Legal Studies in Business: Bad choice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which of the 3 is the best?

Legal Studies in Business
6%
Legal Studies in Business/Marketing
6%
English/Business Management
89%

Total votes: 18

jamaal.willis11

Legal Studies in Business: Bad choice?

Postby jamaal.willis11 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:51 pm

My girlfriend is at the point where she is picking her college major and she is 100% sure she wants to attend law school after graduation. Her three options are:

1) major: Legal Studies in Business, minor: Art History
2) major: Legal Studies in Business and Marketing
3) major: English and Business Management

I know, in general, law schools could care less about your major but would something like "Legal Studies in Business" be looked down upon? She is doing very well after two years ~ 3.85 GPA and she is already preparing for the LSAT. Assuming she could get the same GPA in all three options, which would be the best both for admissions and for performance once she's in law school.

Thanks for any input that you all can offer!

Note: She is interested in corporate law if that makes any difference.

bdubs

Re: Legal Studies in Business: Bad choice?

Postby bdubs » Tue May 24, 2011 3:54 pm

None of the above, but if i had to pick I would say 3.

jamaal.willis11

Postby jamaal.willis11 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 pm

bdubs wrote:None of the above, but if i had to pick I would say 3.

May I ask why? I'm not very familiar with law school admissions (hence why I joined this board) so I'm just curious.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 pm

jamaal.willis11 wrote:My girlfriend is at the point where she is picking her college major and she is 100% sure she wants to attend law school after graduation. Her three options are:

1) major: Legal Studies in Business, minor: Art History
2) major: Legal Studies in Business and Marketing
3) major: English and Business Management

I know, in general, law schools could care less about your major but would something like "Legal Studies in Business" be looked down upon? She is doing very well after two years ~ 3.85 GPA and she is already preparing for the LSAT. Assuming she could get the same GPA in all three options, which would be the best both for admissions and for performance once she's in law school.

Thanks for any input that you all can offer!

Note: She is interested in corporate law if that makes any difference.

But she should get an accounting degree. It'll be a good backup plan if she shits the bed and gets a 165 or something low like that.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Tue May 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

But she should get an accounting degree. It'll be a good backup plan if she shits the bed and gets a 165 or something low like that.

I thought 165 was such a good score before I started reading this site. Seriously though, accounting. 1 doesn't seem to have any marketability and I personally view a Bus. Management degree as someone saying "I don't know what I want to do, so I will be a manager." Maybe this is because of the idiots in that major at my school, but she should do something that she is interested in and has some actual use. Also take fun GPA boosters like rock climbing.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue May 24, 2011 4:54 pm

jamaal.willis11 wrote:
bdubs wrote:None of the above, but if i had to pick I would say 3.

May I ask why? I'm not very familiar with law school admissions (hence why I joined this board) so I'm just curious.

Anna Ivey (former admissions director at Chicago) said that they have a slight bias towards liberal arts majors that emphasize writing, English is an obvious example. Second reason, as posters above have noted Legal Studies in Business is not a marketable degree while english and business double major **could** be, but there are far better choices not on your list.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:00 pm

None, major in something that could get you a job if law school falls through.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Tue May 24, 2011 5:02 pm

English. At least it would help for quicker reading comprehension/writing, which would make things a little easier in Law school (and on the LSAT).
I'd recommend a Business Minor too, just because the core business courses are pretty useful.

The ideal majors for overall employability in Business Law IMO would be Computer Science or Finance (or Accounting, but I detest accounting compared to Finance).

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue May 24, 2011 5:04 pm

aliarrow wrote:English. At least it would help for quicker reading comprehension/writing, which would make things a little easier in Law school (and on the LSAT).
I'd recommend a Business Minor too, just because the core business courses are pretty useful.

The ideal majors for overall employability in Business Law IMO would be Computer Science or Finance (or Accounting, but I detest accounting compared to Finance).

LOL, they are mirror images of one another. Finance is merely prospective accounting.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Tue May 24, 2011 5:05 pm

bdubs wrote:
aliarrow wrote:English. At least it would help for quicker reading comprehension/writing, which would make things a little easier in Law school (and on the LSAT).

LOL, they are mirror images of one another. Finance is merely prospective accounting.

Idk, I just found Accounting extremely boring, but Finance allowed for a little more creativity.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:05 pm

bdubs wrote:

The classes are very different despite the fact that those working in finance use a lot of accounting.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue May 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

The classes are very different despite the fact that those working in finance use a lot of accounting.

Depends on how you are taught. My accounting and finance courses were very similar.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Tue May 24, 2011 5:15 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Quite true. They compliment each other well and both require understanding of financial statements and the ability to do some basic TVM calculations and such, but beyond that they diverge significantly. I actually find finance a little more interesting, despite being an accounting major.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Well first of all, it really doesn't matter but I would encourage her to broaden her horizons or major is something that would get her a job. Only one of the options does that

I'd recommend the more academic majors compared to practical majors because they teach you to think in the abstract more. Idk what exactly business management people learn but it isn't rocket science and most managers actually learn by managing rather than at school.

