LOR from military commander?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lmao Zedong

LOR from military commander?

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri May 27, 2011 3:24 am

i'm currently serving in the military (the israeli one specifically, though i'm not sure whether that's relevant to this particular question), and i plan to apply this fall to enter law school in fall 2012 after discharge from the army. i want to start planning my applications early since i have almost zero free time - and as i start to try to line up my LORs i'd like to know if it's reasonable to ask my commander to write one for me. i'll have a couple from my professors in college, but i also think my squad commander (who commands me and a dozen other soldiers and thus knows me very well) could write me a strong letter, and do so from a perspective dramatically different from that of a professor. i know applications ask for letters from academic or professional sources - would this be considered an appropriate source for an LOR?

edit: his english is excellent and he'd be more than capable of writing a letter well in english, so this part is not a concern

Re: LOR from military commander?

Postby sccjnthn » Fri May 27, 2011 3:58 am

I used one and was able to get into my top choice school.

Postby ahduth » Fri May 27, 2011 8:23 am

Yes. They supervised you, they're in.

Postby jarv1506 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:11 am

I had my commander write one and I think it really helped my cycle. Definitely do it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”