Advice for 0Ls: submit applications electronically Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JasonCG

New

Advice for 0Ls: submit applications electronically

Post by JasonCG » Sat May 28, 2011 2:43 pm

When I was applying to law schools, I received what I now think to be bad advice, so I thought I would share my experience. One of my mentors suggested that I send my applications in writing. However, I believe you should always apply electronically where the option exists.

The supposed advantage to mailing in applications was that, by printing on bright white paper, and making everything look pristine, it showed added effort, and made the application stand out in a subtle way. Whatever merit that idea holds (probably none, since your materials will get scanned and copied anyways), it is likely washed by the added hassle of paperwork, and the increased probability that someone will miss-handle your application.

Out of all of the applications I mailed, I had issues with 1/3 of them either not reaching the correct person, not getting filed in a timely manner, or some other issue which required my active attention. On the other hand, the schools that only allowed electronic submissions were completely hassle free.

Who knows if the delays in my mailed applications cost me a seat (probably not), but save yourself the mental anguish.

P.S. APPLY EARLY!!! Find out when your desired schools start accepting applications, and get your applications in THAT DAY.

krasivaya

Bronze

Re: Advice for 0Ls: submit applications electronically

Post by krasivaya » Sat May 28, 2011 3:23 pm

tl;dr: The internet is more efficient at everything.

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Sat May 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 28, 2011 5:09 pm

RedShift wrote:One of the pre-law mentors at my school advised everyone to send in paper copies of your transcript 'just in case it causes them to forget to adjust your GPA.' I rolled my eyes, but I think other people are actually going to do it. /shrug
Lol pre-law mentor lol.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat May 28, 2011 5:15 pm

I dunno where the OP went to UG, but listening to "pre-law advisors" at TTT schools like mine can be flat-out dangerous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”