Typical BigLaw Career Progression- What Happens?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
t14wannabe

Typical BigLaw Career Progression- What Happens?

Postby t14wannabe » Thu May 26, 2011 3:50 am

I'm kind of confused as to what happens in the BigLaw system. I see the lockstep salaries but what happens when associates have been there for 6, 8, 10 years. Some make partner but what happens to those that don't? Do they keep making the same salary that they made as a Xth year associate and continue being associates or take on a separate title? Are they blatantly told they won't make partner and therefore seek other options elsewhere?

Also, roughly what % of associates that stay with a BigLaw firm actually make partner?

TTH

Re: Typical BigLaw Career Progression- What Happens?

Postby TTH » Thu May 26, 2011 10:19 am

t14wannabe wrote:I'm kind of confused as to what happens in the BigLaw system. I see the lockstep salaries but what happens when associates have been there for 6, 8, 10 years. Some make partner but what happens to those that don't? Do they keep making the same salary that they made as a Xth year associate and continue being associates or take on a separate title? Are they blatantly told they won't make partner and therefore seek other options elsewhere?

Also, roughly what % of associates that stay with a BigLaw firm actually make partner?

They get pushed out the door, usually well before they've been there that long. As far as exit options go, it depends on the firm and the associate's reputation. Typical options are boutiques, in-house, government, other (perhaps less prestigious) firms, etc.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu May 26, 2011 10:28 am

t14wannabe wrote:Also, roughly what % of associates that stay with a BigLaw firm actually make partner?

Depends on the firm. Research this before OCI.

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Thu May 26, 2011 11:15 am

If you're doing high level transactional work you may look into financial positions / ibanking

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”