Military Service a plus or minus when applying? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Chicago425

New

Military Service a plus or minus when applying?

Post by Chicago425 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:19 pm

I am currently an undergrad considering going to law school. I know that before I apply I would want to spend 2-5 years getting some professional experience. One of the possibilities that I am strongly considering is joining the Navy. Does anyone have any insight into how that might play into my chances of getting admitted?

fatduck

Gold

Re: Military Service a plus or minus when applying?

Post by fatduck » Tue May 24, 2011 3:21 pm

maybe a very slight plus. some benefits as far as GI bill. but for the love of god, don't decide to enlist just because you think it might help you get into law school.

however, if you do, Air Force/Navy > Army.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Chicago425 wrote:I am currently an undergrad considering going to law school. I know that before I apply I would want to spend 2-5 years getting some professional experience. One of the possibilities that I am strongly considering is joining the Navy. Does anyone have any insight into how that might play into my chances of getting admitted?
Assuming you are discharged honorably, military service seems to count as good work experience, a good soft factor, and evidence of maturity/responsibility/leadership/etc. It can also give you good stuff to write your essays about, plus it can help pay for school.

I don't think I've seen anyone claim it can be a minus in any way.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Tue May 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Why do you want professional experience?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue May 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Most of us saw a small-medium size "bump," maybe worth 2-3 LSAT points at the most. The GI Bill is definitely a HUGE advantage though, especially if you go to a public law school (essentially a full ride+stipend).

Also I suggest instead of joining the Navy or Air Force, you just join the military. :lol:

icecold3000

Bronze

Post by icecold3000 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 pm

would you be enlisting or going to officer candidate school (OCS)? The life and life style of a lower enlisted soldiers/sailors/airmen is generally terrible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”