Law School Application Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
californiabeauar

New

Law School Application Question

Post by californiabeauar » Tue May 24, 2011 12:33 am

I worked part-time throughout college while remaining full-time but took a minimal course load. I want to make explicit that I wasn't a college slacker that took minimal classes to get 'A's' but I was required to make time for work in order to support myself. Is there a simple box/space I check on the application or should I attach an addendum to my transcript?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Law School Application Question

Post by Knock » Tue May 24, 2011 12:35 am

californiabeauar wrote:I worked part-time throughout college while remaining full-time but took a minimal course load. I want to make explicit that I wasn't a college slacker that took minimal classes to get 'A's' but I was required to make time for work in order to support myself. Is there a simple box/space I check on the application or should I attach an addendum to my transcript?
There is usually space to list work experience and on some applications, number of hours worked per week. You could submit an addendum, but it's unnecessary. Schools won't care at all that you took a minimal course load, especially since you remained a full-time student the whole time.

californiabeauar

New

Post by californiabeauar » Tue May 24, 2011 12:37 am

thanks for the reply!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue May 24, 2011 12:39 am

californiabeauar wrote:I worked part-time throughout college while remaining full-time but took a minimal course load. I want to make explicit that I wasn't a college slacker that took minimal classes to get 'A's' but I was required to make time for work in order to support myself. Is there a simple box/space I check on the application or should I attach an addendum to my transcript?
Tip for both apps and life: the less you explain away, the better, i.e. don't be defensive about things that you aren't being pressed on. A really low gpa might be something to preemptively explain, but a light course load is not.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 1:02 am

From my understanding a minimal course load is not something you need to explain away as long as you were fulltime. That said, it definitely is useful to communicate that you worked all through college.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue May 24, 2011 1:53 am

Corwin wrote:That said, it definitely is useful to communicate that you worked all through college.
Just to clarify, there is a place to do this on application forms, OP. There's no need to write an addendum.

jdMission

New

Post by jdMission » Tue May 24, 2011 1:24 pm

This is a great question. Although there may be an opportunity to check a box to explain that you worked through college, it might make sense to write an addendum. You do not want to apologize for your minimal course load, but you may want to take the opportunity to talk about balancing work and college and the challenges you faced and how you overcame them. This way you are leaving the admissions committee with a positive message about your determined character. Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Wichita Community College '91
Barry Law '95
Co-Founder jdMission

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue May 24, 2011 1:38 pm

jdMission wrote:This is a great question. Although there may be an opportunity to check a box to explain that you worked through college, it might make sense to write an addendum. You do not want to apologize for your minimal course load, but you may want to take the opportunity to talk about balancing work and college and the challenges you faced and how you overcame them. This way you are leaving the admissions committee with a positive message about your determined character. Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Princeton University '91
Columbia University '95
Co-Founder jdMission

wojo96

New

Post by wojo96 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:51 pm

/pretentious signature
/pretentious signature
/pretentious signature
/pretentious signature

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue May 24, 2011 1:58 pm

jdMission wrote:This is a great question. Although there may be an opportunity to check a box to explain that you worked through college, it might make sense to write an addendum. You do not want to apologize for your minimal course load, but you may want to take the opportunity to talk about balancing work and college and the challenges you faced and how you overcame them. This way you are leaving the admissions committee with a positive message about your determined character. Good luck to you!

Sunitha Ramaiah
Princeton University '91
Columbia University '95
Co-Founder jdMission
OMG! I will buy whatever you are selling! Look at those credentials!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Tue May 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Sunitha Ramaiah
Princeton University '91
Columbia University '95
Co-Founder jdMission
My signature is better.

Alexander Huffington-Rockefeller-Vanderbilt
University of Phoenix '01
Princeton Law '05
Co-Founder of Prestige World Wide

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Tue May 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Sunitha Ramaiah
Princeton University '91
Columbia University '95
Co-Founder jdMission

californiabeauar

New

Post by californiabeauar » Tue May 24, 2011 9:57 pm

to write an addendum or not? tis the question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue May 24, 2011 9:59 pm

californiabeauar wrote:to write an addendum or not? tis the question.
No. It's not the question. The answer is just "no."

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue May 24, 2011 10:09 pm

They are going to look at your LSAC GPA and that's about it. They don't really care how you get there unless you are applying to HYS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”