a speller. LOL

Also, if you aspire to go to law school and become a lawyer, then you also aspire to become a licensed member of the Bar in your respective state, correct? Why are you not showing respect to the Bar Association by capitalizing Bar????????????


I had this same thing all typed up, and then thought it was either heartless or falling for a flame. But in case it's neither, +1.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby haus » Tue May 31, 2011 11:11 am

Paraflam,

I am sorry I was not fast enough to quote you calling me a retard, it added a nice touch to the argument of respect.

My typing on on my phone while on the move did not add much to my dyslexic abilities, but such is life. I suspect respect in general does not mean much to you, but it does to some, as it does to many in the admission committee community. This is not to say that because someone opted to not capitalize the name of the school in a forum posting, that they would do such a thing in correspondence with the school. Few people are in a position that gaining admission into HLS is a layup, if it is your goal, why take even small risk when they can be avoided.

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby Paraflam » Tue May 31, 2011 11:30 am

haus wrote:Paraflam,

I am sorry I was not fast enough to quote you calling me a retard, it added a nice touch to the argument of respect.

My typing on on my phone while on the move did not add much to my dyslexic abilities, but such is life. I suspect respect in general does not mean much to you, but it does to some, as it does to many in the admission committee community. This is not to say that because someone opted to not capitalize the name of the school in a forum posting, that they would do such a thing in correspondence with the school. Few people are in a position that gaining admission into HLS is a layup, if it is your goal, why take even small risk when they can be avoided.


I can't believe how stupid some people are.

Maybe OP was typing on his phone while on the move and has "dyslexic abilities" too? Not capitalizing the name of a school you want to get into on an anonymous message board is not a risk of any kind.

EDIT: I just realized how hilarious the concept of a dyslexic grammar nazi is. Priceless.
Last edited by Paraflam on Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby Moxie » Tue May 31, 2011 11:42 am

Can you all just shut up? :roll:

OP, above average is going to be a bit detrimental to your application, but get an LSAT score above 175 and admission is still possible.

justwondering123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 am

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby justwondering123 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 pm

Moxie wrote:Can you all just shut up? :roll:

OP, above average is going to be a bit detrimental to your application, but get an LSAT score above 175 and admission is still possible.


hey thanks for the answer- im just hoping that my classification will count as a 'superior'

As for haus- I think you need to get out a little, big deal i didn't capitalise harvard. Its not the end of the world. Grow up.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Will this get me into Harvard?

Postby ahduth » Tue May 31, 2011 1:51 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Paraflam wrote:I have never, EVER seen a grammar nazi who is this awful of a speller. LOL

Also, if you aspire to go to law school and become a lawyer, then you also aspire to become a licensed member of the Bar in your respective state, correct? Why are you not showing respect to the Bar Association by capitalizing Bar????????????


I had this same thing all typed up, and then thought it was either heartless or falling for a flame. But in case it's neither, +1.


I think you guys won - he's a legit poster.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 31, 2011 2:21 pm

ahhh summer time on tls.

as long as you remember to capitalize it on your personal statements you are ok. actually if you have the numbers, maybe it's ok anyway.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby ahduth » Tue May 31, 2011 2:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:ahhh summer time on tls.

as long as you remember to capitalize it on your personal statements you are ok. actually if you have the numbers, maybe it's ok anyway.


Things get punchy around here? I didn't join until later on in the cycle. Late enough that I couldn't retake the LSAT in October when TLS told me to, anyhow.

Either way, it's hot and muggy here, and I'm ready to take some internet scalps. Either that or go find somewhere air conditioned.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 31, 2011 2:34 pm

haus wrote:Paraflam,

I am sorry I was not fast enough to quote you calling me a retard, it added a nice touch to the argument of respect.

My typing on on my phone while on the move did not add much to my dyslexic abilities, but such is life. I suspect respect in general does not mean much to you, but it does to some, as it does to many in the admission committee community. This is not to say that because someone opted to not capitalize the name of the school in a forum posting, that they would do such a thing in correspondence with the school. Few people are in a position that gaining admission into HLS is a layup, if it is your goal, why take even small risk when they can be avoided.


