GW Early Decision or other top international law programs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scobryan

GW Early Decision or other top international law programs?

Postby scobryan » Fri May 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on a tough decision I'm trying make as to where to apply to law school.

I was accepted at GULC in the fall of 2009. I deferred for a year, but ultimately decided to withdraw my application because of the huge costs at Georgetown. I'm going to reapply this fall in hopes of landing a scholarship.

Part of my decision to withdraw had to do with learning that GW, which also has a tremendous International Law program, offers a really generous full scholarship to students who commit to a binding application.

My question is this: given my numbers (166/171 LSAT, 3.79 gpa), should I apply binding ED at GW? I feel that I would have a shot (not a great shot, but a decent shot) at getting into ONE of the other top international law programs (Harvard, Columbia, NYU), albeit without the money. Then I would have to make the decision between paying full price at a top school, or a full ride at a less prestigious school. However, if I apply ED at GW, I won't even be able to make that choice, since I will be bound to attending GW. Of course, I'm not at all a lock to even get the full ride at GW, though I think my numbers are competitive.

I'm certain that I want to study international law, specifically human rights law in Latin America. That career path does not entail making a lot of money, so it's really important to me not to be saddled with huge loans. GW has a great International law program, and I would be lucky to get the full ride there. At the same time, I feel like I'm selling myself short by ruling out those top 3 schools altogether.

I may be putting the cart before the horse, but any comments on this dilemma would be greatly appreciated. Would you choose a full ride at GW, or full price at Harvard / NYU / Columbia, knowing that you were going to study international law? Should I just go all out for GW, or apply RD in order that those other schools can be a possibility? I know that GW does offer money RD, but nothing as good as the ED presidential scholarship.

dpk711

Re: GW Early Decision or other top international law programs?

Postby dpk711 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Further, you can't really take the USNWR specialty rankings at face value. Would you really go to NYU over Harvard/Yale or American over Penn just because you're interested in "international law"? I mean, c'mon.

scobryan

Postby scobryan » Fri May 27, 2011 7:21 pm

You're right about taking the rankings with a grain of salt, but my decision isn't NYU over Harvard, or American over Penn. Its whether to pay full price at Harvard/NYU, or take a full ride at GW. The "international law" aspect enters the picture because while GW is a second-tier school with a considerably less prestigious ranking than Harvard/NYU, GW is still considered one of the best international law schools in the country. I'm sure that has a lot to do with being located in DC.

On a separate note, thanks "rad law" for that great article, confirmed a lot of what I've been told about the illusions of international law.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:24 pm

scobryan wrote:You're right about taking the rankings with a grain of salt, but my decision isn't NYU over Harvard, or American over Penn. Its whether to pay full price at Harvard/NYU, or take a full ride at GW. The "international law" aspect enters the picture because while GW is a second-tier school with a considerably less prestigious ranking than Harvard/NYU, GW is still considered one of the best international law schools in the country. I'm sure that has a lot to do with being located in DC.

On a separate note, thanks "rad law" for that great article, confirmed a lot of what I've been told about the illusions of international law.

No matter what kind of law I was interested or what my regional preferences were, I would take Harvard at sticker over GW full ride in a heartbeat.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”