2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scobryan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:23 pm

2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby scobryan » Fri May 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Hello, I have a few questions involving my chances of being admitted to the binding Early Decision program for George Washington in the fall of 2012, and how I should go about applying.

I took the LSAT twice. The first time around, I scored a 166, and the second time, a 171. My undergraduate gpa is 3.79. I also have a MA in English. My stats are competitive, but by no means a lock, especially if you take the average of my LSAT scores. If you take the high score (and GW does state on its website that it gives more weight to the higher score), I feel fairly confident about my chances.

My first question relates to LSN, which I used to gauge my chance of being accepted. Does anyone know if the LSAT numbers posted by users on the site are their high score, or the average score? In my case, it's really important because of the relatively large gap between my scores.

My second question is this. The first time I took the LSAT, I was forced to take it at a school that was a three-hour drive from where I lived. Since I had to be at the testing center by 8 am, I had to leave my apartment by 4 am that morning. Because I had to teach class the night before, it wasn't possible to drive to the location of the testing center the night before the exam. Of course, I was incredibly nervous before the exam to begin with, and the result was that I basically didn't sleep the night before the exam. Do you think I should include this as an addendum on the application to help explain the difference between my two scores? I truly believe it had an impact, but I'm worried that it may actually hurt me if the application readers think I'm looking for excuses.

Thirdly, I applied first to law school in the fall of 2009. I was accepted at Georgetown, but decided to defer for a year. Just a few months ago, after a great deal of thought, I decided that GULC was just too expensive. I don't want to work a corporate law job, and I felt like I would have been forced to in order to be able to pay off the 150,000+ in loans I would have had to take out. Do you think I should include this information on the application to GW, to clarify what I've been doing since I graduated from school a couple of years ago? I'm worried they may see me as a fickle candidate and not trust me with a scholarship, even though I am applying to GW early decision because in large part because I wouldn't be loaded with a mountain of debt upon graduation.

If anyone can speak to my chances of being accepted (the lower they are, the more likely I'll apply to more schools in order to hedge my bets) or weigh in on my questions regarding the application, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

JD2014
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Does anyone know if the LSAT numbers posted by users on the site are their high score, or the average score?


Probably high score, as the use of higher rather than mean score is common. It would probably be impossible to find reliable data on this.

Do you think I should include this as an addendum on the application


No. If you bombed the first time, maybe, but a 166 is respectable. I think addendums are reserved for either bombing or at least a 10 point increase.

Do you think I should include this information on the application to GW, to clarify what I've been doing since I graduated from school a couple of years ago?


Put it in your personal statement. Describing career plans in your PS is not only common, but probably desired.

even though I am applying to GW early decision because in large part because I wouldn't be loaded with a mountain of debt upon graduation.


Does GW ED come with an auto scholarship?

the lower they are, the more likely I'll apply to more schools in order to hedge my bets


The app fees are a small price to pay to hedge your bets. Additionally, with a 3.79/171, you'll get fee waivers.

Also, you say you don't want a Biglaw job. Are you looking to do PI? If so, you should look into schools' LRAP programs, unless you're deadset on GW and DC.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby The Gentleman » Fri May 27, 2011 5:26 pm

scobryan wrote:Does anyone know if the LSAT numbers posted by users on the site are their high score, or the average score?


LSN displays the highest score.

scobryan wrote:Do you think I should include this as an addendum on the application to help explain the difference between my two scores?


Probably not a good idea for a 5 point jump.

scobryan wrote:Do you think I should include this information on the application to GW, to clarify what I've been doing since I graduated from school a couple of years ago?


Not entirely sure. After a certain date schools can see where else an applicant has placed a deposit, but I'm not sure if they can, or for that matter will, look at past cycles to see if an applicant previously deposited at another school. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to call up GWU's admission offce and ask what you should do. The last thing you would want to do is to not disclose something you should have.

But at any rate, GWU ED sounds like a good choice for you. You're not going to be getting any T14 full rides with a 171/3.79 (although you'll probably get some money from MVP on down), so given your aversion to debt, I think you should go for it. Good luck!

scobryan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby scobryan » Fri May 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Thank you for the response, it was really helpful. I should have clarified. Yes, acceptance to GW as an ED candidate does guarantee a full scholarship. It's a great deal. I wasn't really interested in the PI opportunities, at least at GULC. They involved a minimum ten-year commitment to working for the government, which was too much for me.

scobryan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby scobryan » Fri May 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks Gentleman! I'll definitely call GW and just ask them about what to include regarding my past acceptance/deferral, etc.

rapstar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby rapstar » Fri May 27, 2011 5:37 pm

i think you should include the gulc in your personal statement. i think you have an extremely high chance of receiving the full ride. on a side note, i think you are making a great decision. gw's binding early decision is unique in that it offers a full ride. i think that is a great, great idea, and more schools should do it.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:38 pm

scobryan wrote:Thanks Gentleman! I'll definitely call GW and just ask them about what to include regarding my past acceptance/deferral, etc.

i bet you're going to get it. i also don't think a 166 needs an addendum - whatever happened (nerves, bad night sleep, etc.), i'm sure the admissions committee is going to assume that, and probably not pay much attention to it. a 166 is prob good enough to get into gwu with a 3.79, and the 171 should make you good for ED. however, i think with your #'s you would prob get at least a 1/2 scholarship to GT which might make that a better deal.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby The Gentleman » Fri May 27, 2011 5:41 pm

