"16. why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
digitalepiphany

Re: "16. why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School

Postby digitalepiphany » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:32 am

Look at the clinics offered, figure out a way to tie one of them into your UG, and write a few sentences about that.
This will, at the least, show them that you've done the bare minimum of research.
It doesn't have to be genuine, just believable.

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:21 am

"Because I love the Ivy League more than life itself."

Ithaca is gorges, especially on the way down.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:25 pm

digitalepiphany wrote:It doesn't have to be genuine, just believable.

If I ever write a book on LS admissions, this will be the title.

digitalepiphany

Postby digitalepiphany » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Glad you liked it.
But, I may have to trademark it now.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:26 am

That's the key. If you can convince them of your sincerity you can convince them of anything.

lsatguy

Postby lsatguy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:57 am

Last edited by lsatguy on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:39 pm

if anyone cares, I ended up saying *paraphrase* how stoked I was to read the On the Hill blogs, and see how student life was at cornell/how many opportunities the authors had. I then said that I'm an avid outdoorsman (truth) who likes camping and fishing, and that Ithaca is way more appealing to me than the city (lie).

TBH, I prefer a city like Seattle or Portland, where the outdoors is nearby, but so is good Korean Barbeque or live music.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:52 pm

daesonesb wrote:if anyone cares, I ended up saying *paraphrase* how stoked I was to read the On the Hill blogs, and see how student life was at cornell/how many opportunities the authors had. I then said that I'm an avid outdoorsman (truth) who likes camping and fishing, and that Ithaca is way more appealing to me than the city (lie).

TBH, I prefer a city like Seattle or Portland, where the outdoors is nearby, but so is good Korean Barbeque or live music.

I think that's probably the most truthful summation yet, which I think can be expanded beyond location to the LS as a whole.

It's a great school that almost anyone would be happy and proud to attend, but it's just not a "#1 choice" type of place.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:19 am

I know I'm a bit of longshot on LSN (but not on LSP), but I wanted to say that if I had unlimited resources, a 180 and a 4.33, I would still choose Cornell. Even if they didn't give me a dollar in scholarship money and all the rest of the T14 gave me full rides. I'm trying to figure out my 3 line response, but I've definitely written a "Why Cornell?" and I just think that it's a matter of preference. I've lived in big cities and can't understand their appeal over a progressive, free-thinking and positively gorgeous place like Cornell. Not to mention the campus, the library, and everything else.

/Cornell-gasm

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:10 am

LOL

I just read over my answer and noticed a typo (although not a blatant one). So if my chance was 75% before, what is it now?

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:23 am

I just put "Safety school :)". Never actually applied though.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:38 am

Am I the only one on here who attached an addendum because I had more to say than 3 lines would provide? I had a lot to say about the location, BR Legal Program, the faculty, and smaller, more intimate environment. I feel like if you've actually done your research and you're passionate about the school they won't mind reading a little more than 3 lines.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:52 am

mhd08 wrote:Am I the only one on here who attached an addendum because I had more to say than 3 lines would provide? I had a lot to say about the location, BR Legal Program, the faculty, and smaller, more intimate environment. I feel like if you've actually done your research and you're passionate about the school they won't mind reading a little more than 3 lines.

I wrote a full-page "Why Cornell?" essay, because I so badly want to go there and I know I'm on track for the waitlist based on numbers alone. Ithaca is so amazing. I applied to their MFA Creative Writing program too, just because if I got into any Cornell graduate program, I think I'd go just to be able to attend and live there for a few years. I could always use my LSAT and GPA later for law in that case ;).

j2d3

Postby j2d3 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:13 am

MURPH wrote:That's the key. If you can convince them of your sincerity you can convince them of anything.

Is this not the most essential skill for a lawyer to have?

Sourpunch

Postby Sourpunch » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:27 am

Its a straightforward question and I mentioned nice stuff on Cornell plus specifics about the international law program.

From the Gothic and Victorian appeal of Cornell's architecture, to the large rare books collection in the law library, Cornell has a strong connection with the past. This, combined with the free-thinking culture of Ithaca, would make for an excellent law school experience.

lol, auto-deny roflmao. That's hilarious! Hopefully you didn't actually write that in...going to Cornell for the architecture..roflmao.

DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T

Postby DEANBIGBROTHERALMI-T » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:09 pm

"b/c i went there for undergrad and loved it."

i might write a one-page addendum, since it truly is my first choice.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Sourpunch wrote:Its a straightforward question and I mentioned nice stuff on Cornell plus specifics about the international law program.

From the Gothic and Victorian appeal of Cornell's architecture, to the large rare books collection in the law library, Cornell has a strong connection with the past. This, combined with the free-thinking culture of Ithaca, would make for an excellent law school experience.

lol, auto-deny roflmao. That's hilarious! Hopefully you didn't actually write that in...going to Cornell for the architecture..roflmao.

Why is that so crazy? You're spending every day in and around the law school, so I think that it's not an unreasonable thing to mention. They know they are an Ivy League, have great job prospects, and a reputation for promoting a good student work-ethic. So pointing out that the architecture of the school is appealing isn't weird at all. Look at the "what's the most beautiful/ugly campus threads" - just shows that people care about that.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:42 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:
Sourpunch wrote:Its a straightforward question and I mentioned nice stuff on Cornell plus specifics about the international law program.

Why is that so crazy? You're spending every day in and around the law school, so I think that it's not an unreasonable thing to mention. They know they are an Ivy League, have great job prospects, and a reputation for promoting a good student work-ethic. So pointing out that the architecture of the school is appealing isn't weird at all. Look at the "what's the most beautiful/ugly campus threads" - just shows that people care about that.

Campus aesthetics is one of those things--like lay prestige and the weather--that shouldn't be a decisive factor in your decisions but is a great bonus to have.

Of course, I wouldn't personally put anything lay prestige-related for that question; seems kinda shallow. And no one likes the weather in Ithaca.

BenJ

Re:

Postby BenJ » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:35 pm

jayjayjay wrote:Why? Because Ithaca is gorges.

I bet anyone who puts this on their app gets an auto-admit for chutzpah. In fact, now I'm tempted to apply to Cornell just for giggles.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:42 pm

I read that architecture and rare books one to my roomate the day I wrote it, and he laughed so hard he spit out his food. He thought I was kidding. It's understandable... I was late in the term trying to pound through all my apps while finishing assignments, and I had no creativity or perspective left on the app process.

Reading that response now my brain is well rested, it's effing horrible. The one I went with was at least respectably mediocre.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 am

daesonesb wrote:if anyone cares, I ended up saying *paraphrase* how stoked I was to read the On the Hill blogs, and see how student life was at cornell/how many opportunities the authors had. I then said that I'm an avid outdoorsman (truth) who likes camping and fishing, and that Ithaca is way more appealing to me than the city (lie).

<-- From Portland: There's actually a good korean BBQ place just a few blocks away from the lawschool... (better than anything I found in Portland anyway). Can't compete on the live music end, although Rogue Wave did a free concert on campus in the fall.

como

Postby como » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:45 am

Speaking to the architecture, it is beautiful and inspiring when your spirits are high, but it looks like a dungeon when your spirits are low.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:44 pm

I attached a 2-paragraph "Why Cornell" because they have a specific program that I'm completely obsessd with and would kill to get into. Here's hopng it helps...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:06 pm

MURPH wrote:I'll bet anything that the biggest jerk in your class next year has a beautiful application with a PS that would bring tears to your eyes.

This is me.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:45 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:

<-- From Portland: There's actually a good korean BBQ place just a few blocks away from the lawschool... (better than anything I found in Portland anyway). Can't compete on the live music end, although Rogue Wave did a free concert on campus in the fall.

How do you find the town stacks up in comparison to the pacNW?
More uptight? Less? Given you're from portland, I'm assuming you've seen some of the surrounding area, do many 1L's you know take advantage of that (like going camping on weekends) or is the general consensus that weekends are for drinking and studying?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”