"16. why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cyln

New

"16. why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School

Post by cyln » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:06 pm

for those of you who have already applied; did you limit your response to the three lines provided on the app. form or attached an additional "why Cornell Law"sort of essay?

M51

Bronze

Post by M51 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:36 pm

I wrote one extremely generic sentence that I proofread 5 times to make sure I didn't spell anything wrong. I'm pretty sure that quesiton can only hurt you and not help since they give you all of 2.5 lines to answer it.

My PS was not about "Why Cornell"

jayjayjay

New

Post by jayjayjay » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:26 pm

Why? Because Ithaca is gorges.

roman

New

Post by roman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:40 pm

Last edited by roman on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paradox1600

New

Post by paradox1600 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:56 pm

certain schools, specifically columbia, are known for the weight they give to that small section.
I just looked over my Columbia app again, and didn't find any section that asked why I wanted to apply to Columbia. Am I overlooking something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:00 pm

I did limit it to the space they provided, but I mentioned specific courses and clinics that excite me. I also mentioned that I love the cold; here's hoping they don't think I'm belittling the importance of that question.

roman

New

Post by roman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:09 pm

Last edited by roman on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paradox1600

New

Post by paradox1600 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:17 pm

No problem--you made me panic a bit there!

Katkins

New

Post by Katkins » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:25 am

I used the 3 lines provided. BSed a bit about how desperately I wanted to be in Ithaca and study at Cornell's fine-ass institution. /shrug. I figured, if I ended up going there, it'd be true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:11 am

A big part of why you want to go to school is the city. After all, I think UCLA is the best school in the LA region, right? So if you have your mind set on LA, you might as well take some scholarship money and go to UCLA over Boalt or Stanford even.

But how are you supposed to know this already? Be a world traveler? Who has the time and money? How can I sample LA, San Fran, Boston, Chicago, etc?

Katkins

New

Post by Katkins » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:39 am

You can be interested in a city without ever having been there

iceman

New

Post by iceman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:45 am

/shrug. I figured, if I ended up going there, it'd be true.
LOL....love this logic. You are a fine lawyer already.

daesonesb

Bronze

Re: "16. why have you chosen to apply to Cornell Law School

Post by daesonesb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:57 am

Here's my three line plea:
From the Gothic and Victorian appeal of Cornell's architecture, to the large rare books collection in the law library, Cornell has a strong connection with the past. This, combined with the free-thinking culture of Ithaca, would make for an excellent law school experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 am

I worried about this for a while, but I ultimately decided that it was best to just follow their instructions. If they'd wanted a "Why Cornell" essay, they would've asked for it.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:51 am

M51 wrote:I'm pretty sure that quesiton can only hurt you and not help since they give you all of 2.5 lines to answer it.
This is flat-out wrong... and you misspelled "question"!

It all depends on what you write. If your answer is something like "Because I love the Cornell tradition and the library is big and I want to help people and I love Ithica and I really wanna go to Cornell", then don't expect that to help at all.

If your answer is "Because my father is on the Board of Trustees", then I'm thinkin' you just moved your app to the auto-admit pile.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:41 am

flcath wrote:
M51 wrote:I'm pretty sure that quesiton can only hurt you and not help since they give you all of 2.5 lines to answer it.

It all depends on what you write. If your answer is something like "Because I love the Cornell tradition and the library is big and I want to help people and I love Ithica and I really wanna go to Cornell", then don't expect that to help at all.

If your answer is "Because my father is on the Board of Trustees", then I'm thinkin' you just moved your app to the auto-admit pile.

I know for a fact my answer isn't helping, lol. It's a steaming pile of horse manure.

That said, I didn't want to say the real reason, which is:

"I would like to attend Cornell because it is T-14 but has a low median LSAT score. I will suck up all the boredom and coldness of life in the middle of nowhere for this opportunity."

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:46 am

I took this very seriously. I didn't submit a why app, because I figured--if they wanted one, they wouldn't have given us a three-line box. Mine said, and this is a paraphrase:

"Cornell is my dream school. The focus of my undergraduate political science degree has been on the subject of Genocide, and Cornell offers an International Human Rights law clinic. No other school in the country offers a simmilar program that can provide it's students with such practical experience in the field".

The "Cornell is my dream school." first line, is a direct quote. I considered it somewhat risky, but what the hell, its true.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:55 am

Cupidity wrote:I took this very seriously. I didn't submit a why app, because I figured--if they wanted one, they wouldn't have given us a three-line box. Mine said, and this is a paraphrase:

"Cornell is my dream school. The focus of my undergraduate political science degree has been on the subject of Genocide, and Cornell offers an International Human Rights law clinic. No other school in the country offers a simmilar program that can provide it's students with such practical experience in the field".

The "Cornell is my dream school." first line, is a direct quote. I considered it somewhat risky, but what the hell, its true.

They also have the original Nuremberg trial documents in the library. Shoulda put that in there.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:57 am

daesonesb wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I took this very seriously. I didn't submit a why app, because I figured--if they wanted one, they wouldn't have given us a three-line box. Mine said, and this is a paraphrase:

They also have the original Nuremberg trial documents in the library. Shoulda put that in there.
I think I just drooled a little.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:13 am

daesonesb wrote:
flcath wrote:

I know for a fact my answer isn't helping, lol. It's a steaming pile of horse manure.

"I would like to attend Cornell because it is T-14 but has a low median LSAT score. I will suck up all the boredom and coldness of life in the middle of nowhere for this opportunity."
Hahaha. This is the ultimate "funny because it's true" line.

I mean, obviously you shouldn't put that, but I feel like the Cornell adcomms would at least appreciate the honesty. They must know that that's why most people are applying to Cornell. They should redesign the Cornell Law School coat of arms to incorporate the motto (in Latin, if possible) "safety of the T14".

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:17 am

flcath wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
flcath wrote:

Hahaha. This is the ultimate "funny because it's true" line.

I mean, obviously you shouldn't put that, but I feel like the Cornell adcomms would at least appreciate the honesty. They must know that that's why most people are applying to Cornell. They should redesign the Cornell Law School coat of arms to incorporate the motto (in Latin, if possible) "safety of the T14".

tutus locus of altissimus quattuordecim

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:35 am

Here's where I'm at now. I am half assing this while watching Youtube videos and trying to write my secondary U Michigan Essay. God, I would go to ann arbor over Cornell in a heartbeat.

Anyway:

Cornell's connection with the past and strong sense of tradition makes it unlike the other law schools I am applying to, most of which are fairly new West Coast schools. I'd be saddened to lose my East Coast roots, and that makes Cornell a top choice for me.

And I'm spent.

voice of reason

Bronze

Post by voice of reason » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:41 am

Excellent answer (except for the apostrophe).

voice of reason

Bronze

Re:

Post by voice of reason » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:46 am

2.5 lines is plenty for the truth. "Because I may not get in to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, Penn, Michigan, Duke, Virginia, or Northwestern, and I don't know if I want Georgetown."

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:47 am

daesonesb wrote:Here's where I'm at now. I am half assing this while watching Youtube videos and trying to write my secondary U Michigan Essay. God, I would go to ann arbor over Cornell in a heartbeat.

Anyway:

Cornell's connection with the past and strong sense of tradition makes it unlike the other law schools I am applying to, most of which are fairly new West Coast schools. I'd be saddened to lose my East Coast roots, and that makes Cornell a top choice for me.

And I'm spent.
That's horrible. I mean, I wouldn't think it would go so far as to hurt you (I doubt they'd do more than just read past it quickly), but since this thread is dedicated to this one question, I gotta tell you: that's truly awful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”