OP this just occurred to me; are there any stips on that GWU full scholarship? This past cycle I was awarded a merit scholarship from GWU with a 3.0 stip. It wasn't the Presidential one they award to ED people, but you should definitely check this out before committing. A 3.0 stip on that ED scholarship would make it a lot less enticing.

rapstar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby rapstar » Fri May 27, 2011 5:44 pm

flexityflex86 wrote: Post subject: Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions Reply with quote
scobryan wrote:
Thanks Gentleman! I'll definitely call GW and just ask them about what to include regarding my past acceptance/deferral, etc.

i bet you're going to get it. i also don't think a 166 needs an addendum - whatever happened (nerves, bad night sleep, etc.), i'm sure the admissions committee is going to assume that, and probably not pay much attention to it. a 166 is prob good enough to get into gwu with a 3.79, and the 171 should make you good for ED. however, i think with your #'s you would prob get at least a 1/2 scholarship to GT which might make that a better dea


i disagree. Gtttown is notoriously stingy with merit money. i had a 171; 3.9 a couple of cycles ago. i drove 8 hours to visit the school and express my interest to the adcoms. i told them i had 20k per year from duke and uva, and then they proceeded to offer me 15k. the vast majority of ppl (according to lsn) get no money from them.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby johnnyutah » Fri May 27, 2011 5:46 pm

(1) Fucking lol at you posting the same question, just without the words "international law."
(2) One thing you might want to consider is that it may be better to have more debt from a school with a better LRAP than less debt from a school without one.

rapstar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby rapstar » Fri May 27, 2011 5:48 pm

The Gentleman wrote:OP this just occurred to me; are there any stips on that GWU full scholarship? This past cycle I was awarded a merit scholarship from GWU with a 3.0 stip. It wasn't the Presidential one they award to ED people, but you should definitely check this out before committing. A 3.0 stip on that ED scholarship would make it a lot less enticing.


+1. I too am unfamiliar with any stipulations that they may have, but you definitely need to ask first. Unless the stipulation just requires you to remain in good academic standing then i would seriously consider applying to other schools

rapstar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby rapstar » Fri May 27, 2011 5:50 pm

johnnyutah wrote:(1) Fucking lol at you posting the same question, just without the words "international law."
(2) One thing you might want to consider is that it may be better to have more debt from a school with a better LRAP than less debt from a school without one.


+1000

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby The Gentleman » Fri May 27, 2011 5:51 pm

rapstar wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote: Post subject: Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions Reply with quote
scobryan wrote:
Thanks Gentleman! I'll definitely call GW and just ask them about what to include regarding my past acceptance/deferral, etc.

i bet you're going to get it. i also don't think a 166 needs an addendum - whatever happened (nerves, bad night sleep, etc.), i'm sure the admissions committee is going to assume that, and probably not pay much attention to it. a 166 is prob good enough to get into gwu with a 3.79, and the 171 should make you good for ED. however, i think with your #'s you would prob get at least a 1/2 scholarship to GT which might make that a better dea


i disagree. Gtttown is notoriously stingy with merit money. i had a 171; 3.9 a couple of cycles ago. i drove 8 hours to visit the school and express my interest to the adcoms. i told them i had 20k per year from duke and uva, and then they proceeded to offer me 15k. the vast majority of ppl (according to lsn) get no money from them.


TITCR. Although GULC somewhat makes up for it by offering pretty decent need-based money. Either way, OP said that he was accepted to GULC and that, had he gone there, it would have left him in 150k or more of debt. Thus, we can assume that they did not, and in a future cycle likely will not, offer him a 1/2 tuition scholarship.

scobryan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby scobryan » Fri May 27, 2011 7:15 pm

I was also offered 15k at GULC. It was fairly generous relative to other schools in the top 14, but as GTOWN budgets some $66,000 annual total expenses, a figure which is only going to rise, I was still looking at 145-150k in loans afterward. That's a ton of debt in this job market.

The two questions I posted are in fact different, though I should have lumped them into one post. My first post was asking about my chances at being accepted in the program, and for advice on the application. The second post (although I may have written it in a confusing way) was meant to ask people whether they thought paying full price at an Ivy league school or getting a full ride at GW was a better idea.

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby coldshoulder » Fri May 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Wtf double post?

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:49 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
rapstar wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote: Post subject: Re: 2012 George Washington (Early Decision) Questions Reply with quote
scobryan wrote:
Thanks Gentleman! I'll definitely call GW and just ask them about what to include regarding my past acceptance/deferral, etc.

i bet you're going to get it. i also don't think a 166 needs an addendum - whatever happened (nerves, bad night sleep, etc.), i'm sure the admissions committee is going to assume that, and probably not pay much attention to it. a 166 is prob good enough to get into gwu with a 3.79, and the 171 should make you good for ED. however, i think with your #'s you would prob get at least a 1/2 scholarship to GT which might make that a better dea


i disagree. Gtttown is notoriously stingy with merit money. i had a 171; 3.9 a couple of cycles ago. i drove 8 hours to visit the school and express my interest to the adcoms. i told them i had 20k per year from duke and uva, and then they proceeded to offer me 15k. the vast majority of ppl (according to lsn) get no money from them.


TITCR. Although GULC somewhat makes up for it by offering pretty decent need-based money. Either way, OP said that he was accepted to GULC and that, had he gone there, it would have left him in 150k or more of debt. Thus, we can assume that they did not, and in a future cycle likely will not, offer him a 1/2 tuition scholarship.

Maybe they took the driving in and expressing of interest to mean they could get away with less?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests