UG Junior- should i sumbit a LOR now or later?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gon09009

UG Junior- should i sumbit a LOR now or later?

Postby gon09009 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm super good friend's with one of the dean's of USC and he has agreed to write a LOR for me. I won't be taking the LSAT until Oct 2012 because after I graduate I want some time off from nonstop school, 3 jobs, LSAT study time, etc. Should I have him write and submit the letter now or wait until next year?

Also, this fall I'll be doing a internship in a congressional office in D.C. and want them to write me a LOR also. Plus, I'm a T.A. (want my prof. to write one) and I have another super great friend that wants to write one for me (he used to work for the U.S. government in a high position). How should I go about this?

I want to preview the LOR to see if they can be perfected (by some English professors that have agreed to look at them) before being submitted, in order to chose the best ones. How do I go about doing this?

I haven't made an account with the LSAC, should I make one now? Does it cost money?

Thanks!!!

JD2014

Re: UG Junior- should i sumbit a LOR now or later?

Postby JD2014 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 pm

An LSAC account is free, but Credential Assembly Service, which handles LORs and transcripts, costs about $140. I believe a purchase is good for one year, so if you buy it now, you would need to renew it next summer. App fees, LSAC fees and CAS fees really add up, so don't create an account until 2012 so you only have to do it once.

I don't think LORs are a huge factor, but it might not hurt to have the dean write the letter now, but submit it in 2012, dated for that year. I doubt it matters though.

Are you really going to ask a team of English professors to proofread your LORs? Even in the legal industry, that seems excessive.

Just pour all this enthusiasm into LSAT prep.

gon09009

Postby gon09009 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks for the advice; I'll just do that.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Wed May 25, 2011 3:49 pm

I thought LoR's submitted to LSAC were good for five years?

Still unclear about this :S

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed May 25, 2011 3:58 pm

krasivaya wrote:I thought LoR's submitted to LSAC were good for five years?

Still unclear about this :S

This is correct. The CAS account is good for 5 years, so there is no drawback to making an account and paying now. You can have all 4 written now and submitted to CAS and leave them on file. You should really only send 2 (maybe 3) when you're first applying.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed May 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Yes, the account (and your recommendations) would be good for five years.

When you ask for the letter of recommendation, you also submit a form where you sign that you waive your right to see it. Of course, you could choose not to waive your right. And if your recommenders let your see and edit the letters, I suppose that wouldn't be violating any ethical rules. But it is presumed that you haven't seen or edited the LORs.

And while it's wonderful to have people in high positions that can speak to your character, work ethic, etc., your LORs are supposed to be primarily academic if you're still in school/a recent grad. It doesn't hurt to have extra if you can target them or send them later with a LOCI.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”