GPA Addendum: Help and Insight Please!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
champ207

GPA Addendum: Help and Insight Please!

Postby champ207 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Hey All:

I need help in figuring out whether or not I should write an addendum in regards to GPA as my situation is rather unique.

First, I am going into my senior year of undergrad and I am taking the June LSAT. I transferred to my current school after my freshman year, where I studied at a university in Montreal, PQ. I was miserable there and didn't do well.

Here are my stats:

Freshman year: 2.51 (2.02 and a 3.0)

Sophomore year: 3.53 (3.06 and a 4.0)

Junior year: 3.93 (3.87 and a 4.0)

As you can see there are profound differences. However, what is kind of pushing me to write an addendum is that my first 3 semesters were 3.0, 2.02, and a 3.06. However, my last 3 were 4.0, 3.87, and a 4.0. I feel as though I need to explain this.

My Montreal GPA is best explained by the fact that my depression was out of control due to being miserable there and due to the fact that I developed insomnia. I really don't know if I want to mention this to Adcoms however, as it could hurt me. Also, to be frank I was lazy, and rededicated myself and it shows because my last 3 semesters I have a GPA of 3.95, and for the most part they are law and upper level classes.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

JD2014

Re: GPA Addendum: Help and Insight Please!

Postby JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Upward trends and addendums can only accomplish so much. It's the numbers that get reported to US News that matter.

You could write a short 2 or 3 sentence addendum indicating that your GPA was dragged down by time unhappily spent at a different college, but they're not going to treat you like you have a 3.95 GPA. At best it will make you preferable over a candidate with the same or similar GPA.

Sample GPA addendum:

“During my freshman year of college, I attended Canada University, where it was cold and gloomy and people's heads flopped around while they talked. I transferred after one year to America College, where my academic performance significantly improved. I believe my performance at America College is more indicative of my academic capabilities, and hope that this can be taken into consideration in the admissions decision.”

The key is to keep it short, don’t sound like you’re making excuses, and don’t be whiny.

gin

Postby gin » Fri May 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Unless you were diagnosed with depression and took medication don't. I didn't like the school won't cut it; besides if you perform well your senior year, you should leave you with a descent enough GPA. My vote goes to the "no" pile btw

champ207

Postby champ207 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks guy.. I agree I really don't want to make excuses or anything like that I just feel like I need to explain it in some way. I really don't think I want to get into explaining my depression because I feel as though that is often used as a scape goat. I just want to explain it and ask them to look at my American grades with greater weight.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:30 pm

When you apply to law school, what you transmit electronically is a PDF file that is between 10 and 15 pages long. It's the application, your personal statement, your resume, and any addendums you attach, whether for C&F reasons or simply because the space in the application is too small to fit all the info they ask. (Like when they ask you to list every job you had in undergrad, then give you two lines, or list every school you're applying to, and leave space for 3.)

If one of those 15 pages says "GPA Addendum" and has a more precise format of what I wrote above ("please note upward grade trend due to removal of environmental factors "), the worst case scenario is that it's ignored. I'd say go for the GPA addendum, just keep is short and to the point.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”