Oh, shut up. It's an internet forum, jackass.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 31, 2011 2:39 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:ahhh summer time on tls.

as long as you remember to capitalize it on your personal statements you are ok. actually if you have the numbers, maybe it's ok anyway.


Things get punchy around here? I didn't join until later on in the cycle. Late enough that I couldn't retake the LSAT in October when TLS told me to, anyhow.

Either way, it's hot and muggy here, and I'm ready to take some internet scalps. Either that or go find somewhere air conditioned.


Cycle is winding down except for some WL movements here and there, and new blood won't start until after the June score comes out. So we are at a boring and testy time here. Also people are probably mad they had to come back to work. At least they fixed our air conditioning in the building...

It's time like this that I find NU's AJD appealing because I would only be 2 years from a JD... School needs to start now.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby haus » Tue May 31, 2011 3:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:
haus wrote:Paraflam,

I am sorry I was not fast enough to quote you calling me a retard, it added a nice touch to the argument of respect.

My typing on on my phone while on the move did not add much to my dyslexic abilities, but such is life. I suspect respect in general does not mean much to you, but it does to some, as it does to many in the admission committee community. This is not to say that because someone opted to not capitalize the name of the school in a forum posting, that they would do such a thing in correspondence with the school. Few people are in a position that gaining admission into HLS is a layup, if it is your goal, why take even small risk when they can be avoided.


Oh, shut up. It's an internet forum, jackass.


Very eloquent.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby fatduck » Tue May 31, 2011 3:10 pm

holy fuck this thread got awesome

and lol at using capital letters on the internet

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 31, 2011 3:21 pm

fatduck wrote:holy fuck this thread got awesome

and lol at using capital letters on the internet


Capital letters have been reduced to stylized elements on most social media sites. Twitter is going to destroy our culture and society I tell you. (wasn't that the subject of multiple LSAT passages?)

lightbulb1986
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby lightbulb1986 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:22 pm

haus wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
haus wrote:Paraflam,

I am sorry I was not fast enough to quote you calling me a retard, it added a nice touch to the argument of respect.

My typing on on my phone while on the move did not add much to my dyslexic abilities, but such is life. I suspect respect in general does not mean much to you, but it does to some, as it does to many in the admission committee community. This is not to say that because someone opted to not capitalize the name of the school in a forum posting, that they would do such a thing in correspondence with the school. Few people are in a position that gaining admission into HLS is a layup, if it is your goal, why take even small risk when they can be avoided.


Oh, shut up. It's an internet forum, jackass.


Very eloquent.


lol you're a dweeb.

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby Paraflam » Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 pm

haus wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Oh, shut up. It's an internet forum, jackass.


Very eloquent.


Almost as eloquent as "negitive" and "gramer." You yourself have a way with words, haus.
Last edited by Paraflam on Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby fatduck » Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:holy fuck this thread got awesome

and lol at using capital letters on the internet


Capital letters have been reduced to stylized elements on most social media sites. Twitter is going to destroy our culture and society I tell you. (wasn't that the subject of multiple LSAT passages?)

lol at twitter/social media having any influence on the typing style of my generation

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 31, 2011 3:29 pm

fatduck wrote:lol at twitter/social media having any influence on the typing style of my generation


Why you say that?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby fatduck » Tue May 31, 2011 3:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:lol at twitter/social media having any influence on the typing style of my generation


Why you say that?

because twitter launched in 2006? i'd say the death of capital letters had a lot to do with the rapid typing required for online games (particularly text-based ones like MUDs, but really any game that requires rapid communication), and crowded channels in IRC. instant messaging (AIM/ICQ) probably had some effect, but i'd lump those in with a different type of slang/abbreviation-based communication that most people associate with text messaging, and that isn't really what we're talking about here.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Will this get me into harvard?

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:35 pm

Because this thread is now about grammar and spelling on the interwebz instead of Harvard admission....

Moxie wrote:Can you all just shut up? :roll:




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arm213, Bing [Bot], earldasquirel, rinkrat19 and 10 guests