Dual Degree UChicago

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Joeshan520

Dual Degree UChicago

Postby Joeshan520 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:54 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was recently admitted to the Harris School at Chicago and I was wondering what LSAT score would secure admittance to the law school? I'd like to do the two programs in conjunction with one another. I graduated undergrad with a 3.58 and I'm not a URM. I have nothing to do but study for the October test date so having a ballpark scoring range for ED admittance to Chicago would really motivate my studies.

Thanks!

coldshoulder

Re: Dual Degree UChicago

Postby coldshoulder » Tue May 24, 2011 7:05 pm

High 170's

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue May 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Joeshan520 wrote:Hello Everyone,

I was recently admitted to the Harris School at Chicago and I was wondering what LSAT score would secure admittance to the law school? I'd like to do the two programs in conjunction with one another. I graduated undergrad with a 3.58 and I'm not a URM. I have nothing to do but study for the October test date so having a ballpark scoring range for ED admittance to Chicago would really motivate my studies.

Thanks!

Shoot for a perfect score. Id say a good PS about the reasons you like U of C, as well as a 170 with an ED give you a good shot.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Tue May 24, 2011 10:30 pm

off topic question: is there a 'lsac.com' for graduate addmissions, or do you send your applications to the schools your self

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed May 25, 2011 12:41 am

TaipeiMort wrote:

Thanks!

Shoot for a perfect score. Id say a good PS about the reasons you like U of C, as well as a 170 with an ED give you a good shot.

Unless already being accepted to a different graduate school at the university gives you an appreciable boost that I am unaware of, the part of a 170 LSAT score giving OP a good shot is misinformed.

Simply look at LSN for this past cycle.
- An applicant with a 170/3.7 was rejected with an ED application
- An applicant with a 171/3.7 was WL with an ED application

If the upcoming cycle resembles this cycle even slightly, U of C appears to have upped its admissions standards, including becoming more strict with ED applicants as compared to previous cycles.

I would say OP needs 172+ on the LSAT to give him/her a good shot at being accepted into the law school.

Best of luck.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

Thanks!

Unless already being accepted to a different graduate school at the university gives you an appreciable boost that I am unaware of, the part of a 170 LSAT score giving OP a good shot is misinformed.

Simply look at LSN for this past cycle.
- An applicant with a 170/3.7 was rejected with an ED application
- An applicant with a 171/3.7 was WL with an ED application

If the upcoming cycle resembles this cycle even slightly, U of C appears to have upped its admissions standards, including becoming more strict with ED applicants as compared to previous cycles.

I would say OP needs 172+ on the LSAT to give him/her a good shot any shot at being accepted into the law school.

Best of luck.

FTFY

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 am

You're so kind. :)

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:55 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:You're so kind. :)

Just trying to keep things realistic :D

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:54 am

[/quote]

Anyone know if that helps?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Joeshan520 wrote:Unless already being accepted to a different graduate school at the university gives you an appreciable boost that I am unaware of, the part of a 170 LSAT score giving OP a good shot is misinformed.

Anyone know if that helps?[/quote]

It only helps to a point because the ED already binds you. OP don't stress. Kill the LSAT. Earn your way in-- you won't regret it. Also, I do know of a couple 168 EDs. But don't aim to sneak in, aim to earn it.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed May 25, 2011 1:38 pm

168 ED will not get you in (I EDed with 168/3.9+ and was flat rejected).

Go to LSN and view applicants that received admissions to U of C with a LSAT of 168 or less and exclude URMs.

As I noted earlier, this past cycle U of C appeared to up its admission standards. If the same holds true this upcoming cycle, you need a 172+ to have a chance with ED (and the higher the LSAT score the better).

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:50 pm

As someone who got into Columbia and NYU but waitlisted at UChi with a 3.86/174 (my softs weren't bad and neither was my undergrad) I can say there are no guarantees with CCN.

That said coming from UChi I think they will recognize their undergrad is rigorous and thats not a bad GPA - shoot for a 180 (no points are ever wasted - they help with scholarship $ if they exceed what you need for admission) but if you get 172 I think you have a very good shot ED...if you break 174 or 5 I wouldn't even ED.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 pm

jtemp320 wrote:hat said coming from UChi I think they will recognize their undergrad is rigorous and thats not a bad GPA

RC fail. OP has been accepted to a different graduate school at UChi. No where in any of his posts has he indicated that he attended UChi undergrad.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 25, 2011 9:09 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:168 ED will not get you in (I EDed with 168/3.9+ and was flat rejected).

Go to LSN and view applicants that received admissions to U of C with a LSAT of 168 or less and exclude URMs.

As I noted earlier, this past cycle U of C appeared to up its admission standards. If the same holds true this upcoming cycle, you need a 172+ to have a chance with ED (and the higher the LSAT score the better).

I know two people from my class who got in with 168 EDs. If Chicago wants you for some special reason, they will take you. That being said, pretty much everyone in my class had amazing softs, and I think an under 170 admit has to be special. I would say 171 for women and 172 for men with your GPA, dual degree effect, and and an ED has a good shot (but I'm not Dean Perry).

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Thu May 26, 2011 1:16 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:168 ED will not get you in (I EDed with 168/3.9+ and was flat rejected).

I know two people from my class who got in with 168 EDs. If Chicago wants you for some special reason, they will take you. That being said, pretty much everyone in my class had amazing softs, and I think an under 170 admit has to be special. I would say 171 for women and 172 for men with your GPA, dual degree effect, and and an ED has a good shot (but I'm not Dean Perry).

+1. I was WL'ed with a 167 sub-3.8 (non-URM). I don't think I'll end up getting in (of course I hope more than anything), but I do think U of C values more than your numbers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”