Post-High School Gap disclosure

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wade LeBosh

Post-High School Gap disclosure

Postby Wade LeBosh » Thu May 26, 2011 10:38 pm

After I graduated high school I moved to a major city in Europe to live with a friend and experience the music scene (I'm a jazz player). I hung out around Europe for a while (about a year) then moved back home to the states to save money so I could start school. Do I still need to disclose this even though I returned before starting any college courses? I'm a music major but I'm afraid it will look bad that I took two years to play around before starting college.
If it does need to be disclosed, how would I want to present it so it doesn't look like I was just lazy for 2 years? Thanks.

Re: Post-High School Gap disclosure

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 pm

I wouldn't automatically assume it's something that needs to be apologized for and explained away in an addendum. Not everyone is ready for college right after high school. Some people make a conscious choice to delay it, or just don't realize until later that college was the right path.

Work it into your PS as a positive influence. Find something you can talk about learning during your time there, or find an experience from those years that influenced/reinforced your later decision to go to college. Presumably you matured during those two years.

Postby Corwin » Thu May 26, 2011 11:16 pm

Gap years are pretty common and I don't think two looks that bad. You could certainly write an addendum, but I'm not experienced enough to know what effect that will have. Hell, you could even turn that experience into a heck of a personal statement.

Postby WayBryson » Thu May 26, 2011 11:47 pm

You spent two years living abroad and you don't want to talk about that in your application? I agree with the poster above, you should rethink some of your assumptions. Honestly, it sounds like you will have more explaining regarding why you are interested in the law after getting a music degree than explaining why you wanted to go check out Europe and otherwise build up your awesome creds after high school.

For the record, I took a year off in the middle of my undergrad to work construction because I was broke. I also had a year where I did little more than go hiking and make lattes before starting my current job--this looked like a gap year because I had postponed my graduation. All of that went into my application. Some of it in addenda and a lot of it worked into my personal statement, which is under the example thread if you want to take a look.

166/168 LSAT
I decided to attend Vanderbilt with 70k in money :-D

Good luck with the applications.

Postby tea_drinker » Fri May 27, 2011 12:58 am

A lot of good advice have been given already. My two cents is I wouldn't disclose if I don't have to. If you do, just say you want to explore the world or want to learn something new. But keep that short in your addendum. I wouldn't want to write about it in my PS unless I plan on going into music/entertainment law.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”