I majored in economics because I liked math, didn't like science, and found the subject matter interesting but I think it is a good compromise. Economics is mostly academic but business people like the major even though it is a social science more than a business discipline (double points if it is in the business school). Economics basically teaches you to think about the margins and to look beyond the immediate consequences (along with more specific things).

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Tue May 24, 2011 5:27 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Well first of all, it really doesn't matter but I would encourage her to broaden her horizons or major is something that would get her a job. Only one of the options does that

I'd recommend the more academic majors compared to practical majors because they teach you to think in the abstract more. Idk what exactly business management people learn but it isn't rocket science and most managers actually learn by managing rather than at school.

I majored in economics because I liked math, didn't like science, and found the subject matter interesting but I think it is a good compromise. Economics is mostly academic but business people like the major even though it is a social science more than a business discipline (double points if it is in the business school). Economics basically teaches you to think about the margins and to look beyond the immediate consequences (along with more specific things).

I always hate when I see job listings requiring a degree in "Finance or Economics". It's like the hiring manager has no idea what economics majors actually study if they consider them the same (because it is more liberal arts, but with a math twist).

I agree with you for the most part. If you're 100% set on law and can't see yourself ever doing anything else then the abstract would be an okay route; but if you second guess it at all, major in something useful.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:32 pm

aliarrow wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Well first of all, it really doesn't matter but I would encourage her to broaden her horizons or major is something that would get her a job. Only one of the options does that

I always hate when I see job listings requiring a degree in "Finance or Economics". It's like the hiring manager has no idea what economics majors actually study if they consider them the same (because it is more liberal arts, but with a math twist).

I agree with you for the most part. If you're 100% set on law and can't see yourself ever doing anything else then the abstract would be an okay route; but if you second guess it at all, major in something useful.

I'd wager economics is the most represented major in financial firms.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue May 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

Many universities (especially the top ones) don't have undergraduate business programs. Even those that do frequently give the students a BS in Economics, rather than a BBA (Wharton UG, etc..).

jamaal.willis11

Postby jamaal.willis11 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 pm

What kind of majors would be more employable than Legal Studies or Marketing? She's not a very analytical person so that rules out Finance, Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, etc.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:24 pm

bdubs wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

Many universities (especially the top ones) don't have undergraduate business programs. Even those that do frequently give the students a BS in Economics, rather than a BBA (Wharton UG, etc..).

I realize, which is part of the reason I said that.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 pm

jamaal.willis11 wrote:What kind of majors would be more employable than Legal Studies or Marketing? She's not a very analytical person so that rules out Finance, Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, etc.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Accounting

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Legal Studies in Business? WTF type of major is that. Any major that is more than 2 words is a no go.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 pm

She should study something she is truly interested in. 1) She'll be more engaged and might actually get something out of the education 2) I would imagine people get higher GPAs in subjects they actually enjoy learning about and dealing with, as opposed to a field of study where the only reason you're involved is because you think it will lead to a higher paycheck.

I saw Art History as one of the minors listed. Maybe she should major in that and take a minor or double major in something more practical?

If you're not training for a specific field, accounting for example, an undergraduate degree is more about developing the ability to learn effectively for whatever career you end up in while hopefully laying a theoretical foundation in that field.

I doubled in History and Poly Sci- neither of which would get me a good job after undergrad. But I feel like I developed my writing and "critical thinking" (which is almost an empty-buzzword, frankly) skills far more than I would have if I had stuck it out in econ, a subject I realized I hated once I took a couple of classes in.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:08 pm

minnbills wrote:She should study something she is truly interested in. 1) She'll be more engaged and might actually get something out of the education 2) I would imagine people get higher GPAs in subjects they actually enjoy learning about and dealing with, as opposed to a field of study where the only reason you're involved is because you think it will lead to a higher paycheck.
I saw Art History as one of the minors listed. Maybe she should major in that and take a minor or double major in something more practical?

If you're not training for a specific field, accounting for example, an undergraduate degree is more about developing the ability to learn effectively for whatever career you end up in while hopefully laying a theoretical foundation in that field.

I doubled in History and Poly Sci- neither of which would get me a good job after undergrad. But I feel like I developed my writing and "critical thinking" (which is almost an empty-buzzword, frankly) skills far more than I would have if I had stuck it out in econ, a subject I realized I hated once I took a couple of classes in.
unfortunately, this is what our parents told us too, and it leads to massive unemployment/underemployment. No one knows as an 18 year old that law school is the right choice for them, or else you might be right.

suzige

Postby suzige » Tue May 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Why isn't your gf on here asking the questions on her own behalf?

jamaal.willis11

Postby jamaal.willis11 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 pm

suzige wrote:Why isn't your gf on here asking the questions on her own behalf?

She asked me and I didn't know, so I decided to ask you all. I'm sure she'll join the forum once her finals are over.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”