Do recommenders get to know what school I finally chose ? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
temporarydlapf

New

Do recommenders get to know what school I finally chose ?

Post by temporarydlapf » Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 am

Hello guys. I was just curious about this and didn't have an answer to this question.

Do recommenders get to know (either from law schools or LSAC) what schools I got admission from and which school
I finally chose to attend ?

Also, after I decides a school from among many schools from which I got admissions, does school that I finally choose to attend send emails to recommenders saying something like "your letters provided us with valuable insights about the student in deciding to accept the student".

or the recommenders would have no idea about which school I got in and ultimately chose to go, unless I personally tell them ?

Just curious. does anyone know ?

NCtoDC

Silver

Re: Do recommenders get to know what school I finally chose ?

Post by NCtoDC » Thu May 26, 2011 8:59 am

temporarydlapf wrote:Hello guys. I was just curious about this and didn't have an answer to this question.

Do recommenders get to know (either from law schools or LSAC) what schools I got admission from and which school
I finally chose to attend ?

Also, after I decides a school from among many schools from which I got admissions, does school that I finally choose to attend send emails to recommenders saying something like "your letters provided us with valuable insights about the student in deciding to accept the student".

or the recommenders would have no idea about which school I got in and ultimately chose to go, unless I personally tell them ?

Just curious. does anyone know ?
They only know if you tell them. LSAC does not correspond with your recommenders. Many people will send a thank you card telling where you will be going and small gift to their recommenders.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Thu May 26, 2011 9:09 am

No. LSAC will not inform your recommenders which school(s) you send deposits to. But IMHO, you owe them the common courtesy of a small gift or a thank you card. They spent the time and effort to write you a letter, so the least you can do is acknowledge their work.

temporarydlapf

New

Post by temporarydlapf » Thu May 26, 2011 9:16 am

what about from the school I finally decide to attend? I thought it would be natural for law schools to send an email to successful applicants' recommenders (not necessarily all applicants' recommenders, cos there are too many).

IF that's no, then they would never know unless I tell them?

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu May 26, 2011 9:25 am

temporarydlapf wrote:what about from the school I finally decide to attend? I thought it would be natural for law schools to send an email to successful applicants' recommenders (not necessarily all applicants' recommenders, cos there are too many).

IF that's no, then they would never know unless I tell them?
This.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Thu May 26, 2011 9:26 am

I've never heard of a school informing recommenders that a student plans to matriculate. But why don't you want your LOR writers to know which school you're attending? If they really wanted to know, they'd just check your Facebook.

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Thu May 26, 2011 10:08 am

Telling your recommenders yourself is the right thing to do. They stuck their neck out for you, why wouldn't you tell them yourself what they did it for? Your law school is not interested in communicating with recommenders, and even if they did want them in the loop they would rightfully assume that you have the maturity level to communicate with these people yourself.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:10 am

I kept my recommenders updated on my cycle throughout and once I picked a school informed them, wrote them thank you notes and got them gifts. If you don't want someone to know where you're going to school, then they shouldn't have been recommending you in the first place.

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Thu May 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Dam now I feel bad for not sending them at least a small gift.
You should at the very least tell them where you will end up going. I personally kept them updated and I'm still in touch with them

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu May 26, 2011 1:56 pm

Schools have your recommender's contact info and may send them something.

GULC sent a cryptic e-mail to my recommenders told them I got in without telling them explicitly, it was awkward because I was waiting to tell them until I heard back from a few more schools.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:00 pm

bdubs wrote:Schools have your recommender's contact info and may send them something.

GULC sent a cryptic e-mail to my recommenders told them I got in without telling them explicitly, it was awkward because I was waiting to tell them until I heard back from a few more schools.
GULC's the only school I've heard do that. They did the same for my friend. They said like "thanks for your helpful evaluation, be sure to tell X congratulations sometime in the near future"

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu May 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:Schools have your recommender's contact info and may send them something.

GULC's the only school I've heard do that. They did the same for my friend. They said like "thanks for your helpful evaluation, be sure to tell X congratulations sometime in the near future"
GULC are snots for doing that. Nice try Georgetown.

This reminded me I need to thank my recommenders. Thanks OP!

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Thu May 26, 2011 3:40 pm

If that's true that is stepping over the line IMHO. Could be an attempt to influence you to pick GULC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu May 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Corwin wrote:

If that's true that is stepping over the line IMHO. Could be an attempt to influence you to pick GULC.
I thought so too, although I never contacted GULC about it to complain.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Corwin wrote:

Stepping over what line? This game has rules?

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 pm

one of my profs said that Duke sent her an e-mail just thanking her for her letter, not indicated either way if I got in (although I am now matriculating to Duke). Not sure exactly when it was sent but it must have been before I sent my deposit. She also told me thats the first time she has ever received a thank you note like that from a school.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon May 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon May 30, 2011 1:46 pm

gin wrote:Dam now I feel bad for not sending them at least a small gift.
You should at the very least tell them where you will end up going. I personally kept them updated and I'm still in touch with them
gifts for recommenders is incredibly tacky
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon May 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Borhas wrote:
gifts for recommender's is incredibly tacky
Just like thank you cards and christmas/end of the year presents for teachers.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon May 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Borhas wrote:
So are blanket statements. Everyone has different relationships with their various letter writers.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon May 30, 2011 4:17 pm

The Gentleman wrote:No. LSAC will not inform your recommenders which school(s) you send deposits to. But IMHO, you owe them the common courtesy of a small gift or a thank you card. They spent the time and effort to write you a letter, so the least you can do is acknowledge their work.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Mon May 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Borhas wrote:
If you actually know the people who are recommending you well, not so much. The people who have written me recommendations in the past have been professors and colleagues that I have worked closely with for multiple years. A gift really isn't tacky, considering it takes hours to prepare a top of the line recommendation. Indeed, not sending a gift or a card in that type of situation is the action that is in bad taste.

Of course, if you aren't friends with your recommenders and/or you don't know them well, yes a gift would be weird.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”